Thread: Resistor Image from inside my Marshall TSL100. Oscillating buzz. Is this the problem?

Default Resistor Image from inside my Marshall TSL100. Oscillating buzz. Is this the problem?

Hello. I traded a guitar for a Marshall 2003 TSL head. I did hear the little oscillating buzz..like rattling paper hiding behind the sound on the dirty channels...especially when the tone shift button is pressed (very audible when mid scooped) but figured a tube change would fix the problem.

We'll, it didn't, so I opened it up after reading a lot more about this on older forums, and looked around. Sure enough, I found this and took a photo of it. I know there's a lot of very knowledgeable people here and wondered if anyone had encountered this before and if that was causing the problem.

Cables, speakers, connections, reverb tank were checked and we're not the cause of the problem.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by checo; 04-01-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    Good deals with Fusion1, Mig50, Meggo, hamerfan, Booldrose, JOLLY, Ignoramus, BELLEZA, BPSUL, bluesbend, DracoAran, brunigio, Ed Hunter, Andrew Lemprecht, Shauggy, atreidesheir, Killsocket, rawkabilly, DesertRat, slaveunit, Clapton is God, metlking, Heartfeltmusic2010, ErikH, SAVAGE DISTORTION, Punkkitty, Dankstar, lexx9, Mr 9finger, loversmoon, BachToRock, Kingdon Guitarworks, Chrismo, SrDeMaFp, IndySG, ex-250, guitarglynn, Mononoaware, chickencoop, daan, t1r12003, Demina, Trevorus and more.

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

Default Re: Resistor Image from inside my Marshall TSL100. Oscillating buzz. Is this the prob

It looks like the resistor has been replaced. Was it the correct value? It doesn't appear to be the correct type as its an odd ball compared to the others. The blue ones are metal film and they give less noise. Carbon tracks on either side of the board are conductive. That could be a problem. Have a good tech check this out and clean up the replacement job.

Default Re: Resistor Image from inside my Marshall TSL100. Oscillating buzz. Is this the prob

Quote Originally Posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
    It looks like the resistor has been replaced. Was it the correct value? It doesn't appear to be the correct type as its an odd ball compared to the others. The blue ones are metal film and they give less noise. Carbon tracks on either side of the board are conductive. That could be a problem. Have a good tech check this out and clean up the replacement job.
    +1

I was thinking that doesn't look fried, it looks like it was replaced by someone who can barely solder.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Thanks guys, I hadn't thought of that. Definitely be taking it to a tech. I'll be checking for schematics to see what value should be there. (Hope I can read em'). Thank you.
    Good deals with Fusion1, Mig50, Meggo, hamerfan, Booldrose, JOLLY, Ignoramus, BELLEZA, BPSUL, bluesbend, DracoAran, brunigio, Ed Hunter, Andrew Lemprecht, Shauggy, atreidesheir, Killsocket, rawkabilly, DesertRat, slaveunit, Clapton is God, metlking, Heartfeltmusic2010, ErikH, SAVAGE DISTORTION, Punkkitty, Dankstar, lexx9, Mr 9finger, loversmoon, BachToRock, Kingdon Guitarworks, Chrismo, SrDeMaFp, IndySG, ex-250, guitarglynn, Mononoaware, chickencoop, daan, t1r12003, Demina, Trevorus and more.

I believe the one in the pic is a 100k resistor...and it should be a 10k according to the schematic

Here it is.

Cleaned up pic