Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A2, 3, or 5 in Bridge

Default A2, 3, or 5 in Bridge

My band recently started recording a demo, and when I listened back to some of the tracks I'm really unsatisfied with my guitar tone. It sounded fine when we were jamming or I was playing alone, but hearing it with the full mix I'm unhappy with it, to the point of rerecording my parts multiple times with different guitars to try to get a better tone.

Most of the album was done with a Les Paul with a Custom Custom in the bridge and an A2P in the neck. This combo didnt sound bad, but was a bit dark and overpowered the rest of the mix at times due to the high mids. I had debated putting an A2P back in the bridge to keep the same general characteristics of the Sh-11 but a bit brighter and lower output, but before I do that I decided to look into some mag swaps. The pickup selector on SDs website says the Custom 5 would work well for me, and I like the samples I've heard, but I'm also curious about trying an A3 since that seems to have the best of 2 and 5. Thoughts?

Junior Member GrilledChickenSalad's Avatar

Default Re: A2, 3, or 5 in Bridge

The type of magnet isn't the issue here.

Probably be just as effective if you EQ you guitar tracks differently. I would imagine that most of our favorite guitar recordings sounded quite a bit different in the room with the amp.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rex_Rocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrilledChickenSalad View Post
    That immediately came to mind too.

I've made some changes to the eq to accommodate the recording software, such as lowering the gain and bass (the software was boosting the low frequencies), but still find the tone too muddy and loose when I play it back with the full mix. On it's own it sounds fine, not 100% to the tone I want but good enough to work with, but with the other tracks it either overpowers the mix or gets lost. That's why I was considering mag swapping, as I like the custom series, but wasnt too fond of the ceramic and while the A2 is a step in the right direction it's still not quite there.

Quote Originally Posted by GrilledChickenSalad View Post
    This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, if the magnet isn't the problem what are your suggestions? I'm currently playing through a Peavey 6505+ with the bass set at 4 (usually 5, but I lowered it to record) the mids set at 6.5-7, and the treble set at 5.5, gain a little past 5.

Are you playing through Vintage 30's? I find the mids above 4 sound mega honky on 5150's through Vintage 30's, ESPECIALLY recorded.

Ultimate Tone Member audiocheck's Avatar

That's why there are professional Sound Engineers and Producers!!

No, the speakers are Sheffields. As for producers and sound engineers, we are producing the album ourselves as we didnt have the money to pay a producer, however we are having a professional mix the tracks. The mixed tracks are what revealed the problems to me, as I could hear how the guitar sounded in a proper mix as opposed to a couple guys jamming in a room.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitardude93 View Post
    No, the speakers are Sheffields. As for producers and sound engineers, we are producing the album ourselves as we didnt have the money to pay a producer, however we are having a professional mix the tracks. The mixed tracks are what revealed the problems to me, as I could hear how the guitar sounded in a proper mix as opposed to a couple guys jamming in a room.
    How are you capturing your guitar tone? mics and mic placement could be an issue. Are you going direct too? If your current pickup choices work for you live, the recorded issue could be elsewhere.

Theres a mic jack on the back of the amp that I'm running into the interface. The pickups seem to work well enough live, but I've never heard what it sounds like to the audience so these issues may have always been there and I just didn't notice.

Oh! So it's one of those speaker emulators? That's definitely the problem. Those don't sound particularly good.

I guess so, it's meant for connecting additional speakers but it's seemed to do okay for recording.

on the back of your amp there are two speaker outs, an effects loop and a preamp out... none of those is going to sound great run into an interface with out some good speaker emulation. a bit dark but also overpowering upper mids sound like an eq issue. as others have said, i dont think its the pup or the magnet that is causing the issue. if you swapped an a3 into that pup, youd have a pup thats a little brighter and lower output

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I guess so, it's meant for connecting additional speakers but it's seemed to do okay for recording.
    That is the source of your problem. Don't start changing your guitar because you aren't recording it properly.

That's what I was thinking as far as the magnet goes. I put in the Custom when I was in a metal band, and changed it to a Custom Custom for my current band, but am now finding it too dark. After seeing a video recently of Slash performing with a Custombucker with A3 I liked that tone, kinda a brighter version of his normal tone. I have an A2P bridge I was thinking of swapping back in, but figured I'd ask about magnets before I did that.

As for the recording, I'll try micing the amp and seeing if that gives a better tone. Would you also suggest lowering the mids/ raising the bass as well? I know A2 is usually pretty mid heavy, especially in a Les Paul.

i wouldnt raise the bass. as far as lowering mids? dont know without hearing it. you should be able to listen to the tone in the mix and adjust it till it does what you want it to

That's what I was thinking as far as the magnet goes. I put in the Custom when I was in a metal band, and changed it to a Custom Custom for my current band, but am now finding it too dark. After seeing a video recently of Slash performing with a Custombucker with A3 I liked that tone, kinda a brighter version of his normal tone. I have an A2P bridge I was thinking of swapping back in, but figured I'd ask about magnets before I did that.

As for the recording, I'll try micing the amp and seeing if that gives a better tone. Would you also suggest lowering the mids/ raising the bass as well? I know A2 is usually pretty mid heavy, especially in a Les Paul.
    Yes, Try Mic'ing the amp. Try placing a mic within 3-6" in front speaker cone and slightly off center. If you go dead center you will get more bass, as you go off center you will pick up more harmonics. if you can double mic it, place a second mic 3' away from front of amp. Do not EQ in the software as you are capturing the audio. Adjust the EQ only after the recording is done, when playing back / mixing.

Also what guitar amp are you using? depending on what output you are using, there could be an impedance mis-match causing you tone issues too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    Are you playing through Vintage 30's? I find the mids above 4 sound mega honky on 5150's through Vintage 30's, ESPECIALLY recorded.

I looked up on Peavey's web site and the only out I see is a Pre Amp out at +10dbv. Please make sure you are using a Line Level in on your capturing unit. most pro recording gear wants to see +4dbv and consumer grade gear wants to see -10dbv. So right there you potentially have a 20dbv mis-match. Your impedance should be okay only if you are using line in and not mic in.

ALSO: this is a pre amp out!! it makes no consideration for what it sounds like coming out of speakers. the tone coming out of this out DOES NOT reflect the tone you want to come out of your recording. a big part of an amps tone is in the power section of the amp as well as the speakers. This out is bypassing both of those.