Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

  1. #1
    Toneologist JMP/HBE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    661

    Default 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P



    Is there a huge difference between old & new chips for overdrive type pedals ?

  2. #2
    of the Forum PFDarkside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere around... Chicago!
    Age
    39
    Posts
    16,830

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P



    Everything makes a difference, but enough for you to hear it and enough for you to care?
    Oh no.....


    Oh Yeah!

  3. #3
    Toneologist JMP/HBE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    661

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post


    Everything makes a difference, but enough for you to hear it and enough for you to care?
    Im only interested in the new & old Texas Instruments RC4558P.

  4. #4
    Braindeadologist GoldenVulture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Over at Rainbow in the Land of OZ
    Age
    66
    Posts
    24,293

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    Quote Originally Posted by JMP/HBE View Post


    Is there a huge difference between old & new chips for overdrive type pedals ?
    I can't say I know for sure but probably not as far as the TI chips go. They should be electronically the same. The differences would be if there were a few more letters trailing on the end of the part number. EG RC4558Pxx

  5. #5
    Little Pigbacon
    Guest

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    The sight of a beat-up Tubescreamer with about half the paint missing gets my motor running.

  6. #6
    of the Forum PFDarkside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere around... Chicago!
    Age
    39
    Posts
    16,830

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    Quote Originally Posted by JMP/HBE View Post
    Im only interested in the new & old Texas Instruments RC4558P.
    Again, everything makes a difference. You’ll have to find one to see if you can hear it and if you prefer it. I’m not sure that I can.
    Oh no.....


    Oh Yeah!

  7. #7
    Mojo's Minions devastone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Longmont, CO, USA
    Posts
    5,283

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    They function the same, otherwise they would have gotten a new number. I'm sure there are those out there that will say the old ones sound better (when did old different always become better than new different, anyway I digress), but I would bet no one would take a blindfold test on that. The problem with that would be that there would be way more difference from the tolerances on resistors and caps in 2 different pedals than chips with the same designation would make.

  8. #8
    Mojo's Minions Edgecrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    American lost in Italy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,659

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Again, everything makes a difference. You’ll have to find one to see if you can hear it and if you prefer it. I’m not sure that I can.
    2 of the same side by side will be different. Small but different. I never worry about the chip, if its rc4558p its fine.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

    "Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

  9. #9
    Mojo's Minions Edgecrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    American lost in Italy
    Age
    42
    Posts
    7,659

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    They function the same, otherwise they would have gotten a new number. I'm sure there are those out there that will say the old ones sound better (when did old different always become better than new different, anyway I digress), but I would bet no one would take a blindfold test on that. The problem with that would be that there would be way more difference from the tolerances on resistors and caps in 2 different pedals than chips with the same designation would make.
    About 10 years ago I drove myself crazy doing blind listening tests, I could never identify one chip or another blindly with any accuracy greater than just guessing. We even tried a few with a friend of mine at the end of the day either swapping the chips or not and seeing if i could pick up on a change the next day. Never could get that one either. Side by side I can hear they arent the same but its not identifiable enough for me to pick it out with any reliability.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

    "Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

  10. #10
    Toneologist JMP/HBE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    661

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    2 of the same side by side will be different. Small but different. I never worry about the chip, if its rc4558p its fine.
    Since yesterday ive spoken with Dave Friedman & Analogman Mike Piera and both said the same thing as above.

  11. #11
    Just A Minion ErikH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The Lonestar State
    Age
    47
    Posts
    19,900

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    I could never tell a difference between the same chip model. Now, between different models like the 4558 and Brown Burr OAP2134 or TL072, I could hear a difference. The Brown Burr is actually a cool chip in a TS style overdrive.

  12. #12
    Toneologist JMP/HBE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    661

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    I could never tell a difference between the same chip model. Now, between different models like the 4558 and Brown Burr OAP2134 or TL072, I could hear a difference. The Brown Burr is actually a cool chip in a TS style overdrive.


    So this pedal actually has 2 op amp chips stacked or piggybacked with the legs soldered.
    I ordered some TI-RC4558P and one Brown Burr chip that im going to mix & match with.
    Thanks for the tip.
    *edit : just read a bad review of the brown burr chip, sez its rather bland, prolly wont use it. Bought a sleeve of 20 Raytheon RC4558NB op amps from the 70's i think. Should be good.
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-05-2019 at 11:56 AM.

  13. #13
    Just A Minion ErikH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    The Lonestar State
    Age
    47
    Posts
    19,900

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    Quote Originally Posted by JMP/HBE View Post


    So this pedal actually has 2 op amp chips stacked or piggybacked with the legs soldered.
    I ordered some TI-RC4558P and one Brown Burr chip that im going to mix & match with.
    Thanks for the tip.
    *edit : just read a bad review of the brown burr chip, sez its rather bland, prolly wont use it. Bought a sleeve of 20 Raytheon RC4558NB op amps from the 70's i think. Should be good.
    Hmm. I used the Burr Brown in a SD-1 mod I did years ago and liked it quite a lot. I wasn't stacking though. I tried that once but was like, eh, not for me. Modding is fun as long as you don't lift a solder pad.

  14. #14
    Braindeadologist GoldenVulture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Over at Rainbow in the Land of OZ
    Age
    66
    Posts
    24,293

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    The Burr Brown chip is more "High Fidelity " in it's construction and used more in high end Audiophile gear. It not considered good when you want to produce " dirty " sounds. A cheap and nasty JRC4558P is often suggested better for " dirt " pedals.

  15. #15
    Toneologist JMP/HBE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    661

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P



    The pedal above has a socket so don't need to worry about solder pads.
    Heard from seller, the Ratheon's i bought are mixed dates 83' & 84'.

  16. #16
    Alnico 6/8 Chickenwings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Blue Mountains, Australia
    Posts
    10,188

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    It makes no difference at all once the band starts up.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

  17. #17
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    5,355

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenwings View Post
    It makes no difference at all once the band starts up.
    Maybe not to the listener but it makes a difference to the player that would like to have a pleasing tone.

  18. #18
    INTENSELY corrosive sweat formula73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Newport News, VA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    5,927

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Maybe not to the listener but it makes a difference to the player that would like to have a pleasing tone.
    I get a decent tone out of almost anything. This borders on insanity.

  19. #19
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    5,355

    Default 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    Quote Originally Posted by formula73 View Post
    I get a decent tone out of almost anything. This borders on insanity.
    Not really much different than swapping preamp tubes.
    Nobody but the player will ever notice but it hasn’t stopped all of us from doing it.

  20. #20
    Mojo's Minions dave74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Illi-ana line road, USA
    Posts
    3,340

    Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

    Hey I can think of a million worse hobbies than tinkering with audio mods. I even remember a few of them!

    Just remember, when it's about weird science it goes chips dips chains whips and Kelly Lebrock,,,, but chips always come first.
    Last edited by dave74; 04-08-2019 at 04:22 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •