Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: I Can Haz Hearing Aid?

Default Re: I Can Haz Hearing Aid?

Here (below) is the rendered audio file of the above MIDI file I'm using.

Please note that this is only for review purposes and could be used for practice etc. I've not changed anything (none of my drums or bass or anything like that) i.e. this is just stock standard General MIDI instruments (nothing more annoying or grating than GM instruments but anyway).

It's a 48kHz MP3 file (didn't see any reason to upload a HUGE WAV file just for this purpose).

Now let me know if there's anything you want me to do here that will help. I can make a "video" of the file so that there's a timecode for reference purposes. Can add a metronome to the entire file. Stuff like that.

Oh and let me know if you want it uploaded somewhere else for download (never know what everybody is doing when trying to download direct from SoundCloud).

Quick questions:

Is everybody here going to be using amp. sims. (as opposed to micing. up their amps)???

Only reason I'm asking is to just be aware of bleed if you're going to mic. up your amps. (or use headphones for the backing track).

For video: is everybody able to record video separately from audio (bearing in mind that the video also needs to have an audio track for alignment purposes). Doesn't matter if they're SLIGHTLY out as that I can "fudge". But within reason. But if you need help or input or advice on this or some suggestions feel free to ask.

P.S.

By the way: think nice before we go and say "well let's just do the audio first". From my point of view: the BIG thing here is indeed to have a video of you all i.e. not just another audio collaboration. In other words: would hate to see the video falling by the wayside once the audio track is done.

Most everyone has a mobile phone and mostly that will suffice. Just remember the higher the resolution the better (with video it's alright to downsample if necessary but upsampling can sometimes create artifacts). Multiple camera angles would also be nice. Maybe some lighting??? You know: FEATURE yourself!!! Don't be shy to show off a little!!! LOL!!! If I was near to any of ya I'd do this all for you!!! But alas I'm not!!! Still: makes it the more interesting.

I'm able to combine various different resolutions in one file though so compatibility should not be an issue. But if you want details of preferred video formats then ask. One thing that needs to be decided is whether we're doing this at PAL or NTSC frame rates. That's very important. You need to check what your phone or camera is capable of. Or send me a small sample and I'll tell you what's going on with the frame rate etc. etc. etc.
    Last edited by dpaterson; 02-22-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I think the whole project is already hard, by going for a perfect video is gonna make it even harder. If you notice the original video is almost irrelevvant of the solos played. Anyways, I listened to the midi audio, and cannot find any way this is better for practice than the original.
    Why not add the videos in a free style fashion afterwards, like show happy faces doing silly things etc.

Just thought I might also point out I am a qualified audio engineer with a decent studio (for tracking, editing and even mastering) at my disposal.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

But you already made a video for the solo contest??? That was great. Maybe just get (borrow) another phone so that there are two camera angles i.e. so we can see you.

Just because the original didn’t have individual videos for the solos doesn’t mean we cannot or should not do it. And we can do it. And wth ease too. I just don’t see the point of putting together yet another audio collaboration.

Bear in mind something else: they didn’t need a video for each guitarist in the original because those dudes are famous. We all know who is who on the original.

When I’m out of bed this morning I’ll detail how I’ve made videos. It’s really pretty simple. And then you can all decide.

You don’t have to practice with the MIDI track. Just wanted everybody to get familiar with the MIDI track that we are going to use. Bear in mind we need some vocalists and they too need to be familiar with the MIDI backing track that we are going to use. And while it may seem no different than practicing with the original: trust me when I say that when practicing with the original you are getting visual cues if using the video or audio cues if using the audio file only. Once those MIDI guitar tracks have been removed it becomes that much harder to come in and end at the correct times not to mention staying in time. If you were just doing a single solo yourself not a problem because you have a certain amount of leeway. But now you’re trying to fit in with a bunch of other people so your timing and everything else has got to be that much better.
    Last edited by dpaterson; 02-22-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer$ View Post
    Just thought I might also point out I am a qualified audio engineer with a decent studio (for tracking, editing and even mastering) at my disposal.
    Our vocalist appears!!! LOL!!!

How’re you doing???

Yeh listen up: I got no problem at all if it is decided that somebody better qualified and kitted out than I does the stitching together and the mixing and mastering.

But if the above be the case then all I do ask is that the same audio and video is made available to me so that I can do my own production of this if for no other reason than the experience.

And one other point that I believe needs to be made is this: everyone concerned to be allowed to critique whatever is done so that it can be corrected or finessed if necessary and without the individual concerned taking offense and realizing that it’s for the common good of the project. In other words: if something looks or sounds like sh*t then it is noted and discussed and corrected and such criticism is taken and accepted in the spirit that it is given. There is no point in ending up with a bunch of lousy clips that are simply accepted and praised for fear of upsetting the contributor. It helps nobody concerned: not the individual and certainly not the project as a whole.
    Last edited by dpaterson; 02-22-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

second yngwie solo semi-ready, much harder than I thought, just because it's slower does not mean it is easy. Also I got two passes of the whole clean/rhythm part without major mistakes.

For the rhythm part during the solos, I think we should just make it as simple as possible in order to match with the other channel, and dont mess up with the solo. I know its tempting to do smth more there but lets resist!

Alrighty then. Let's see how you get along with this then.

The below is the rendered audio track from the above MIDI file IN ITS ENTIRETY. It consists of ONLY the keys, bass, and drums from the above MIDI file. And I've substituted the GM sounds with my VST instruments (MODO Bass, BFD3 Vinnie Appice Kit). By no means a final mix or anything like that. But as I said: now you need to try fitting everything into the track without the prompts you're getting from the original audio or video tracks.

P.S.

Just realized that on SoundCloud you have to make the file downloadable i.e. it's not automatic. So the above file, and anything else uploaded from this point, will be downloadable in its original format (no processing done by SoundCloud). I've also edited the file permissions for most of the earlier versions on SoundCloud so that they too are downloadable.
    Last edited by dpaterson; 02-23-2019 at 03:15 AM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

The MIDI's tuning is off by half a note.

Quote Originally Posted by greekdude View Post
    The MIDI's tuning is off by half a note.
    Are you referring to the very last file uploaded??? And when compared to what???

Never mind. I know why. The original audio/video is detuned by a half step. Dio resorted to doing this in pretty much all the live performances after around 1984/1985. So: your choice is either alternate tuning or standard tuning not???

Easy to change the MIDI file. Just dunno how you dudes feel about using alternate tuning on your guitars (something I will not do on principle but then again I'm not contributing musically here).
    Last edited by dpaterson; 02-23-2019 at 09:22 AM.

The original recording on the VHS video from 1985 is definitely tuned to A=440Hz (standard "concert" pitch) - I just verified this by playing
    along with my guitar (tuned to A=440Hz)
    Last edited by LLL; 02-23-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by dpaterson View Post
    Never mind. I know why. The original audio/video is detuned by a half step. Dio resorted to doing this in pretty much all the live performances after around 1984/1985. So: your choice is either alternate tuning or standard tuning not???

Easy to change the MIDI file. Just dunno how you dudes feel about using alternate tuning on your guitars (something I will not do on principle but then again I'm not contributing musically here).
    If you watch the vid Vivial Cambel clearly starts with D minor. So standard tuning. As LLL said it is std A. The transctiption over songster is wrong in many ways.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Anyways, I finished 3 tracks!
    - clean
    - rhythm
    - yngwies parts! I missed 2-3 notes, which I'd love to nail, especially on the second solo, but if you see my envonment... its pretty ... lean..

no 48K sampling. Standard wav 44.1K .

Quote Originally Posted by dpaterson View Post

I think greekdude is saying the intro (clean guitars "who crys for the children? I doooo") is tuned incorrect in the tablature. IIRC I saw similar with the tab I was looking at.

The rest I believe is A-ok. Although IIRC after the solo and during the buildup before the final choruses (when the G chord is played and held a few times with the drums pounding) it seems there may be an extra bar or two added in the tab

Fastest ears in the West

Guitaramped.com

Yeah, I'm sticking to 44.1K for my submissions. Typically everything gets "mixed down" to that sample rate anyways (give or take some dithering).

Fastest ears in the West

Guitaramped.com

Alright. Fair enough. Will check the MIDI file again and compare to the audio original and makes changes where necessary. I have two tabs. One is detuned and one is at concert pitch. After checking though I have only ever used the concert pitch one on this thread. Had to be sure.

44.1kHz is fine. Should be 48kHz for video strictly and technically but for our purpose here no issue.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Here are my tracks so far :
    https://soundcloud.com/greekdude888/...ion-were-stars
    https://soundcloud.com/greekdude888/...ion-were-stars
    https://soundcloud.com/greekdude888/...-were-stars-ok

To make this I had to move the original (meaning the official long version from youtube) a little bit to the right, meaning earn some time to put my fingers on the fretboard for the initial clean arpeggio after hitting "record". All 3 tracks are synchronized with each other.
    Now, I could also do the other yngwie-like (craig goldy?) dude and his solos, and also some other if needed (scheduled for the next weekend).

Guys this took a lot of practice and also a lot of takes, almost all of saturday went into this.
    Last edited by greekdude; 02-23-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Just so we’re clear here :

Are you saying that you are using the official long version from YouTube as the backing track when making these recordings???

Oh and can you make the files downloadable i.e. available for direct download in file permissions on SoundCloud.
    Last edited by dpaterson; 02-23-2019 at 08:09 PM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Archer250's Avatar

I could give Viv Campbell's parts a try. His playing style is right up my alley.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.