Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

Is there a huge difference between old & new chips for overdrive type pedals ?

Default Re: 1980 Texas Instruments RC4558P vs current TI-RC4558P

Everything makes a difference, but enough for you to hear it and enough for you to care?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post

Everything makes a difference, but enough for you to hear it and enough for you to care?
    Im only interested in the new & old Texas Instruments RC4558P.

Quote Originally Posted by JMP/HBE View Post
    Im only interested in the new & old Texas Instruments RC4558P.
    Again, everything makes a difference. You’ll have to find one to see if you can hear it and if you prefer it. I’m not sure that I can.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Again, everything makes a difference. You’ll have to find one to see if you can hear it and if you prefer it. I’m not sure that I can.
    2 of the same side by side will be different. Small but different. I never worry about the chip, if its rc4558p its fine.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    2 of the same side by side will be different. Small but different. I never worry about the chip, if its rc4558p its fine.
    Since yesterday ive spoken with Dave Friedman & Analogman Mike Piera and both said the same thing as above.

That video illustrates a lot of things, soft clipping vs hard clipping, different diodes, and yes, different opamps, not old vs new 4558, but a wide variety of different opamps in the same circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    That video illustrates a lot of things, soft clipping vs hard clipping, different diodes, and yes, different opamps, not old vs new 4558, but a wide variety of different opamps in the same circuit.
    I have a tough time hearing the differences between some of the opamps, so I figure I couldn’t hear a difference between old/new of the same component.

JMP/HBE, have you made your swaps and comparisons yet?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

I have a tough time hearing the differences between some of the opamps, so I figure I couldn’t hear a difference between old/new of the same component.

The old ones just call you "sonny" a lot and complain about being cold.

Yes ive mixed & matched. The differences were anywhere from minimal to outstanding. The best ones ive gotten so far are USA Raytheons from early 80's. Ive stocked up on them.

Is there a huge difference between old & new chips for overdrive type pedals ?
    I can't say I know for sure but probably not as far as the TI chips go. They should be electronically the same. The differences would be if there were a few more letters trailing on the end of the part number. EG RC4558Pxx

Little Pigbacon

The sight of a beat-up Tubescreamer with about half the paint missing gets my motor running.

They function the same, otherwise they would have gotten a new number. I'm sure there are those out there that will say the old ones sound better (when did old different always become better than new different, anyway I digress), but I would bet no one would take a blindfold test on that. The problem with that would be that there would be way more difference from the tolerances on resistors and caps in 2 different pedals than chips with the same designation would make.

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    They function the same, otherwise they would have gotten a new number. I'm sure there are those out there that will say the old ones sound better (when did old different always become better than new different, anyway I digress), but I would bet no one would take a blindfold test on that. The problem with that would be that there would be way more difference from the tolerances on resistors and caps in 2 different pedals than chips with the same designation would make.
    About 10 years ago I drove myself crazy doing blind listening tests, I could never identify one chip or another blindly with any accuracy greater than just guessing. We even tried a few with a friend of mine at the end of the day either swapping the chips or not and seeing if i could pick up on a change the next day. Never could get that one either. Side by side I can hear they arent the same but its not identifiable enough for me to pick it out with any reliability.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

I could never tell a difference between the same chip model. Now, between different models like the 4558 and Brown Burr OAP2134 or TL072, I could hear a difference. The Brown Burr is actually a cool chip in a TS style overdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    I could never tell a difference between the same chip model. Now, between different models like the 4558 and Brown Burr OAP2134 or TL072, I could hear a difference. The Brown Burr is actually a cool chip in a TS style overdrive.

So this pedal actually has 2 op amp chips stacked or piggybacked with the legs soldered.
    I ordered some TI-RC4558P and one Brown Burr chip that im going to mix & match with.
    Thanks for the tip.
    *edit : just read a bad review of the brown burr chip, sez its rather bland, prolly wont use it. Bought a sleeve of 20 Raytheon RC4558NB op amps from the 70's i think. Should be good.
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 04-05-2019 at 11:56 AM.

So this pedal actually has 2 op amp chips stacked or piggybacked with the legs soldered.
    I ordered some TI-RC4558P and one Brown Burr chip that im going to mix & match with.
    Thanks for the tip.
    *edit : just read a bad review of the brown burr chip, sez its rather bland, prolly wont use it. Bought a sleeve of 20 Raytheon RC4558NB op amps from the 70's i think. Should be good.
    Hmm. I used the Burr Brown in a SD-1 mod I did years ago and liked it quite a lot. I wasn't stacking though. I tried that once but was like, eh, not for me. Modding is fun as long as you don't lift a solder pad.

The Burr Brown chip is more "High Fidelity " in it's construction and used more in high end Audiophile gear. It not considered good when you want to produce " dirty " sounds. A cheap and nasty JRC4558P is often suggested better for " dirt " pedals.

The pedal above has a socket so don't need to worry about solder pads.
    Heard from seller, the Ratheon's i bought are mixed dates 83' & 84'.

It makes no difference at all once the band starts up.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin