Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tweed appreciation thread

Toneologist YeRedHouseOverYonder's Avatar

Default Re: Tweed appreciation thread

I'm going to start a thread when I get this project sorted out, but I made major progress. Highly unsightly, but I got it done.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Ultimate Tone Slacker Nostalgic Distortion's Avatar

You haven’t gotten that thing ready to be shipped out to my place yet???

So hard to find go help these days!!!

LOL, this thing is going to be killer when it’s finished!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Mojo's Minions Laughing Kookaburra's Avatar

YeRed, if that last pic w/the LP Jr isn't a classic gear pic, I don't know what is!

that is sweet! im sure youll love it once its done

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	87E04B45-41B8-46C9-9793-2685C2995CBC.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	99255

Because I don’t know what I’d do if this thread ever ended I present my most recent piece of Tweedy goodness! This was a Weber kit 5F2A Princeton that I bought off someone who thought they wanted to build a amp but never got around to it.

Attachment 99256

Got everything for $175 shipped & I got the amplifier built in a single evening! It sounds absolutely gorgeous & the Weber re-coned 10in ALNICO Jensen is just the perfect speaker for it!!! Now I can get really great tube/speaker breakup at very reasonable volumes, at least when compared with my 5F6A Bassman....
    Last edited by Nostalgic Distortion; 06-20-2019 at 06:52 AM.
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Name:  02706456-EB28-42BB-86D9-3455AFE572AB.jpeg
Views: 24
Size:  55.0 KB

& for my next trick....

I just bought a assembled Vibrolux chassis from Sound Of The Shoals & its my plan to build it into some kind head. This is probably only going to be temporary until I figure out exactly what I want to do as far as a cabinet though? I figure for the time being, in head form I can run it through any 8 ohm cabinet including my ALNICO Creamback loaded 1X12!!!

As far as the cabinetry goes, originally I was going try to stick it into a Deluxe style 1X12 combo shell to hopefully move around a little more air however since my wonderful experience with the ALNICO Jensen 10in driver in my Princeton, more & more I want to go with a traditional narrow panel 1X10 Tweed combo shell..

Actually Id love to hear some opinions about the future cabinetry! Im not super well versed in the vintage cabinetry category so whatever insight you can offer will be much appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
    Actually Id love to hear some opinions about the future cabinetry! Im not super well versed in the vintage cabinetry category so whatever insight you can offer will be much appreciated!!!
    My '59 Gibson GA 18T is pretty much a Tweed Vibrolux. I would say that the bigger 1x12 box lends to the amp sounding bigger and not so boxy. I have a Jensen in mine and it just loves single coils. I would assume that putting in a 1x10 box, would make it a bit more focused? Hopefully, some one will roll around soon with more experienced.

On another note, I will be starting a similar tweed head project soon. The bassman will be coming home from my tech this weekend as well.

Edit: I just noticed the Blue Sozos on the kit. I really like them. I tend to use them if I remove leaky yellow Astrons.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 06-20-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Maybe traditional 1X10 tweed cab with Weber Alnico speaker...would sound sweet and be compact enough to use as a head for a 1X12...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1987.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	99261

Li'l Dawg Tweed Deluxe and Japanese 54 Reissue Strat

After the bassman gets done, this will be my next project.

1959 (Dec) Fender 5F1 Cabinet: Someone sadly decided to hack up this cabinet and have their champ solely be a head. Comes with the tube chart. "IL" = Dec of '59.

What I'm going to do is put this '57 Gibson GA 5 (which changes 4 resistor and 3 filter cap values from the 5F1) into a 5F1 chassis. More than likely will keep the PTP wiring just because the dimensions of the cab is tight. A mid-late '50s GA-5 sounds like a champ, but it's a bit sweeter and compresses more due to the small OT. Most GA- 5 users rate them as good if not better than Fender counterparts. Will go with bumblebees or Astrons for coupling caps. F&T filters. Sprague 25uf 25v caps sleeved in the old astrons.