Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not into locking tuners

Default Re: Not into locking tuners

I like the ones on my PRS.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

No strong opinions on lockers. I have a few guitars with them and they work fine.

However the best tuners are still the vintage style split shaft. Light, fastest string changes, sound good and you can remove and reinstall the strings if need be.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by John Suhr View Post
    Practice cures most tone issues

Unseen Vasshu the humanoid typhoon's Avatar

I also use this when changing strings, had plenty of guitars with both......but love the vintage splitshaft tuners the best....never had issues with those, all the other leaves that hated little spiky stump that wants to kill your fingers...
    Name:  20190228_074851.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  87.1 KB
    “Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you.”

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    i dont replace tuners unless there is an issue. that said, i like locking tuners. makes string changes a breeze.
    Same for me.
    3 main guitars : Jeff Beck Strat v1 (baseball neck & Lace Sensors) / 1978 Deluxe Telecaster (Wide Range & diving headstock), 1968 SG Standard with 2018 frets (SH-6 / P-Rail)

Guitars with specific purpose : Slide in E or open G, Baritone, 12 strings, open C / C# Slide, high-strung Nashville...

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    I hate the fact that if you have to loosen and retighten the strings for whatever reason, you will probably have to say b-bye to some strings with locking tuners. They usuall break when doing so.

Otherwise, I dig the self-locking ones better than the thumbwheel Sperzel-likes.
    Perhaps you are using them incorrectly. I have used literally dozens of locking sets and it is all that I use on my custom builds, and I have never had such a problem. I use Planet Waves and Fender two-pin locking tuners. I don't pull the strings tight through the hole before tightening the lock, I leave enough slack in the strings so I can remove/change/modify the pups without having to remove the strings from the tuners. I have (repeat) NEVER had a problem doing it this way.

If you are breaking strings it is probably because there is a bur or sharp edge on the tuner where the string goes into it. An easy fix with a fine rat-tail file or Dremel with a small bullet-shaped stone.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

I happen to love locking tuners. They are so convenient and quick. I especially like the Planet Waves auto trim tuners. They work like magic, are quick to use, trim the string ends automatically and so close to the shaft that you will never poke yourself with those pesky pointy string ends left from using diagonal cutters. My ONLY problem with them is that they are pretty heavy. But they are gorgeous looking, especially the gold and black. I now use the Fender lockers almost exclusively on my custom guitars. They work great, are slightly lighter than the Planet Waves. and line up perfectly because of the pins on the back (of course I use a jig to get the pins holes drilled and aligned perfectly).

I’ve never switched tuners but generally prefer locking in my modern guitars. Would prob be inclined to keep them traditional in a classic strat or tele, though.

I am not a fan of them at all. Much prefer normal ones

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    I happen to love locking tuners. They are so convenient and quick. I especially like the Planet Waves auto trim tuners. They work like magic, are quick to use, trim the string ends automatically and so close to the shaft that you will never poke yourself with those pesky pointy string ends left from using diagonal cutters. My ONLY problem with them is that they are pretty heavy. But they are gorgeous looking, especially the gold and black. I now use the Fender lockers almost exclusively on my custom guitars. They work great, are slightly lighter than the Planet Waves. and line up perfectly because of the pins on the back (of course I use a jig to get the pins holes drilled and aligned perfectly).
    +1 on the PWs. Don't mind the added weight, since the axes with them are still balanced. Got a set of the Sperzel ones, not bad, but I prefer the feel and tuning accuracy of the PWs.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), PRS SE Custom 24 Flametop (TB-5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (JB), LTD ST-213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE-212 (Hot Stack/A2P), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB-6/Jazz), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:Korg Pitchblack Poly, Digitech Drop, MXR CAE MC404 & EHX Wailer wahs, L6 HXFX, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal; Amp & Cab:H&K GM 40 Dlx, L6 DT25 cab;

