Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Hows does your brain work

Default Re: Hows does your brain work

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Think of it like this...
    Each mode creates a “mood” if you will.
    Ionian...is like a sticky sweet major sound. Like the “Happy Birthday” melody.

Mixolydian is like a darker blusier major sound. Off the top of my head I can’t think of an example.

And Lydian has a “dreamy” quality. Joe Satriani uses this mode a lot.

Aeolian is the natural minor scale...I’m sure you’re very familiar with its sound. It’s all over rock music.

Also, I think you had mentioned that you’re familiar with he exotic sound of Phrygian.

And Dorian has a very smooth minor sound. Think Carlos Santana.

Etc....think of a modal sound as the mood you hear in it.

I think 99% of rock guitarists could learn just Dorian and Mixolydian and call it a day. As far as I can tell, nobody needs to learn Locrian, Satriani is the only guitarist in the world who uses Lydian, and Phrygian is strictly for metal and maybe some flamenco.

:P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I think 99% of rock guitarists could learn just Dorian and Mixolydian and call it a day. As far as I can tell, nobody needs to learn Locrian, Satriani is the only guitarist in the world who uses Lydian, and Phrygian is strictly for metal and maybe some flamenco.
    I need to learn new chops in order to get Dorian and Mixolydian working. Ionian too!!! It's a matter of getting out of the rut that I'm instantly drawn to the moment I pick up a guitar: it's either Aeolian or Phrygian, depending on if it's rock or metal. I know HOW to do it, but each and every one of my guitars has this attitude problem and simply won't comply.

Issue...??? "Too much stuff half started, or is it half finished...???"

Quote Originally Posted by Gransen View Post
    I need to learn new chops in order to get Dorian and Mixolydian working. Ionian too!!! It's a matter of getting out of the rut that I'm instantly drawn to the moment I pick up a guitar: it's either Aeolian or Phrygian, depending on if it's rock or metal. I know HOW to do it, but each and every one of my guitars has this attitude problem and simply won't comply.

Issue...??? "Too much stuff half started, or is it half finished...???"

Just type *mode you want to learn* + "licks" into youtube. Find a few that you like the sound of and learn them . . . then type 'mode you want to learn* + "backing track" and practice jamming along. It's the only way that I ever remember stuff.

The more licks that you learn, the more you understand how to make the scale musical . . . rather than just learning what the notes are.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

For me, I struggled for years to play anything modally. I understood how all of the scales connected but I couldnít make the various modal sounds.
    UNTIL, I began studying CAGED. I had a previous teacher that felt like you do. And he wouldnít teach me CAGED.
    The current teacher I have now feels different. And I must say, for me CAGED is the best thing to ever happen to my playing. And Iíve just scratched the surface.
    Iíve never found a use for Locrian except for maybe adding a diminished run to something (which Iím not very good at anyway).
    But the more I explore the modes the more I begin to hear them all over. Not necessarily full blown songs in Lydian (for ex. ) bu little bits and pieces for embellishment.

But yes, youíre not wrong about rock players getting by on just a few things.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    Just type *mode you want to learn* + "licks" into youtube. Find a few that you like the sound of and learn them . . . then type 'mode you want to learn* + "backing track" and practice jamming along. It's the only way that I ever remember stuff.

The more licks that you learn, the more you understand how to make the scale musical . . . rather than just learning what the notes are.
    That's an amazingly stupidly easy answer. I accidentally found Phrygian mode. I've been trying to accidentally find the other modes, and it just ain't workin'.

I had written a series of blogs on how I started to hear the difference, and the types of chord progressions I am talking about. Maybe they can help a bit.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Here’s a song I wrote/recorded a couple of years ago. It’s a bit repetitive but I was just trying to get a few ideas down on tape...
    Hear how I specifically remained in key and targeted the particular notes I wanted....and the harmonies...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yg17rmfp1...e%206.wav?dl=0
    Sorry I missed hat part of your post..had no idea you posted a song.

