Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tweed appreciation thread

Toneologist YeRedHouseOverYonder's Avatar

Default Re: Tweed appreciation thread

More Gibson Tweed pRon

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

That LP jr. looks like it has some interesting stories to tell!

Quote Originally Posted by IM4Tone View Post
    That LP jr. looks like it has some interesting stories to tell!
    It was heavily gigged and used in sessions out East in Boston. She's about to get a new bridge and studs \m/

Ultimate Tone Slacker Nostalgic Distortion's Avatar

You’re Gibson Tweed sure is sexy my friend!!!

Everything about that photo is making me jealous, just gorgeous!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Honestly, they're just as good if not better then their Tweed versions. You'll save a chunk of change too. I often just have the filter caps changed or if coupling caps go bad, I use Sozo blues.

Edit: Case in point; the changes my GA 20T Ranger.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 04-27-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NoOnesFang13's Avatar

My grandfathers 62-63 Alamo embassy. 1x10 Alamo spreaker. Built in trem. Pine box. Vintage RCA tubes.

When I got it the tolex was brown from cigar smoke. I cleaned off all the residue to reveal the green. Just got it back today from a tech who replaced the Vol pot (never worked right but recently was full vol all the time) and a replaced cap for the OT. Plugged it in when I got home and sounds awesome at any level and the cranked sound is awesome.

Recorded some pretty basic clips
    Swamp Ash H X P90 Jazzmaster with Maple Neck
    EHX Soul Food (Klone) vol10 drive 6
    Boss Blues Driver level 5 gain 2
    TC Electronic Hall of Fame Mini
    2 sm57 one strait on at edge of dust cap and the other at a 45 degree

0:00 1/2 vol, w/trem on max and speed 1/2, neck pickup
    0:23 1/2 vol, no trem, neck pickup
    0:56 1/2 vol, neck pickup
    1:07 1/2 vol, soul food, neck pickup
    1:16 1/2 vol, soul food, blues driver, neck pickup
    1:33 1/2 vol. bridge pickup
    1:44 1/2 vol, soul food, bridge pickup
    1:56 1/2 vol, soul food, blues driver, bridge pickup
    2:08 cranked, neck pickup
    2:20 cranked, soul food, neck pickup
    2:33 cranked, soul food, blues driver, neck pickup
    2:45 cranked, bridge pickup
    2:57 cranked, soul food, bridge pickup
    3:08 cranked, soul food, blues driver, bridge pickup
    3:20 cranked, neck pickup
    3:28 cranked, soul food, neck pickup
    3:33 cranked, soul food, blues driver, neck pickup
    3:40 cranked, bridge pickup
    3:48 cranked, soul food, bridge pickup
    3:54 cranked, soul food, blues driver, bridge pickup
    Attachment 97980
    Last edited by NoOnesFang13; 05-01-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

very cool little amp. hows the trem? big tone difference between the inputs?

Ultimate Tone Slacker NoOnesFang13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    very cool little amp. hows the trem? big tone difference between the inputs?
    I would describe the trem as being subtle, even with the intensity maxed its not nearly as aggressive in volume fluctuation as I've heard on other amps. I'm not sure what kind of trem circuit it is, but I like to have it on to add a bit of movement when "clean". As far as if the inputs are any different, I will need to check, I've used the middle input for so long I cant remember. I will try it tonight and report back. I will also try and get some clips.

Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

I love Alamo amplifiers!!!

They were built in TX just like me!!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

I sold my les paul and was looking for another Gibson Tweed amp when I came across this: the "holy grail" of Tweed amps, a 1959 Fender Tweed Bassman Chassis. She is almost bone stock minus 2-4 caps/resistors and a selenium rectifier. Unfortunately, the pine cab sold, but I literally stole this amp for what I paid. I spent a bit over what a brand new Fender American Elite Strat runs for (with tax).

I've been exchanging email with this bassman owner who has the "Bassman tone". Doesn't hurt he has a '64 strat too ha. Not too worried, I hunted down some old growth alder/seasoned maple. I have NOS wire strat pickups too.

https://youtu.be/StZmim3S_Jc

I hope to get her up to specs in the upcoming months. Tubes and speakers in route. Just need a wiring harness for the speakers and a pine cab. Filter/electrolytic caps will be switched out soon. I have incoming Astron to replace the other caps. Selenium rectifier will stay out and a 1N4007 diode will take it's place.