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rex_Rocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Perhaps you are using them incorrectly. I have used literally dozens of locking sets and it is all that I use on my custom builds, and I have never had such a problem. I use Planet Waves and Fender two-pin locking tuners. I don't pull the strings tight through the hole before tightening the lock, I leave enough slack in the strings so I can remove/change/modify the pups without having to remove the strings from the tuners. I have (repeat) NEVER had a problem doing it this way.
    Well, I do pull the strings tight through the lock because I thought part of the whole locking tuners discourse is no string winds, no friction, more stability.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-28-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Well, I do pull the strings tight through the lock because I thought part of the whole locking tuners discourse is no string winds, no friction, more stability.
    That was my understanding, as well. On my one locking tuner guitar, I pull them pretty tight so there is as little string touching the tuner as possible. Even on my non-locking guitars, I have as little string as possible on the tuners. Everything seems to stay in tune better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    That was my understanding, as well. On my one locking tuner guitar, I pull them pretty tight so there is as little string touching the tuner as possible. Even on my non-locking guitars, I have as little string as possible on the tuners. Everything seems to stay in tune better that way.
    The whole point of locking tuners is to have less than one wrap on the post so as to avoid friction and slipping of the wraps. I can't remember if it was the Sperzels, but one of my sets included instructions to string them that way and I've been doing so on all of my locking tuners since.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

I know that locking tuners are designed so that you don't have to wind the strings...just pull them tight, lock them, and tune to pitch. And they work great that way. But if you do that and need to work on or change a pup it's next to impossible to feed the strings back in and reuse them. And since I never really have tuning stability problems with any guitars with "old" tuners wrapped a half dozen winds, I do that with lockers for the convenience of rewinding the strings after working on the guitar.

Ultimate Tone Member

If a guitar doesn't come with them, it's the first thing I mod. I hate non-locking tuners. Winding strings gives me the Willies.

Took the strings off my new Ibanez 8 string to oil the board and clean up the windings. Seriously rethinking my stance on locking tuners.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I use lockers for guitars for live performance.

-but honestly, as much as string winding around the posts is a functionally problematic practice for intonation stability -it does impart extremely slightly more string energy into the post than a pinch lock .... It's likely never an audible difference, but sustain could be affected by the transmission loop through the nut, tuners, bridge and body being more efficient.

but I actually love the look of windings done properly too.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

tonewood instigator

I've started to become a fan of Wilkinson's "EZ-LOK" design. They aren't an extremely revolutionary design that I'll be throwing out all my Sperzels for, but they are cheap (only $30), fairly smooth, and being able to use the top or low hole as the first one the string enters is a great way to adjust break angle for finicky vibrato bridges.

I wouldn't put them on a higher end guitar, but they are great for cheaper guitars that I want to keep mechanically simple.
    Like the fool I am and I'll always be
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    They can change their minds but they can't change me
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    Oh, I know I could share it if you'd want me to
    If you're goin' my way, I'll go with you

Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    being able to use the top or low hole as the first one the string enters is a great way to adjust break angle for finicky vibrato bridges.
    That's an old Schaller trick from at least the '80s. My first guitar had the double holes.

If you like that, you really need to try Gotoh's H.A.P. feature. H.A.P. = Height Adjustable Posts. Equal string break across 6-in-line nuts, with no string trees. Obviously more expensive than what you are talking about, but very cool nonetheless. It's also pretty much a stealth feature; doesn't look out of place or modern on vintage-style tuners, or require enlarging tuner holes on old guitars.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-17-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Have Grover mini lockers on my Brian May guitar. Amazing stability. The nut and bridge are excellent, so I can throw the vibrato all over the place and it returns to zero and stays in tune just as well or better than any Floyd or Kahler system I had in the 80’s. It’s my only experience with lockers so far. But it’s got me thinking I should upgrade all my gigging instruments
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

Anyone have an idea what the lightest locking ones would be?
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.