Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's get DIRTY!!!!

I poop my pants and wear KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Default Let's get DIRTY!!!!

Show me the dirt! I want to see all of your filth boxes. You know that above all you love a good Boost/OD/Distortion/Fuzz pedal. You probably even love some bad ones. I know you all probably have enough to open your own guitar shop. So take us all on a tour of your angry bee factories!!!! And tell us a little about them if anything of interest or note...bold your favorites.

Name:  IMG_3125.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  151.7 KB

Top Row:
    MXR Micro Amp - From the late 70's. I LOVE the sound. I hate that there is no LED.
    Nose Mean Green Clean - This is pure boo-teek on the inside. Cool paint and dual green LEDS!
    Mooer Pure Boost - Works great. Love bass/treble option. Wish big knob was Level instead of Gain.
    Ibanez TS9 - from the 90's.
    Stamps Drive-O-Matic - Two TS9 styles, more gain, a presence knob and tight/loose switch. My go to TS9
    Original Catalinbread Supercharged Overdrive - This is OD into Distortion territory. Can be finicky with mega output pickups.

Middle Row:
    Boss DS-1
    Ibanez DS9Mod - A recent reissue. This thing is great. Gain and mid switches. Great sound, really flexible.
    Boss Superdistortion & Feedbacker - A decent distortion compared to DS-1, and the feedback is a ton of fun! More of a special effect.
    Mooer Solo - This is a great little dirt pedal. Modelled on the Riot. I like it better than the US Dream overall.
    Joyo US Dream - This is a fantastic all around dirt box for the price. Also modeled on the Riot.
    Suhr Riot - Just an awesome pedal. I'd put this as my "one to have" if only one list for overdrive/distortion.
    Moor Black Secret - A pretty decent Rat clone. Not the best for distortion into clean, but vintage setting into overdriven amp it does what a Rat does. Turbo mode is wicked awesome.
    Proco Solo - This is my Rat of choice. It can do anything a Rat can and more. Assymetrical clipping, hot/melt/burn modes, distortion, scoop, tone and level controls.

Bottom Row:
    Boss HM-2 - Because it has 'that' sound. More flexible than people think. You know the treble knob issue. Must have for Swedish Deth.
    DOD American Metal - DOD's take on the HM-2's take on the Swedish Death classic! Better tone knob, but I like the HM-2.
    Washburn Stack-In-A-Box - My first dirt pedal from ~85. Dual MOSFET harsh nasty clipping. Underated chainsaw pedal IMO.
    Boss Digital Metalizer - A really nice distortion plus delays or chorus! it's 1987 in a box. Really cool pedal.
    Metal Muff w/ Top Boost - Because sometime a little ain't enough. This thing is just total over the top heinous. It could suss Pantera out of a ukulele.
    Last edited by Aceman; 03-10-2019 at 06:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Ultimate Tone Slacker ICTGoober's Avatar

Default Re: Let's get DIRTY!!!!

Plug 'em all into a chain, and let rip. Bet it would sound like a synth.

I never lined them up to take a pic as they are in different places. I don't have many, though.

TS7
    Bad Monkey
    BYOC Overdrive II
    BYOC Silver Pony
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

And the same train gonna carry me back again.

Attachment 96593

1st row: Wampler Tumnus Deluxe — sweet without being syrupy, a tall order for a dirt pedal, EHX Soul Food, Danelectro Fab Tone, a pedal that’s said to affect the kittehs, EHX Satisfaction, EHX Triangle BMP RI, EHX Green Russian BMP RI, EHX Germanium 4 BMP

2nd row: Tech21 NYC XXL, Tech21 NYC U.S. Steel — can be noisy at higher gain settings, but back off a little and it brings the metalz, DOD Thrash Master, Ibanez FZ5 60’s Fuzz, Dunlop JH-F1 Jimi Hendrix Fuzzface, EHX NYC BMP — so far this is my favorite Muff, a blend of singing sustain and that weird nonlinear thing they do

3rd row: Carl Martin Plexitone — great Marshall in a box, Boss BD-2 Blues Driver — I can’t remember what this one sounds like, just that I really loved it, Boss FBM-1 ‘59 Bassman

4th row: ProCo Rat 2, DOD Hard Rock Distortion, TC Electronic Fangs, Mesa/Boogie Throttle Box — top-shelf classic metal, Mesa/Boogie V-Twin V1 — best pedal I’ve ever owned , Fulltone OCD 1.7 — turns a small tube combo into a swaggering giant

