Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on Orange amps

Default Re: Opinions on Orange amps

Quote Originally Posted by some_dude View Post
    If I were looking at Orange amps I’d be looking at their tube amps.

there solid state amps are great, i suggest you watch some great youtube videos by dave simpson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qh...5D-nKbqUdeoHuD
    Quote Originally Posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Currently have an Orange CR60 and a Mesa Express 5:25.

I was starting to get bored with my sound and I came across Dave Simpsons searching for suggestions. Have been able to duplicate his sounds with my amp. If you look, he has used the Cr120 live and posted the videos. Now onward

My previous practice amp, an old 65w Kustom Hybrid was annoying me and it got sold. Had my heart on a smaller Vox like an AC15. Told the store owner that I hated Orange [ The Doom stuff like SunOO)))))) ] and didn't want one. He had me sit facing away from the wall of amps and the owner started plugging me into different amps to see what I would pick by sound. Vox!!!! Hell No! After going into about 6 or 7 amps, I found one that I really liked and it was the CR60. It was the CR60 and it came home with me.

After a couple of weeks it started sounding like it had a blanket over it - honeymoon was over. Replaced the speaker with an Eminence Governor and this opened up the amp tremendously. The clean channel has a nice smooth breakup when the channel volume control is turned up.

As already said, the Orange gain channel is usually an acquired taste. I run an old Dan Electro EQ in the loop and this really helps. It takes pedals in the front and the loop. The cabinet is heavy plywood and well built.

And if a nice Bandit is available, you know what to do.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Current Orange amps are much better than vintage ones, which sounded terrible. Those old bands you see on the Beat Club and shows like that hated them, but the show had a deal with Orange at the time, so all bands used them on the show- and they didn't sound very good.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

i love my rocker 32. i picked it up for 800 used. which is not a bad price considering it was in excellent shape. Orange is an acquired taste. Its a little darker, a little fuzzier than you marshall, mesa, bogner, type metal tones.

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Current Orange amps are much better than vintage ones, which sounded terrible. Those old bands you see on the Beat Club and shows like that hated them, but the show had a deal with Orange at the time, so all bands used them on the show- and they didn't sound very good.
    Didn't Peter Green use them some back in the day? I've also seen vids of him using big Fenders though. Page is famous for having an Orange on stage live, along with his Marshalls, back in the day, but as I understand it that was for the Theremin.

I read that the Matamps they were based on didn't distort at all, so the Orange versions were modified to allow some distortion. I guess if the EL34s are pushed far enough one will get some EL34 distortion going but that might have been way too loud for those beat club type shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    Didn't Peter Green use them some back in the day? I've also seen vids of him using big Fenders though. Page is famous for having an Orange on stage live, along with his Marshalls, back in the day, but as I understand it that was for the Theremin.

I read that the Matamps they were based on didn't distort at all, so the Orange versions were modified to allow some distortion. I guess if the EL34s are pushed far enough one will get some EL34 distortion going but that might have been way too loud for those beat club type shows.
    Peter Green did use Orange and Matamp. Paul Kossoff also used Orange.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Some of the sound clips I've heard of the old Orange amps sound pretty good to me but they definitely have their own thing going on and still do.

I'm a huge fan of Peter Green whereas someone may not care for him. I honestly think some guys like Peter Green could make any amp sound good...they're just great players.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Current Orange amps are much better than vintage ones,
    I agree,... I've had Vintage Oranges and always thought they were harsh compared to Marshalls... etc.... But the modern Orange amps are great -I just finished a little tour with one that was fantastic -didn't miss my rig.

Orange are also -bar none -the most supportive and guitar player friendly Amp company in the business right now. They make great amps now -and should be commended on this and their relationships and support for guitar music.

OP -buy one to reward them

-Can't help you with the styling though (Orange UGGGG) buy a black one unless it's never going to leave the house.

I think the Orange crush series is some of the best solid state amps out there for hard rock and blues. I have a cr60 and I love it. The gain and reverb on the amp sounds awesome. I have an old fender twin reverb and I find myself playing the orange more. And as a few people mentioned earlier just check out Dave Simpson.

Just bought a used Jim Root Terror (rockerverb lunchbox) last week, paid 330 for it, because nobody else wanted it. Won't have it in my hands for another month though. Should be interesting.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8