Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pedal board power supply

Default pedal board power supply

Which is in your opinion a good power supply for a pedalboard with 5/6 pedals with a reasonable quality/price ratio? Someone else suggested the following one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Caline%C2%A...TX4JA7MNESN27V

Super Toneologist

Default Re: pedal board power supply

For price/quality cheapest one is the truetone cs7. Another would be the trex fuel tank jr.

Check the power requirements of the pedals before picking up a psu.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank- View Post
    For price/quality cheapest one is the truetone cs7. Another would be the trex fuel tank jr.

Check the power requirements of the pedals before picking up a psu.
    my rig is pretty simple. At the moment the chain is composed by a boss TU3, a MXR GT-OD, a boss CE-5, Morley volume little alligator and at the end of the chain a carbon copy I want to replace with a Flashback (or a Flashback 2). I think a psu up to 1900/2000 mA and 7/8 isolated outlets and the ability to handle 9, 12 and 18 volt DC should be fine. I want flexibility and to feel free to add one or two more pedals if needed (a flanger or a distortion)

FYI, the outputs on that Caline aren't fully isolated, they share grounds. If you want one with fully isolated outputs look for one that uses a IEC power cord, not a wall wart. Yes, it will cost more, yes, it will last you much longer and will be noise free.

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    FYI, the outputs on that Caline aren't fully isolated, they share grounds. If you want one with fully isolated outputs look for one that uses a IEC power cord, not a wall wart. Yes, it will cost more, yes, it will last you much longer and will be noise free.
    like the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus ? suppose I take one of these, how do I power the volume pedal that requires 300mA?
    Last edited by EmiAba; 03-04-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Get one that outputs 300ma or use a current doubler cable.

By the way, look up the pedal current draw, not the adapter capability. The Morley draws something like 2ma, not 300ma. 300ma pedals are digital beasts like Strymons and Eventides.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgIQY_D_BwE
    Last edited by PFDarkside; 03-04-2019 at 07:14 AM.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

The Pedal Power Plus has 2 250mA outputs which is enough for pretty much any high current digital pedal, what kind of volume pedal are you using that requires 300mA? That seems like an insane amount for a volume pedal.

Ultimate Tone Member

I can highly recommend the Voodoo Lab. I use it and it is quiet and works very well. The real question is where are you putting it? What I mean is, I started off with the Truetone CS7, but the thing is HUGE and wouldn't fit well under my pedal board. So I got the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus and it's wonderful.

The Pedal Power Plus has 2 250mA outputs which is enough for pretty much any high current digital pedal, what kind of volume pedal are you using that requires 300mA? That seems like an insane amount for a volume pedal.
    That’s the spec on the adapter they ship with it, not the draw of the pedal.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    That’s the spec on the adapter they ship with it, not the draw of the pedal.
    Good point, didn't even think of that, I always look on the pedal itself.

Good point, didn't even think of that, I always look on the pedal itself.
    It doesn't always tell that either. At least EHX seems to just label their pedals based on the adapter it comes with.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

He did say it was a volume pedal, not sure how a volume pedal would use 300mA. Most volume pedals I've used are passive, I'm guessing the OP's is a Morley(?).

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

I bought a power supply from amazon that is almost exactly what you posted, only it was under brand name Donner. It worked. It was meant as a temporary solution and has now been replaced on my main board.
    Most power supplies have an outlet or two rated differently for pedals requiring higher draw. Make sure the supply you get matches your power needs. If there is not an output for the particular pedal, then keep it on battery or its own cord if it doesnt take battery until you can get the correct power supply.
    Im not really sharing anything that hasnt been said, so I'm posting only to say that in a pinch or if you are financially strapped as I am, that supply may work if it has the outputs you need. However, it may be noisy and is not going to be very effective for keeping your pedals safe in the event of power surges, etc
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Ultimate Tone Member

I just built a board with a Pedaltrain 24, and I'm using a Donner. I don't think I'd want to tour Internationally with it, but it does a good job locally and it's pretty inexpensive. I was going to replace it with something more substantial, and I may very well, but for now...it's still making stuff light up.

Name:  IMG_20190309_085737472.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  144.6 KB
    It's according to how much money you want to spend. But for $29.99 it's hard to beat the truetone 1 spot. I bought one a couple of months ago. It powers up to 8 pedals and comes with several adapters also. I know there's nicer power supplies out there, but it will be hard to beat this one for that price.
    Last edited by smitty302; 03-09-2019 at 06:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smitty302 View Post
    Name:  IMG_20190309_085737472.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  144.6 KB
    It's according to how much money you want to spend. But for $29.99 it's hard to beat the truetone 1 spot. I bought one a couple of months ago. It powers up to 8 pedals and comes with several adapters also. I know there's nicer power supplies out there, but it will be hard to beat this one for that price.
    It works, but it isn't isolated which can cause noise and other issues with some pedals.

I have Truetone CS7. It's probably cheapest for that amount of mA and versatility for fully a isolated supply.
    Last edited by Jacew; 03-09-2019 at 06:49 AM.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

He did say it was a volume pedal, not sure how a volume pedal would use 300mA. Most volume pedals I've used are passive, I'm guessing the OP's is a Morley(?).
    The Morley little alligator is active. But the 300 mA is the value of the adapter it needs. Sorry my mistake..

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I can highly recommend the Voodoo Lab. I use it and it is quiet and works very well. The real question is where are you putting it? What I mean is, I started off with the Truetone CS7, but the thing is HUGE and wouldn't fit well under my pedal board. So I got the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus and it's wonderful.
    I have a Palmer pedalbay 40. I want to put the power supply under the pedalboard.

Quote Originally Posted by EmiAba View Post
    The Morley little alligator is active. But the 300 mA is the value of the adapter it needs. Sorry my mistake..
    No, the standard power supply they ship with it can supply 300mA, the pedal actually only draws 2.5mA, so you can run it on pretty much anything. Look at the pedal and/or the manual, not the power supply. They probably buy that power supply in the 1000s for next to nothing so they ship it with everything.

Bottom right corner of the manual - CURRENT DRAW: 2.5 mA @ 9 VDC

https://www.morleyproducts.com/wp-co...ume-manual.pdf

Little Pigbacon

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    It doesn't always tell that either. At least EHX seems to just label their pedals based on the adapter it comes with.
    I’m going to sacrifice a power supply and splice an ammeter in the loop and sus out the real current requirements of all my “mystery” pedals.