Edit: The amp dates to '58 I believe.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 05-12-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Good call swapping out the selenium rectifier for the 1N4007.

The diode is just so much more efficient....

Nice score though dude!!!

Keep us updated with your progress & when you’re finished I’ll send you my address, LOL!!!☺️

Yeah, I heard the selenium rectifier can get toxic if it fries, not to mention potential damage to the irons. To me, in vintage amps, the irons are the most important thing aside from speakers. Caps can come and go. I like F&T for filter caps, small sprague atoms in the circuit, and if need be, the Sozo blues sound good too.

I'm kinda okay I didn't get a vintage cab and kinda bummed haha. I've been reading that fender put an asbestos lining on the rear cover to protect the pine from heating. I don't want to deal with that toxic stuff. I'm going to get a thread going once more parts come through.

"I've been reading that fender put an asbestos lining on the rear cover to protect the pine from heating. I don't want to deal with that toxic stuff."Don't be alarmed about asbestos....fears are grossly exaggerated if it is not friable. All one would need to do is spray it with some coating that would contain it such as a clear lacquer. It is not toxic.

I've read about that. It's not that expensive too. Living in a small bachelors apt. however, if someone smoke next door or out my window, it reeks as if I was smoking. Don't want any of that stuff in here is all.

I guess I understand the urge to return it to stock for collector’s value, mojo, Etc. but if it was mine I’d probably just get a well built new construction 4X10 in naked tweed & then finish it myself? Then take the money I saved & put it into speakers....

I'm going raw pine for a bit and then maybe applying some light tru oil. Eminence 1028Ps in route. It came with a relabeled GE Mullard GZ34. Lucked out.

Although he’s right about the asbestos. It’s only really dangerous if it’s airborne or waterborne so as long as you don’t disturb it or chew on it you’d probably be fine, probably??? LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
    I'm going raw pine for a bit and then maybe applying some light tru oil. Eminence 1028Ps in route. It came with a relabeled GE Mullard GZ34. Lucked out.

That would look great & be much more cost effective! I like to use Shellac over tweed because I dig the darker root beer color & vintage look. Tru Oil will look great though & nice score with the tube!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	98339

So hereís my newest one! I guess technically itís a Brownface/Blonde covered amp but the circuit is certainly a lot more ďTweedĒ in design & sound than the Classic 20 kicking this thread off? Nothing against the Classic 20MH, they are fantastic & easily one of the most versatile little 20w amplifiers Iíve ever owned!

So itís essentially a 6G13-A Vibrasonic in a head version but the Normal CH has been voiced like a later Blackface Bassman, which the builder absolutely nailed!!! Like the Vintage Gibson that my friend has posted above this amplifier utilizes some 1N4007 diodes for rectification instead of selenium or a tube. It runs off of either a pair of 6L6ís or 5881ís in the power section & count em, SIX 12AX7 preamplifier valves!!! Mercy Magnetics transformers, mojotone pots, & plenty of other very nice stuff inside!!!

The reason it has such a ridiculous amount of 12AX7ís in the back has absolutely nothing to do with gain. In fact for a vintage Fender itís got a surprisingly large amount of punchy clean headroom however she breaks up just fine if you hit her hard with humbuckers!!!

Three of these 12AX7 tubes are just for the Vibrato! This is whatís called Harmonic Tremolo, & although itís a really neat sounding tremolo thatís reminiscent of a old Univibe, it was a pretty stupid design. From what I understand it was a very inefficient design only using one triode from each of the 3 valves it took to make it work & this is probably why Leo abandoned it after only a couple of years? Still, itís a neat effect thatís pretty uncommon so Iím happy to have it!

The Normal CH is just bloody magical on this thing!!! Itís a bit louder than the Vibrato CH overall, probably a little more scooped, & it works great as a pedal platform but itíll also get pretty gritty when you dig in & push it. Also the channels are in phase so they can be jumped together to add their characteristics to each other including using the tremolo with CH1 however I prefer both CHís by themselves....

Iíll get some more in depth photos up ASAP....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7B5B4C05-CCEC-4B40-A472-5FD97F8BB7B9.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	98341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CE0DC1F5-0CFB-4EA0-8383-DF303214D439.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	98342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EF9C4DDA-104B-47C8-931A-96C8D4540FE9.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	98343Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2F3E0EC9-7E46-4D9A-830E-E40CB8DE0733.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	98344

There we are....

Like I said, LOTS OF GOOD STUFF!!!!