Here's the thing..it's a nice song. Catchy etc..but it sounds to me like your wearing your influence way too strongly on your sleeve which makes it a tad unremarkable. I think anyone can tell who that influence is if I can & I don't even listen to/like the guy's stuff. Also, to my ears it lacks some energy/spontainety/excitement & there are no surprises..

Not everyone strives to remain in key playing only the "right" notes, or finds it desirable. Some of us find it boring & predictable ..kinda like reading a whodunnit backwards (you always know what's coming next)

I think injecting a tune like that with something a bit more individual/personal would go a long way in getting people's attention by standing out & making it your own. It does'nt help that your influence for this tune is also almost every other youtube shredder's influence.

My clips are'nt "songs"..they're jams along to a single looped riff on a loop pedal..and 99% of them are played right through because that's what I do. I personally don't think they lack melody unless I'm aiming for somthing else (speed for instance) and even then there's always melody as well. Having said that, I don't figure things out beforehand. Always play what comes to mind as it comes to mind (why preconceptions like applied theory are an unwelcome disruption & screw up the flow) and things like layered harmonies are'nt an option. Once I press "stop" I'm done with the clip. This approach is what I call "practice" whether I record/post it up or not.

While the whole happy/sugary/saccharine thing is'nt what I'm into at all, I prefer bluesy or darker/stranger melodies. I've given it a go..although I will always slip some venom (tapping/shred-o-rama) into that saccharine sweetness

These are done with my loop pedal as usual though I mixed them in Audacity later.. don't think they lack for melody at all although they have dollops of my trademark tapping & shred as usual..

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 02-08-2019 at 09:05 PM.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Sometimes, I just get stuff. Most of the time, I work on it. Usually, from a bunch of different angles.
    Over time, it seems to make a difference.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I had written a series of blogs on how I started to hear the difference, and the types of chord progressions I am talking about. Maybe they can help a bit.
    Good one! Those sound samples of the different modes really helped.

From what I heard, Lydian and Mixolydian are my two most logical next modes to explore. I need major scales in my arsenal, I've got virtually nothing, and Ionian doesn't work.

Also, I've been looking at Dorian, and I'm like, "Why can't I get this thing to sound likable..???" When I heard your sound bite, I get it: "Cheer up, things will get better. Here, have a Mentos...!!!" Maybe someday I'll have a Mentos. Not today, Mincer, not today...

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    Sorry I missed hat part of your post..had no idea you posted a song.

Here's the thing..it's a nice song. Catchy etc..but it sounds to me like your wearing your influence way too strongly on your sleeve which makes it a tad unremarkable. I think anyone can tell who that influence is if I can & I don't even listen to/like the guy's stuff. Also, to my ears it lacks some energy/spontainety/excitement & there are no surprises..

Not everyone strives to remain in key playing only the "right" notes, or finds it desirable. Some of us find it boring & predictable ..kinda like reading a whodunnit backwards (you always know what's coming next)

I think injecting a tune like that with something a bit more individual/personal would go a long way in getting people's attention by standing out & making it your own. It does'nt help that your influence for this tune is also almost every other youtube shredder's influence.

My clips are'nt "songs"..they're jams along to a single looped riff on a loop pedal..and 99% of them are played right through because that's what I do. I personally don't think they lack melody unless I'm aiming for somthing else (speed for instance) and even then there's always melody as well. Having said that, I don't figure things out beforehand. Always play what comes to mind as it comes to mind (why preconceptions like applied theory are an unwelcome disruption & screw up the flow) and things like layered harmonies are'nt an option. Once I press "stop" I'm done with the clip. This approach is what I call "practice" whether I record/post it up or not.

While the whole happy/sugary/saccharine thing is'nt what I'm into at all, I prefer bluesy or darker/stranger melodies. I've given it a go..although I will always slip some venom (tapping/shred-o-rama) into that saccharine sweetness

These are done with my loop pedal as usual though I mixed them in Audacity later.. don't think they lack for melody at all although they have dollops of my trademark tapping & shred as usual..