5th row: DOD Gunslinger, DOD Preamp 250 RI, DOD YJM308 — add a slightly dirty Marshall and some noise-cancelling single-coils, and it will do its part, DOD Boneshaker — add an 81 and tune down a half step, instant Slayer, Maxon SD-9 Sonic Distortion, Maxon OD-9 Overdrive — my favorite of the super obvious green overdrives, Ibanez JD9 Jet Driver, Ibanez MS10 Metal Charger
    Last edited by Little Pigbacon; 03-12-2019 at 11:18 PM.
    Pigs in space. Pigs in space. Preparing to launch all pigs into space.

- Boss BD-2
    - Germanium Fuzz Face that I built
    - Frantone The Sweet

The BD-2 has been part of my setup since I started playing guitar. It works for boosting, light overdrive, and well into distorted sounds. I like the Fuzz Face, but find it's too finnicky with other pedals . . . so ended up replacing it with The Sweet . . . effectively a germanium Big Muff with extra gain on tap.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

This thread makes me realize I need more dirt pedals.

-Ibanez TS808
    -MXR Classic 108 Fuzz
    -Boss SD-1

I've pretty much always got my gain from the amp. Starting to explore pedal dirt now though!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar216 View Post
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

That 108 is a really good fuzz.

Unseen Vasshu the humanoid typhoon's Avatar

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  12.0 KB
    “Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you.”

I like the idea of a lot of dirt pedals, but I always dial mine in to sound the same, so it doesn't make sense to keep buying. I rarely use anything more than TS-level of gain, and don't like the tone to be that compressed. I love what others do with a fuzz, but I can't make them sound like that.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I like the idea of a lot of dirt pedals, but I always dial mine in to sound the same, so it doesn't make sense to keep buying. I rarely use anything more than TS-level of gain, and don't like the tone to be that compressed. I love what others do with a fuzz, but I can't make them sound like that.
    I love the differences in gear, and I get a kick out of setting them up and playing them in ways that tend to exploit those differences.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    the And the same train gonna carry me back again.

Attachment 96593
    You are one dirty... dirty whore!

Wow!

I got rid of all of my dist/ods a while back... relying on amp gain for that (typically a dimed '68 Plexi, ADA MP-1, Rockman, or BIAS VST).

That being said, I did pick up an MXR Custom Badass '78 because I wanted a BOSS DS-1 circuit for old times' tone sake (80's). It adds
    that hairy crunch to the plexi and was a common rig setup with the pros in the 80's.

I also will want a vintage-style MXR Distortion+ circuit at some point (70's 80's tone again). Same deal - common old school rig setup.

Besides that, I have a buffer/clean boost: CAE Boost/Line Driver.
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Stop talkin' and start chalkin'

Guitaramped.com

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    You are one dirty... dirty whore!

Wow!
    Buying a pedal or two is my way of blowing off steam. They used to call it retail therapy.

Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Same here! I literally put two pedals side by side and fiddle back and forth trying to get them to sound exactly the same. Then I sell one of them...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FUZZ ONLY COLLECTION ure.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	96652
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    Same here! I literally put two pedals side by side and fiddle back and forth trying to get them to sound exactly the same. Then I sell one of them...
    Which one do you sell? The one that sounds less like the other one?

Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    Which one do you sell? The one that sounds less like the other one?
    No, the one that doesn't quite sound like the other one. Duh.

Name:	20190314_101301.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	96673

Also:

Name:	20190314_101444.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	96674

"Manual trem" setting makes a killer mid/treble heavy boost, with gain controllable by exp jack.

That's all "pedal dirt" I've got
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

No pics avail... In use, I have an OCD and Green Rhino. In storage I have a Jemini, line 6 Uber Metal; marshall Jackhammer, DS1 Spina Modded, DS1, FTL Drive, FTL raptor, Toadworks Mr Ed, Toadworks John Bull, and a possibly a couple of others I cant think of right now.
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

I will maybe take a pic after my Triangle Re-issue arrives. Now it is in the mail from Germany.
    3 main guitars : Jeff Beck Strat v1 (baseball neck & Lace Sensors) / 1978 Deluxe Telecaster (Wide Range & diving headstock), 1968 SG Standard with 2018 frets (SH-6 / P-Rail)

Guitars with specific purpose : Slide in E or open G, Baritone, 12 strings, open C / C# Slide, high-strung Nashville...