Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Peavey Windsor Effects Loop/Boost Issue

Default Re: Peavey Windsor Effects Loop/Boost Issue

I think you may have this wrong.Name:  WindsorJumpersAndCuts-1.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  72.9 KB
    I think you've got the long red wire anchored at the wrong point.
    Is there another cut in the track where I've put the blue next to the arrow. Must be some where or it would make no sense adding that jumper wire there.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenVulture View Post
    I think you may have this wrong.
    I think you've got the long red wire anchored at the wrong point.
    Is there another cut in the track where I've put the blue next to the arrow. Must be some where or it would make no sense adding that jumper wire there.
    Absolutely right. Looks like there IS an additional cut that was hiding underneath the adhesive on the red wire. This cuts the track between R7 -> C8 that runs underneath the relay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WindsorJumpersAndCuts.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	95743

I've been a bit busy to get to this.
    When you turn the amp on , do you hear the relay switches click over [ or when you turn it off ] ?
    Forgot to reply to this. The relays do not click when I turn the amp on or off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aneurysm5000 View Post
    Forgot to reply to this. The relays do not click when I turn the amp on or off.

I revised this. I'm not sure when you tested the relays that you got the jist of what I meant. The green arrow I've put in point to the place to try momentary grounding with a test lead. In other words ground the lead at one end and tap the other end on the arrow points momentarily and off again and repeat a few times. If there is power going into the relay on the other side of that diode, it should switch.[ click ].Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windsor jumpers-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	95818
    No response and they may be damaged.With the power off and residual power subsided, you could always test those coils by setting your multi meter to [ low]Ohms and test each side of the diode on each relay. One way will give you a diode reading and value. Reversed should give you the coil Ohmage. If there is none, it's shot.

Default Peavey Windsor Effects Loop/Boost Issue

Thank you! Looked up videos on how to do it and thought I got the gist. Apparently I did not. Will try again tonight.

I revised this. I'm not sure when you tested the relays that you got the jist of what I meant. The green arrow I've put in point to the place to try momentary grounding with a test lead. In other words ground the lead at one end and tap the other end on the arrow points momentarily and off again and repeat a few times. If there is power going into the relay on the other side of that diode, it should switch.[ click ].
    No response and they may be damaged.With the power off and residual power subsided, you could always test those coils by setting your multi meter to [ low]Ohms and test each side of the diode on each relay. One way will give you a diode reading and value. Reversed should give you the coil Ohmage. If there is none, it's shot.
    Here are my findings.

I took a probe and attached an alligator clip to the end that goes into the multimeter which I then clipped on the amp chassis.

I then took the probe and with the amp power on I touched the diode ends on the same sides of c22 and c38 (sides indicated by green arrows) for both relays. No click.

I turned the amp off and waited about 15 minutes. I then measured readings from both sides of the diodes for the relays. Took readings at 200 and 2k.

SK102

@200 ohms
    OL

@2k ohms

Sk101

@200 ohms
    OL

@2k

Here are my findings.

I took a probe and attached an alligator clip to the end that goes into the multimeter which I then clipped on the amp chassis.

I then took the probe and with the amp power on I touched the diode ends on the same sides of c22 and c38 (sides indicated by green arrows) for both relays. No click.

I turned the amp off and waited about 15 minutes. I then measured readings from both sides of the diodes for the relays. Took readings at 200 and 2k.

SK102

@200 ohms
    OL

@2k ohms

Sk101

@200 ohms
    OL

@2k

They seem ok. I'm wondering why you can't get a response from them. The diodes seem ok too.
    Did you make sure there was power on the other side of the diode ?
    Have you got a 9v battery [ like for an FX pedal ] around. With the amp turned off try connecting the 9v momentarily. Negative to the green arrow point , positive on the other side of the diode.
    Last edited by GoldenVulture; 02-09-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Default Peavey Windsor Effects Loop/Boost Issue

They seem ok. I'm wondering why you can't get a response from them. The diodes seem ok too.
    Did you make sure there was power on the other side of the diode ?
    Have you got a 9v battery [ like for an FX pedal ] around. With the amp turned off try connecting the 9v momentarily. Negative to the green arrow point , positive on the other side of the diode.
    Grabbed a 9 volt and itís clicking fine on both relays. I donít know but Iím thinking maybe I missed something in the readings? I might just spend some time again and trace the voltage all the way to the relays.

Last edited by aneurysm5000; 02-09-2019 at 02:18 PM.

Grabbed a 9 volt and itís clicking fine on both relays. I donít know but Iím thinking maybe I missed something in the readings? I might just spend some time again and trace the voltage all the way to the relays.

Here are the readings I took again.

Note that all readings were taken with multimeter set at 200m V except for D2 and R22 which were taken at 600 V. The side of R22 coming from D2 was taken at 600V but the other side was taken at 200m V.

Grabbed a 9 volt and it’s clicking fine on both relays. I don’t know but I’m thinking maybe I missed something in the readings? I might just spend some time again and trace the voltage all the way to the relays.

Good, the relays are working. I'll look at your Volt readings a bit later. It's what's happening after the relays [ where they go to the switch plug ] is probably where the problem is. Have you tested the switch [ unplugged ] for continuity or shorts ?
    Last edited by GoldenVulture; 02-09-2019 at 03:24 PM.

The red lines are the relay connects to the switch plug. With no switch plugged in they connect directly to R37 which then grounds them from the other side. I'm figuring when you turn the amp on [ no switch plugged in ] the relays should activate immediately. When you plug in the switch it re-routs them through the switches.One way[ on the switches ] connects them, the other way disconnects them , causing the relays to switch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windsor RelaysSwitch-1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	95858

Also the 0.5v at the emitter of Q1 looks too low. You were getting a replacement for that transistor , weren't you ?

The red lines are the relay connects to the switch plug. With no switch plugged in they connect directly to R37 which then grounds them from the other side. I'm figuring when you turn the amp on [ no switch plugged in ] the relays should activate immediately. When you plug in the switch it re-routs them through the switches.One way[ on the switches ] connects them, the other way disconnects them , causing the relays to switch.

Also the 0.5v at the emitter of Q1 looks too low. You were getting a replacement for that transistor , weren't you ?
    I was expecting the new part by Tuesday unfortunately I just got a message from Amazon saying the seller has not confirmed the item shipped. I think Iíll cancel the order and keep looking.

I did check the switch to ensure it works. LEDs light up as expected and toggle when the switches are clicked.

Iíll update once I get the transistor in!

Hey everyone just an update.

Postal service lost my first shipment so I got refunded.

Ordered again and I should get the parts tomorrow.

Sorry for the huge gap. Life got in the way.

I finally carved some time to install the new transistor but unfortunately the issue was not fixed and am still getting the same readings (0.5 at the emitter). Effects loop and boost still donít work.

Iím considering just taking it to a shop at this point.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Nostalgic Distortion's Avatar

This has got to be the most effort ever put into fixing a Peavey Windsor....

The other guitar player in my band has 6-7 of them down in his basement right now because he’s been using them live for years & every time he encounters a issue he just spends $200-$300 & buys another one....
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
    The other guitar player in my band has 6-7 of them down in his basement right now because he’s been using them live for years & every time he encounters a issue he just spends $200-$300 & buys another one....
    Well, let him know I've got his next one. Brand new. Only been on for maybe 10 minutes.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Nostalgic Distortion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    Well, let him know I've got his next one. Brand new. Only been on for maybe 10 minutes.

Thanks man, I’ll definitely tell him...
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???