Thread: Tube amp question

Default Tube amp question

New to the tube amp world. I know when powering up my amp, power switch first. Wait a few minutes for tubes to warm up then turn on the pre amp switch (the other one).
    My question is, during band practice when we take a break, should I just turn off the pre amp switch and leave the amp powered on? Its usually between a 10 and 15 min break. Thank you everyone

Default Re: Tube amp question

Turn the volume down on the guitar, or step on a tuner pedal to mute the signal, and just leave them both on.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Donít use the standby switch...leave it in the on position always...it is a long somewhat complex and perhaps controversial issue...google it...

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...y-switch-myth/
    Last edited by justFred; 05-10-2019 at 07:57 AM.

Any time with the amp powered up (even on standby) will add something to valve wear. But I think 10-15 mins standby is negligible in the long run. Probably cause less wear to leave on during a short break than to power completely off and on again. Heating up and cooling off does have a greater impact on valve wear than 10-15 on standby. The fewer power up/down cycles, the better.

Toneologist Obsessive Compulsive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SkyMonkey View Post
    Any time with the amp powered up (even on standby) will add something to valve wear. But I think 10-15 mins standby is negligible in the long run. Probably cause less wear to leave on during a short break than to power completely off and on again. Heating up and cooling off does have a greater impact on valve wear than 10-15 on standby. The fewer power up/down cycles, the better.
    Great info, thanks!

When turning it on, should I turn the power switch on first before the standby, and vice versa when turning it off?

Toneologist Obsessive Compulsive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silas2342 View Post
    New to the tube amp world. I know when powering up my amp, power switch first. Wait a few minutes for tubes to warm up then turn on the pre amp switch (the other one).
    My question is, during band practice when we take a break, should I just turn off the pre amp switch and leave the amp powered on? Its usually between a 10 and 15 min break. Thank you everyone
    Damn, I turn them both on at the almost the same time without waiting for the tubes to cook..lol.

In the past when changing/biasing new tubes I have measured the time it takes for the amp to reach operating voltage.
    It only takes about 10 seconds for the voltage to rise to the proper operating level.
    Thereís no need to let the amp warm up for several minutes etc. (of course it wonít hurt anything if you do)

If you turn the amp on, it will be ready to play by the time you grab your guitar, plug in and strap it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    In the past when changing/biasing new tubes I have measured the time it takes for the amp to reach operating voltage.
    It only takes about 10 seconds for the voltage to rise to the proper operating level.
    There’s no need to let the amp warm up for several minutes etc. (of course it won’t hurt anything if you do)

If you turn the amp on, it will be ready to play by the time you grab your guitar, plug in and strap it on.
    It's not about the voltage, it's about warming up the tubes so you don't hit loud signal on tubes that aren't operating in the temperature they're designed to operate in.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Ultimate Tone Slacker Nostalgic Distortion's Avatar

I wait long enough to tune up but that’s about it. Probably about 45-60 seconds on average & personally I think it’s enough? I mean unless the amplifier is unusually cold for some reason but I think the idea is to just not hit it with the full voltage all at once? Plus as mentioned above it is a bit of a controversial topic, many people think it’s best not to have one at all....
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Slightly off topic - I try to avoid moving my amp unless the tubes are completely cool. Light bulbs don't like being moved when they're hot and my guess is that tubes feel the same way about it.
    I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .