Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Incoming Ibanez day! (Damn you @Ascencion!!!)

Ultimate Tone Slacker metalchurch79's Avatar

Default Re: Incoming Ibanez day! (Damn you @Ascencion!!!)

I did not see it, my internet is slow today... Listening now

Edit:
    Sounds very good!! Love that Splawn also!
    Last edited by metalchurch79; 02-10-2019 at 12:04 PM.
    87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Thanks!!
    Yeah, I love these pickups. They are the biggest hidden gem out there.
    Those in the know....know!
    He offers a wide variety of pickups too. These are just two out of his lineup. I had a custom set of p90ís made to these specifications and they sound flippiní ridiculous. I love them.

Are they a more recent company?
    87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Iím not sure how long they have been around. From what I understand (and I may be mistaken) heís a one man operation out of Moscow.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    I had a JB installed in the bridge...Iím not so sure I really like it tbh. I mean, yes it sounds just like every 80ís hair band guitar tone but the upper mid spike might be a little more than I want to hear.
    Regarding the mid spike on the JB being a bit too much, a Custom may work well if you're after similar tonality. IMO a Custom is like a JB, but with a slightly lower frequency focus and tighter low end.

Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch79 View Post
    I tried many Duncans in my Ibanez over the years but to me they seemed best with an Evolution or a Breed. EMG-81ís sound good also, depends on what your into...
    Can't say I've tried an EMG-81 in an Ibanez, but I am a fan of the Evolution. That being said a Tone Zone is my favorite DMZ for bridge position in an RG. Coincidentally (or maybe not) I find a Tone Zone actually sounds very similar to a Custom, though it still has the DMZ thing going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Archer250's Avatar

Welp looks like I came back a bit too late.

Was about to say that I've had experiences with a JB in an RG

Way too nasally for my tastes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    Regarding the mid spike on the JB being a bit too much, a Custom may work well if you're after similar tonality. IMO a Custom is like a JB, but with a slightly lower frequency focus and tighter low end.

Can't say I've tried an EMG-81 in an Ibanez, but I am a fan of the Evolution. That being said a Tone Zone is my favorite DMZ for bridge position in an RG. Coincidentally (or maybe not) I find a Tone Zone actually sounds very similar to a Custom, though it still has the DMZ thing going on.
    Have you ever tried a Custom Custom in a basswood guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Have you ever tried a Custom Custom in a basswood guitar?
    My Charvel Model 4 mutt has a basswood body, and the Custom Custom is amazing. The Custom was good as well, but a little bass-heavy.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    My Charvel Model 4 mutt has a basswood body, and the Custom Custom is amazing. The Custom was good as well, but a little bass-heavy.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Good to know. Reason I asked is because Scott Splawn had told me that the CC was his favorite pickup for the Quickrod.
    His guitars are made from a mahogany center strip and alder sides so I wasnít sure how that might translate to basswood.
    Thanks for the info.

Based on comparing the RG I just picked up to the ash body Schecter I have, I think a CC would be too mid heavy for basswood with a rosewood board, IMHO anyway. My RG has a Tone Zone in the bridge and the Schecter has an Air Zone, the RG is almost too thick sounding, at least using the same settings as the Schectum. I'm thinking about trying a set of Transitions that I have in the RG, or maybe an EVO 2 and a PAF Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    Based on comparing the RG I just picked up to the ash body Schecter I have, I think a CC would be too mid heavy for basswood with a rosewood board, IMHO anyway. My RG has a Tone Zone in the bridge and the Schecter has an Air Zone, the RG is almost too thick sounding, at least using the same settings as the Schectum. I'm thinking about trying a set of Transitions that I have in the RG, or maybe an EVO 2 and a PAF Pro.
    I have a set of BKP Rebel Yell that I was going to install but unfortunately they are long legged...

I haven't tried BKPs, I usually just go Dmz in basswood, most of their pickups seem to be geared to work well with Ibzs.

I never tried any of the Customs but its on my list as well. Actually I want two of them so I can make double fillisters. Im guessing an A8 and the 2xA5 magnets as well as the ceramic (SH-5) will be among my favs.

I tried an A8 in a TB4 with double rows of hex in my basswood 87 Model-3 last night and I really liked that version of this pickup alot! I also very much liked it with double fillisters with a ceramic and then an A5... I havent tried the 2xA5 in it yet.

I haven't tried BKPs, I usually just go Dmz in basswood, most of their pickups seem to be geared to work well with Ibzs.
    I have a Super D and a Bluesbucker laying around not being used...
    I just removed the cover on the Bluesbucker last Saturday in anticipation of installing it in the Ibby.

That might be a good combo, hard to go wrong with a Super D!

That might be a good combo, hard to go wrong with a Super D!
    For the neck I also have a 36th Anny...
    I think Iím leaning toward the BBucker because it has a really sweet too end...nice and round.
    The 36th is super thick sounding but maybe a little tubby in the low end....what are your thoughts on those two?

Unfortunately I haven't tried either one so I can't help you with those. Let me know what you try and how it works out.

Will do

You should try an A8 magnet in your JB, I think you'd really like it. I've been jamming on my TB-4 double hex with A8 since last night and so far out of all the magnets Ive tried so far this is def my fav.

Did you get a short list of neck pickups going yet, or you gonna wait to sort out the bridge position first and then build around that? Sometimes that's best cause you'll have a baseline established at that point.

Default Incoming Ibanez day! (Damn you @Ascencion!!!)

So today unplugged into my Blackstar HT-20 and about 20 seconds in I had a tube failure.
    So I replaced and biased up a new set of JJ 6Ca7ís.
    The JB actually sounded pretty damn good! It still has that high mid thing going on, which Iím not in love with.
    I emailed Fokin today asking about a set...Iím hoping to hear back tomorrow. I just love his pickups....the set that I typically get from him has a low mid thing going on which, to my ears is perfect.

Edit:
    Where do you get your magnets from? Addictionfx?
    Iím absolutely not opposed to swapping a different mag into that JB.