Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: True Bypass .... fact or fiction ?

Default Re: True Bypass .... fact or fiction ?

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    The problem with the "standard" Phase 90 is that it isn't true bypase, it's what MXR calls "True Hardwire Bypass", which is misleading, and not TB. I always prefer Phase and Flange in front of the amp FWIW, but as always, YMMV.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...ing-the-hype-1
    Yes, exactly. True Bypass is far better than that. I also prefer Phaser and Flanger in front of the amp as well. I guess it’s the sound of the albums I grew up listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    I love this article; posted it here before:

http://screaminfx.com/tech/why-and-w...ffer-pedal.htm

General rule of thumb: the higher the input imp. and the lower the output imp. - the better. Then the signal passes through strong.
    You can’t say that as a blanket statement. That precludes the Fuzz Face and it’s awesome pickup/pedal interaction, as well as some other pedals that use this (like the Mad Professor Royal Blue). Also, too high of an input impedance can be perceived as too bright. The TU-3 is an example of this. You’ll find people that upgraded from a TU-2 to a TU-3 and found their tone got brighter. The TU-3w actually has lower input impedance than the TU-3.

In the end, there’s no right or wrong, just preferences. Know how it all works so you can choose what works best for your situation.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    You can’t say that as a blanket statement. That precludes the Fuzz Face and it’s awesome pickup/pedal interaction, as well as some other pedals that use this (like the Mad Professor Royal Blue). Also, too high of an input impedance can be perceived as too bright. The TU-3 is an example of this. You’ll find people that upgraded from a TU-2 to a TU-3 and found their tone got brighter. The TU-3w actually has lower input impedance than the TU-3.

In the end, there’s no right or wrong, just preferences. Know how it all works so you can choose what works best for your situation.
    If you read the article, there are concessions regarding fuzz faces, wahs and the like due to their interaction with the guitar.
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

Quote Originally Posted by JMP/HBE View Post
    Whats wrong with talking about it ?
    Yeh. What's wrong with talking about it???

For what it's worth:

I for one have learned more in the last month or so thanks to these forums than I have in the past thirty years or so and it's BECAUSE of threads like this and ongoing discussions (some stuff that I didn't know about and some stuff that I didn't care about until now not realising just how important it is).

But thanks for all the info. everyone.

I'd indeed read one or two of those same articles previously. But all sort of "comes together" on this thread.

Cannot help but get the feeling that this is all somehow related to gain staging (or gain staging is related to all of this)???

Ultimate Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    The problem with the "standard" Phase 90 is that it isn't true bypase, it's what MXR calls "True Hardwire Bypass", which is misleading, and not TB. I always prefer Phase and Flange in front of the amp FWIW, but as always, YMMV.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...ing-the-hype-1
    In Dunlop/MXR lingo, "hardwire bypass" is the old MXR tone-sucking bypass where the input of the circuit is still connected when in bypass, "true hardwire bypass" is real true bypass where the signal goes from the input to the output without the circuit connected when in bypass. Dunlop has updated the bypass on some pedals and wahs to real true bypass over the years, but many still have the half-ass "hardwire bypass" that causes tone suck.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    If you read the article, there are concessions regarding fuzz faces, wahs and the like due to their interaction with the guitar.
    In fairness, those are pretty niche cases. In the big picture, the development of FET switching and consistent input/output impedance was a huge step forward for guitarists.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Ultimate Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    In fairness, those are pretty niche cases. In the big picture, the development of FET switching and consistent input/output impedance was a huge step forward for guitarists.
    Fuzz Faces have had true bypass switching since the beginning, one of the few vintage pedals that did have it.
    Al

A terrible tone sucker (even when the pedal switch is not engaged) is the Whammy second version (the black one).
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Get a pedal, plug it in. If you like it keep it, if it sucks get rid of it. I never factor in true bypass when buying a pedal. It either sounds great or it is gone.

As long as you never turn your pedal off, the type of bypass doesn't matter at all. :P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

I recently bought EHX Micro Pog. I might post some kind of review about it in future, but I'm still wrapping my head around what it can do and how to use it.

I use right after Big Muff in my chain. Trying it after buffered Korg DT-10 it started to make hideous wailing noises when upper octave anywhere over 0. Playing it before seemed to work.

Being buffered it did made annoying plasticky sheen on my tone. It was subtle enough to take some time to figure out what was wrong exactly tonewise.

I was already looking how to mod it true bypass when decided to try to switch Korg for true bypass (I installed switch for that when I bought it). It fixed it right up. Apparently those two just don't work together.

Example of why you don't want multiple buffered pedals in your chain.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

It makes your tone come alive, more sustain, you push the amp harder while still retaining your instrument real character, it is a talent booster on its own. And it helps digital modelers too, I modded a friend's Helix and put true bypass switches, I think everybody out there should try it.
    Who took my guitar?

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Can we talk about Abortion, Religion, Tonewoods or Politics next?

Quote Originally Posted by IMENATOR View Post
    It makes your tone come alive, more sustain, you push the amp harder while still retaining your instrument real character, it is a talent booster on its own. And it helps digital modelers too, I modded a friend's Helix and put true bypass switches, I think everybody out there should try it.
    Unless the non-true bypass pedal you're refering to actually has good transparent buffer with boost ability... which turns that other way around.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post

Tone woods had been done to death but the other 3 topics should be fresh. Lol

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by IMENATOR View Post
    Maybe 10 years ago that was true, but nowadays you've got it backwards. Most buffered pedals these days are extremely transparent outside of a few budget brands (Behringer is a big culprit in my experience).
    Like the fool I am and I'll always be
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    They can change their minds but they can't change me
    Oh, I know I could share it if you'd want me to
    If you're goin' my way, I'll go with you

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post

Can we Talk about Proper Capitalization next?
    Like the fool I am and I'll always be
    They can change their minds but they can't change me
    Oh, I know I could share it if you'd want me to
    If you're goin' my way, I'll go with you

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    too Risky -that One Might bring The forum Down.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    Also -topic, subject or course titles are capitalized in the English language.

Start a new thread and we can battle.

Oh sh*t!!!

ITS ON