Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot-Rodded Marshall In A Pedal

Default Re: Hot-Rodded Marshall In A Pedal

Gtrjunior, oversized homemade 212 cab with WGS Retro 30 and ET-65 typically running 16ohm. Been using it for years with a couple different heads and the Jet City was the first one to get flabby on me.

Quote Originally Posted by MrClark6 View Post
    Gtrjunior, oversized homemade 212 cab with WGS Retro 30 and ET-65 typically running 16ohm. Been using it for years with a couple different heads and the Jet City was the first one to get flabby on me.
    Do you have any tube screamer-ish OD pedals?
    Lots of guys use them to tighten up a loose amp. I’m wondering if something like this would help you.
    Turn the gain all the way off, tone in the middle (noon/you can experiment to get what you need too) and crank up the level....see what happens.
    People used to do this with the JCM 800 with great results.
    Typically a farty amp dialed in with less bass/resonance can still play nice. You just have to coax it a bit!

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Quote Originally Posted by MrClark6 View Post
    Aceman, I did have a Power Stack briefly to save room on my pedal board back when I was using the English Muff'n. It was nowhere near as rich and full sounding, so I quickly sold it and went back to the Muff'n.
    Yeah....I was debating putting that in. Wasn't sure how "hot" you wanted your rod.

I like that pedal a lot though as Boss Distortion goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Mojo's Minions

Another vote for the CM Plexi-Tone. The Radial Tonebone Hot British is another one I like.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Gtrjunior, I was running an MXR classic OD in front for a bit with the "boost" settings, it didn't make enough of a difference to warrant the space on my pedal board.

A thought has occurred, what if my bias is off? I did recently replace the factory tubes with some Sovteks.

It occurs to me if the bias is too cold it messes with the low-end and my clean is a little thin as well. Does that cause fartiness in higher gain situations? Funny, this started as a query on pedals, and of course it evolves into amp chat, it always turns into amps with me....
    Last edited by MrClark6; 03-28-2019 at 12:29 PM.

It wouldn’t hurt to check.
    Is the flubbiness something new that is happening or has it been happening all along?
    Some amps just have flubby low end...

I'll check my bias this weekend. The gain channel was flabby when I first got it but the "clean" was fuller before the tube swap...

Still want to get a hot-modded-Marshall-in-a-box for other purposes though. And on that note, thank you all for your suggestions, it gives me more things to try out next time I get to a store with a decent selection.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

The very first thing that comes to my mind is AMT LA II preamp series, you can find Soldano, Bogner etc characters among them:

https://amtelectronics.com/new/cat/g...egend-amps-ii/

Series II is the one to use if you wish to use it in front of an amp.

I've been using M1 (JCM800-ish) and P1 (5150-ish) for years live almost exclusively and they do capture the character and work perfectly in a band environment.

Ultimate Tone Member rainsong86's Avatar

I recommend the Amptweaker Tight Metal. It has the most gain I've heard in a pedal without fizziness, and can sound great in lower gain settings too (especially at 18 volts). They also have a Fat Metal which might be more suited to a hotrodded Marshall tone. If it isn't close enough it has an effects loop; I keep a 7-band EQ in mine.

They also have some 'less metal, more rock' pedals like the tight rock, fat rock, and tight drive.