I agree with you. I mentioned when I posted that clip that it was repetitive and was really me just trying to get an idea out. Some spontaneity etc would surely add spice.
    Iím curious who you feel the influence is? I honestly didnít intentionally try to do something like somebody else.
    Th main little riff and melody I had was one of those things that I just had in my head and needed to get out. The rest kind of happened as I was recording.

Hey, I hope I wasnít offensive with my earlier comments. I think youíre a good player, for sure. But for me, I prefer more inside playing but thatís just me.
    And like I said, whatever makes us happy and want to play and create music....Iím all for that.
    I apologize if I came across too judgmental.

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    Sometimes, I just get stuff. Most of the time, I work on it. Usually, from a bunch of different angles.
    Over time, it seems to make a difference.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    This happens with me too. Sometimes I really struggle with something for a while...then I have that A-HA!! moment when I finally get it.

I agree with you. I mentioned when I posted that clip that it was repetitive and was really me just trying to get an idea out. Some spontaneity etc would surely add spice.
    I’m curious who you feel the influence is? I honestly didn’t intentionally try to do something like somebody else.
    Th main little riff and melody I had was one of those things that I just had in my head and needed to get out. The rest kind of happened as I was recording.

Hey, I hope I wasn’t offensive with my earlier comments. I think you’re a good player, for sure. But for me, I prefer more inside playing but that’s just me.
    And like I said, whatever makes us happy and want to play and create music....I’m all for that.
    I apologize if I came across too judgmental.
    I'm absolutely cool with people speaking their mind..everyone has preferences & stuff that does/does'nt appeal to them so don't worry about it

I heard a lot of Satriani in your clip ..that's who I meant. Did'nt mean to suggest you were "ripping him off" . We're all influenced by other players. But yeah ..it reminded me of Satch. I guess, conversly, you could take that as a compliment

But yeah, there's too many players that want to sound like him out there imo.. & one Satch is bad enough (j'k ...ok ..maybe not)

But that brings me back to what I was saying ..musical taste is a funny thing. One man's meat is another man's poison..

Youtube

Bandcamp

I'm absolutely cool with people speaking their mind..everyone has preferences & stuff that does/does'nt appeal to them so don't worry about it

I heard a lot of Satriani in your clip ..that's who I meant. Did'nt mean to suggest you were "ripping him off" . We're all influenced by other players. But yeah ..it reminded me of Satch. I guess, conversly, you could take that as a compliment

But yeah, there's too many players that want to sound like him out there imo.. & one Satch is bad enough (j'k ...ok ..maybe not)

But that brings me back to what I was saying ..musical taste is a funny thing. One man's meat is another man's poison..
    Although I do like Satch, I havenít really listened to a whole lot since the Surfing album. Yes, he is typically a very inside player. Maybe thatís why I like him.

Ben1962

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Links?

Perhaps I've understood something wrong, or just have different way of looking at it, but I don't get about "learning" modes or basic scales.

In my time of playing music I've learned exactly one scale thorough: The major scale.

Now to to play modes I just shift the root for the mode I want to play. Or scale derived from major scale. To play blues or pentatonic I just leave out or add notes to that basic scale. I thought that's what every musician does, there's really no "learning the scale", or mode. It's just a matter of what notes you use for the piece.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    Perhaps I've understood something wrong, or just have different way of looking at it, but I don't get about "learning" modes or basic scales.

In my time of playing music I've learned exactly one scale thorough: The major scale.

Now to to play modes I just shift the root for the mode I want to play. Or scale derived from major scale. To play blues or pentatonic I just leave out or add notes to that basic scale. I thought that's what every musician does, there's really no "learning the scale", or mode. It's just a matter of what notes you use for the piece.
    Not sure understand what your saying. Can you give an example of what you might do if say, you want to take the major scale you know and play something in Dorian?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1962 View Post
    Links?
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/?s=modes&post_type=

Quote Originally Posted by Ben1962 View Post
    Links?
    See how the words ďwritten a series of blogsĒ are in a different color in Mincerís post...
    Click on those words...thatís the link.

Dude....I had no idea you were a Fokin guy!
    I have those pickups in 4 guitars....he makes AMAZING pickups.