Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SD friendly forum solo contest 2 ~ Alternate. reject & fail takes!

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Default SD friendly forum solo contest 2 ~ Alternate. reject & fail takes!

Yeah..why limit yourself?

Sloppy seconds/B & C takes, stuff you messed up (but maybe is'nt all that bad) ..this is the chance for your rejects & **** up's big & small to have their spot in the sun..

Thought I'd give my solo another shot this morning...messed up a bit, but I liked the ending

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Default Re: SD friendly forum solo contest 2 ~ Alternate. reject & fail takes!

Also, wrong thread for it ..but I don't want to confuse thing's in the main (Kamanda's) Solo contest thread, so here's the obligatory youtube video for my default entry from the night before that's up there in the contest thread...

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Ben1962

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    Yeah..why limit yourself?

Sloppy seconds/B & C takes, stuff you messed up (but maybe is'nt all that bad) ..this is the chance for your rejects & **** up's big & small to have their spot in the sun..

Thought I'd give my solo another shot this morning...messed up a bit, but I liked the ending

You tuned down half a step? LOL

Yeah, all my axes are tuned to Eb & I did'nt want to mess with their setup's...

...made for some confusing moments (1:20)

Youtube

Bandcamp

Ben1962

Got a capo? I can hear the overtones clashing, maybe even a hair net?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

haha..what's a hairnet? I kinda like them clashing (sounds cool) ..some won't but then that's how it goes

What I don't like is sticking a hair tie/wristband or w/e over my fretboard..

Youtube

Bandcamp

Everything that I've done so far would be postable in this thread.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Don't beat yourself up..you crank out some mean thrash chuggery

Youtube

Bandcamp

Thanks for the encouragement.
    I recorded about 11 takes yesterday, and the last one was almost good enough for me to put up.

If you're anything like me (& most other guitar players I think...) yo're never going to be 100% satisfied with anything you do. Just do the best you can that you're reasonably happy with & post up ..it's what I do .. 'cause otherwise there's alway's going to be some niggling **** holding you back .."should've done this here ..tried that there" ..stuff like that.

..that's why threads like this one exist

Youtube

Bandcamp

True.
    I'm not a complete perfectionist, and once I get the best version that I can live with, I will be posting it. Probably within the next few days.

Yeah, just be true to yourself. ..besides it's always going to be subjective .. what's perfect to you might not be perfect to the next guy

Things are way more chill here on SDF but when I was on another forum & posted stuff up I was always getting "should'nt be like that, timing sucks ..off-key and w/e" (about the niggliest of **** or nothing at all, they just could'nt bear the fact that I did things my own way instead of "what should be".) but it would go on & on with everyone getting more & more worked up about it until they were all pretty much frothing at the mouth (lol..why??)

In short, you're never going to please everyone.

So here's the thing I've always done.. If it sounds good to me up it goes ..& if anyone feels a need to b.itch/vent ..rock on (..sticks & stones)
    Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 01-27-2019 at 09:39 PM.

Youtube

Bandcamp

If I'm trying to record a part and after 10 takes it still doesn't sound right, I'm probably trying to force something that isn't me as a guitar player. Play to your strengths, and avoid your weaknesses when recording . . . and this will be a bit different for everyone. Most people would rather listen to a confident sounding simple pentatonic riff played well than a strict alternate picked string skipping Locrian/Phyrigian dominant one that the guitarist can barely squeeze out. It's only music nerds who care about the latter - and they're going to be unhappy with whatever you play anyway. :P

Perfect is the enemy of good. Knock it out and move on. If you can't quite nail the vibe of what you were working on, woodshed it so next time is better.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Ben1962

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    If I'm trying to record a part and after 10 takes it still doesn't sound right, I'm probably trying to force something that isn't me as a guitar player. Play to your strengths, and avoid your weaknesses when recording . . . and this will be a bit different for everyone. Most people would rather listen to a confident sounding simple pentatonic riff played well than a strict alternate picked string skipping Locrian/Phyrigian dominant one that the guitarist can barely squeeze out. It's only music nerds who care about the latter - and they're going to be unhappy with whatever you play anyway. :P

Perfect is the enemy of good. Knock it out and move on. If you can't quite nail the vibe of what you were working on, woodshed it so next time is better.
    If perfect is the enemy of good, I must be really good LOL

lol, you're in the right thread then..post up

More failure from yesterday..really outdid myself here

Gonna try something with a wah or maybe some Indian scales when I have the time ..either way...more to come

Youtube

Bandcamp

Turned this around on it's head for a bit of fun

Did'nt think it could work but surprisingly it's not bad

Middleastern/Indian hard rock jam..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csgo7mSUvdk

The only fail here was that I used a pretty ****ty / cheesy sounding patch from the Zoom pedal..wanted some chorus in there for the right vibe, but this patch pretty much sucked

Youtube

Bandcamp

I poop my pants and wear KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Great idea!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Well, after playing all afternoon, I'm proud to say that I can post at least one fail.
    https://soundcloud.com/demanic-1/bounce02

Dude....DOOOOOOOOOOMMM!!!! Your're in the wrong thread..post it up there in the contest thread.. that second version especially is pure WIN

Not kidding. It's both a different/interesting approach & very listenable. You did a great job with that

Youtube

Bandcamp