Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Dual OD/Distortion Pedal?

Default Re: Favorite Dual OD/Distortion Pedal?

Also very fond of the Blackstone Mosfet OD. Doesn't mess with the inherent tone of your amp & guitars, just gives two extra channels of gain (either/or, not stackable). Extremely amplike response to touch/pick dynamics & guitar volume knobs. And it's small & inconspicuous, with recessed controls that resist accidents. Great option for those who like the sound of their amp already and don't want to remake it, just get a few more gain stages that feel and behave tubelike. Needs to be first in line before any buffers so it can interact directly with your pickups.

recently got one of these while looking for a camel toe. its a great pedal for sure. how do you typically run it? did you mess with the internal trim pots?

If you can find one, look for an old Seymour Duncan Twin Tube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seymour-duncan_sfx-03_001.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	97135
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

love the tones i get from mine but wish it had separate eq for each channel

Here's a pair.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    recently got one of these while looking for a camel toe.
    Too easy, I am just going to leave this post alone.

recently got one of these while looking for a camel toe. its a great pedal for sure. how do you typically run it? did you mess with the internal trim pots?
    At the factory default settings it doesn't produce a whole lot of gain compared to most pedals. I've been running the Drives pretty hot, around three o'clock on the Brown and seven o'clock on the Red (which for the humbucker mode is full up). Mids usually feel right for me at about eleven o'clock - I know full clockwise is supposed to be flat, but the gain structure adds a fair amount of mids at high drive settings.

I haven't tried adjusting the internal trimpots or substituting caps. I've thought about upping the treble gain a bit but haven't felt it necessary so far. I agree that it'd be nice to be able to differentiate the channels more from one another. Still, I get that the box isn't intended to change the character of your tone a lot. It's only meant to be like adding an extra stage of gain to whatever amp you're using.

I know upping the internal master drive could alleviate some midranginess by letting me get more gain at lower drive settings. Still, I do like Church Of Tone style gain where you get extra upper mids when you kick it on - I'd thought that upping the treble gain trimpot inside the Blackstone might sort of approximate that. But I haven't played around with that yet.

At some point I'll dive in and experiment a bit; I think the little box might be more tweakable than it would appear at first.
    "Brains have been washed. Wheels have been greased. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory."

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    Here's a pair.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
    I’ve got that GFS Twin Overdrive as well. Pretty versatile... too bad they’re not offering it any more!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
    At the factory default settings it doesn't produce a whole lot of gain compared to most pedals. I've been running the Drives pretty hot, around three o'clock on the Brown and seven o'clock on the Red (which for the humbucker mode is full up). Mids usually feel right for me at about eleven o'clock - I know full clockwise is supposed to be flat, but the gain structure adds a fair amount of mids at high drive settings.

I haven't tried adjusting the internal trimpots or substituting caps. I've thought about upping the treble gain a bit but haven't felt it necessary so far. I agree that it'd be nice to be able to differentiate the channels more from one another. Still, I get that the box isn't intended to change the character of your tone a lot. It's only meant to be like adding an extra stage of gain to whatever amp you're using.

I know upping the internal master drive could alleviate some midranginess by letting me get more gain at lower drive settings. Still, I do like Church Of Tone style gain where you get extra upper mids when you kick it on - I'd thought that upping the treble gain trimpot inside the Blackstone might sort of approximate that. But I haven't played around with that yet.

At some point I'll dive in and experiment a bit; I think the little box might be more tweakable than it would appear at first.
    gotcha. i run the mids full up. red channel gain at about 10' o'clock, brown gain full up. i roll back the volume on the guitar a fair amount and i love how it cleans up. i dialed the treble gain up a touch to match the brightness of my fender amps and low output pups. its a great little box, still gonna grab a camel toe too

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Don't know if you want TS-9 overdrive - but here is one of my fave's:

Stamps Drive-O-Matic. TS9 and more TS9 with presence and tight/loose. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Mojo's Minions

This one is good. Used it on my last record.

Everything from Overdrive to Distortion to heavy Fuzz attack and also has a dying 9 Volt potentiometer (Little Blue LED dial) for that Flaming Lips/Faust/Ween sound

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

The one I wanted to get when I still used pedals was the Visual Sound Double Trouble. Essentially two 808 circuits. Set one to drive the other or set the second one as a volume boost. Very cool pedal. The Jekyll and Hyde is still a good one.

Ultimate Tone Member

Just a question, does the higher gain side go on the left or right side traditionally?

Because the other 2 were posted, I will post this one too. It seems to be a little harder to find.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seymour-duncan-sfx-11-twin-tube-blue-106848.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	97198
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

i have one of those too and while its cool and i think the eq is easier to share with this one, i prefer the ttc over the ttb. im sure others would prefer this one though

Toneologist Obsessive Compulsive's Avatar

Boss Drive Zone (discontinued):

https://www.boss.info/us/products/od-20/

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    The HT-Dual also needs its own specific supply. Iirc, it’s 16V. The metal version must be pulling more juice if it needs 22v.
    I think it depends when it was made and that Blackstar switched all their tube pedals to 22V at some point. My HT Dual is older and has the 16v AC adapter. My HT Dist is newer and has a 22v adapter—it also has a soft foot switch, though i bought it used used so that may not be stock. The HT Metal was a later pedal, so those may all be 22V.

Here are two pedals that don't come up very often.
    Both from Turetone, the XO VSO overdrive and the Jekyll and Hyde distortion.

Bought a Jekyll and Hyde and realized that I was using it more as a boost and OD so I traded it in for the XO VSO.

The XO-VSO's left side is a transparent OD which also makes a good boost.
    Its right side has more compression and gain. Also, both channels allow you to cut the bass.
    Both sides stack nicely.
    Also, the pedal has external in / out jacks for each channel and they can be used separately.

Really like the pedal, yet I'm more comfortable with my older FD2 regularly use it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Ultimate Tone Member rainsong86's Avatar

I like it how the truetone has in/out for both sides

Ultimate Tone Member rainsong86's Avatar

i have one of those too and while its cool and i think the eq is easier to share with this one, i prefer the ttc over the ttb. im sure others would prefer this one though
    16 volts though? Could I run it at 18v or 12v?

Also maybe I'm being deceived by the name, but do these twin tube pedals have pre-amp tubes in them or is it just a play on the tubescreamer name

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

I think the only dual pedal I have is the Ibanez Jemini
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig