Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awhile back, I said I hated pedals...

8 strings of madness! JB_From_Hell's Avatar

Default Awhile back, I said I hated pedals...

... and now, there's a Crybaby, Green Rhino, Soul Food, DS-1, Dan-O Fab Distortion, EHX Lumberjack, and Phase 90 between my guitar and amp, and I'm bummed there's no delay, harmonic trem, or 'verb pedal.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Default Re: Awhile back, I said I hated pedals...

I used to tell people that anyone with a pedal board could not be trusted..... sometimes while I plugged together 6-8 pedals on the stage..

now I have 4 total pedal boards ... people change I guess.

Tone Member

Sometimes I flip my Spider V amp to a preset that I use often, and forget that it doesn't even have a distortion pedal assigned! Just a high-gain amp model, plenty of overdrive, and just the right amount of reverb...and it's too hot for some of the other songs that I play.

Then I flip to another amp preset, and I'm mad because I need a fifth open spot for pedal effects, because it doesn't quite sound like the world is coming to an end as I'm playing...

For the record, since 1995, there's ALWAYS been a Crybaby between my guitar and amp.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    For the record, since 1995, there's ALWAYS been a Crybaby between my guitar and amp.

Little Pigbacon

Twenty years ago I thought a Digitech RP-14d was going to be my last guitar effects purchase. Now I have over fifty pedals and no desire to stop. I love these goddamned things.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    Twenty years ago I thought a Digitech RP-14d was going to be my last guitar effects purchase. Now I have over fifty pedals and no desire to stop. I love these goddamned things.
    I'm thinking about making the change from multi-effects to a pedal board. One thing that holds me back in that thinking is what you just wrote!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gransen View Post
    I'm thinking about making the change from multi-effects to a pedal board. One thing that holds me back in that thinking is what you just wrote!!!
    Buy one good pedal, and see how much you like how it sounds better than the multi. Then, make a list of all the guitarists with the best tones. How many are using processors?

Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

I only ever use one pedal, often none. But I have been on a quest to try one of pretty much every type of gain & boost pedal ever made. Think I have bought and sold something like 50 in the last few years. Found a guy to build me the obscure, rare, or obsolete ones. I guess this is my new hobby. Will probably be selling a handbuilt Colorsound Overdriver clone soon. Then buy a klone. After that I don't think there is much left to try...

Little Pigbacon

Quote Originally Posted by Gransen View Post
    Thing is, no processor has achieved all my goals or come close to making me as happy as these pedals do. I get the sounds I want, plus others I could never imagine, along with modularity and a vast ability to upgrade.

Tone Member

Buy one good pedal, and see how much you like how it sounds better than the multi. Then, make a list of all the guitarists with the best tones. How many are using processors?
    Totally good advice, and that's the approach that I'm thinking of when determining which pedal(s) to buy.

But I'm pretty flexible as far as those minor differences that I hear in that crap-wad of pedal models to chose from in my Spider V amp. So, for me, I don't expect the move from multi-effects to a pedal board to be an improvement in tone, but a better way to control it in order to change the sound the way that I want it changed.

I've been messing with the order of the pedals in the multi-effects setup, and I gotta tell ya, if there's something that going to change someone's overall sound, it's how those pedals are ordered...!!! THAT'S what I'm looking at!

With my current setup, I've got compression locked in as the only option for the first bank, and reverb locked in as the only option for the last bank. Then I've got 3 banks for everything else. I like using a delay pedal right before the reverb, and cutting it just before the reverb decays. Now I'm down to 2 banks because I just fixed my reverb to the way that I like it. I can use the amp's overdrive to get me distorted, and that saves a bank...and I get to chose from a TON of amp models, some of which are really super hot.

But I'm starting to run into a brick wall. What if I actually want to use a distortion pedal AFTER something else in order to alter the tone. I've then got whatever else I wanted, and the distortion pedal, and that's it. What if I need more cowbell...???

That's why I'm concerned about just exactly how many pedals it takes to equal "the right amount of cowbell."

^ that sounds really complicated. I grab between none and all of the pedals I listed above, a handful of PW right angle patch cords, and plug in whatever to make some noise. I love things like cooking and building things, so plugging and unplugging and twisting knobs and turning pedals on and off is way more satisfying to my soul than programming a processor.

Tone Member

^ that sounds really complicated. I grab between none and all of the pedals I listed above, a handful of PW right angle patch cords, and plug in whatever to make some noise. I love things like cooking and building things, so plugging and unplugging and twisting knobs and turning pedals on and off is way more satisfying to my soul than programming a processor.
    Thank you. And now I'm back to where I was originally, because this makes more sense to me as a guitar player.

Funny, you said that it sound really complicated! And I'm like, "All I did was dumb it down." But I see where you're coming from...a pedal board is more liberating for you. That's what I'm expecting too: "Liberty through over-complicating things exactly as much as they need to be." (Trust me, if you worked with a processor, you'd get bored because clicking a mouse just isn't the same as dials and buttons and knobs and wires and stuff that needs to get physically moved over to here because it's just wrong to leave it where I hate it...and now what do I do for that one song because it needs to be right where it's at...)

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Man, I run/have ran the range:

Straight to amp
    A choice pedal or two
    20 pedals on the ground
    A board of 12
    Mini Board of Mooers
    Multi FX into amp front
    Pedals in the front + Multi FX in the loop

I effing love it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

There's something to be said for just plugging straight into an amp. For gigs it's my favorite approach, using a tuner pedal and maybe a delay and that's it.

However, pedals make my amp more usable at lower volumes so at home it's a must.

My Tweaker sounds muddy as hell overdriven at low volumes on it's own. Take the master volume past 11 o' clock and it opens up, but by that point all my orifices bleed so I'd rather use a bright distortion pedal in front.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Little Pigbacon

See, if all of my orifices bled instead of my neighbors banging on the wall and calling the cops, I would play loud. Loud.

Not that the “all orifices” part sounds that appealing. It’s just that I can always put down a tarp or something and deal with it.
    Last edited by Little Pigbacon; 02-10-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    See, if all of my orifices bled instead of my neighbors banging on the wall and calling the cops, I would play loud. Loud.

Not that the “all orifices” part sounds that appealing. It’s just that I can always put down a tarp or something and deal with it.
    Thank you for that! I just laughed out loud for a while, with a slight hint of self-recognition buried under the surface.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    There's something to be said for just plugging straight into an amp. For gigs it's my favorite approach, using a tuner pedal and maybe a delay and that's it.
    This is my preferred approach right now.

I've done it all.. modeling amp, pedal board with too many pedals, multifx.. forget all that stuff. Nothing beats a good amp.

I have my guitar -> chromatic tuner pedal -> amp -> delay in FX loop -> awesome sound. Simple setup and rocks the hell out.

IMHO, It's all about having the right amp to simplify the setup.
    ROCK ON.

Then, make a list of all the guitarists with the best tones. How many are using processors?
    On records? If we are talking post-mid-80s, chances are that most effects that don't need to go before the preamp (such as distortion pedals) were added at the board.
    Last edited by Sirion; 02-11-2019 at 03:44 AM.

Tone Member

I hear a lot of you say, "I used to do it this way, but now I'm over here...been there, done that, went back and tried it again, and now here I am."

I can do that in a day...