Thread: Custom VS. Custom 8 Clips

Default Custom VS. Custom 8 Clips

I was looking to add some mid-range to my Custom so it sounds more like a Super '70. I had added an Alnico 8 to a Custom to hear the results. I noticed two things, many people put these in SG's, Ibanez SZ's and I couldn't find many clips. This wasn't done extremely scientifically but controlled the variables as much as possible. The playing isn't perfect or exactly the same as I am more of an improvisational player. I played with picking dynamics to see how the amp, pickups and pedals reacted also. These clips are a Seymour Duncan Custom and Custom 8 in an Ibanez SZ 720FM. Played through a Marshall Shred Master, boosted with a Snouse Black Box, into a Marshall 6100LM on the boosted track. The regular clean channel, the lowest gain channel for crunch and just the Shred Master for Drive. Recorded with a CAD E100 into a Presonus 16/4/2, normalized and uploaded. The speaker cab is a 100 watt greenback Marshall from '98.

Cleans
    250k Pot Custom

250k Pot Custom 8

500k Pot Custom 8

Crunch
    250k Pot Custom

250k Pot Custom 8

500k Pot Custom 8

Drive
    250k Pot Custom

250k Pot Custom 8

500k Pot Custom 8

Boosted Drive
    250k Pot Custom

250k Pot Custom 8

500k Pot Custom 8
    Last edited by Jeffsmusic4919; 12-31-2018 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Default Re: Custom VS. Custom 8 Clips

All in all, I am happy with the change. Any questions or comments are welcome.

I like the custom8 clip with 500k the most of all. (boosted drive).

With the 250k I prefer the standard custom.

Of course that's only going off sound, not feel. That's where I almost always like ceramics better, in the feel department.

Yes, I totally agree with you on all of that. The 500k helped make up for the change in highs. I never thought that I would ever mess with that custom in that guitar. Once it went in, it never came out till now. I also have ceramics in almost all of my guitars and agree I like the feel. There really is something about Super '70 that I really like for this tuning and style.The thing is that the testing for the SZ could've sounded way better. The reference tracks were done with an '81 Iceman with a Super '70 and sound way better to me. Seeing as my original idea was to compare the two and that guitar just kills with this setup, I never changed tone settings for the SZ. These SZ tracks sound kinda dull in comparison to the Iceman ones. I thought that my strings were as new as the ones on the Iceman and maybe they aren't, doh. That could be some of it, the Iceman has brass saddles and nut, that too could affect it as well.
    Last edited by Jeffsmusic4919; 01-01-2019 at 08:58 AM. Reason: accidental post

Here are the Iceman clips with Super '70.

Ben1962

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffsmusic4919 View Post
    Here are the Iceman clips with Super '70.

Man sounds great. I was waiting for Ronnie Van Zant to start singing

Thank you all for posting clips of these.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.