Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A2, 3, or 5 in Bridge

Ultimate Tone Member audiocheck's Avatar

Default Re: A2, 3, or 5 in Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Guitardude93 View Post
    Ok, if the magnet isn't the problem what are your suggestions? I'm currently playing through a Peavey 6505+ with the bass set at 4 (usually 5, but I lowered it to record) the mids set at 6.5-7, and the treble set at 5.5, gain a little past 5.

I looked up on Peavey's web site and the only out I see is a Pre Amp out at +10dbv. Please make sure you are using a Line Level in on your capturing unit. most pro recording gear wants to see +4dbv and consumer grade gear wants to see -10dbv. So right there you potentially have a 20dbv mis-match. Your impedance should be okay only if you are using line in and not mic in.

ALSO: this is a pre amp out!! it makes no consideration for what it sounds like coming out of speakers. the tone coming out of this out DOES NOT reflect the tone you want to come out of your recording. a big part of an amps tone is in the power section of the amp as well as the speakers. This out is bypassing both of those.

I'm using a Peavey 6505+ 112. No pedals, just guitar plugged directly into the amp. Using a Monster cable, so I don't think that is the issue. Usually recording with the volume set at about 2.5 on the amp, volume on the guitar varying depending on the section of the song but usually not above 8.5-9.

Quote Originally Posted by audiocheck View Post
    I looked up on Peavey's web site and the only out I see is a Pre Amp out at +10dbv. Please make sure you are using a Line Level in on your capturing unit. most pro recording gear wants to see +4dbv and consumer grade gear wants to see -10dbv. So right there you potentially have a 20dbv mis-match. Your impedance should be okay only if you are using line in and not mic in.

ALSO: this is a pre amp out!! it makes no consideration for what it sounds like coming out of speakers. the tone coming out of this out DOES NOT reflect the tone you want to come out of your recording. a big part of an amps tone is in the power section of the amp as well as the speakers. This out is bypassing both of those.
    Yeah, I'm realizing this was a big mistake on my part. As you can probably guess I'm fairly new to recording, especially self producing.

Yeah, when self-producing, you become your own biggest critic! I agree with what you've already been told.....use light eq....experiment with mic placement...
    If you're laying down hi-gain stuff, back off the gain a touch....and don't try the fix-it-in-the-mix approach. It doesn't need to be a producer that you need, yet, but just another set of ears that you trust. Also, try doubling the guitar track with a different axe, with a different, little cleaner sound~
    Good luck~~��

Mojo's Minions Laughing Kookaburra's Avatar

Interesting discussion, best wishes OP!

I can guarantee that no recording engineer or producer has ever gone to the guitar player and ever said, "Hey your tone is off lets swap the mags in your pups. " and dont pump a bunch of Eq into the board trying to fix it. From what has been said you need a different recording method before you mess with your guitar.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter