Thread: Best Blues Driver Mods?

Ultimate Tone Member

Default Best Blues Driver Mods?

I might have to put my dual overdrive search on hold for now, I just bought a Blues Driver off a friend for very cheap and I want to mod it. What are some cool mods you have tried / heard and what are their strengths and weaknesses?

I've been looking at the BHP Galaxie Mod, Wampler Brent Mason and Tweed mods, and a few other unnamed mods I've found on the internet.

I've been considering using this into a Tubescreamer TS-9 (that I might also be modding for higher gain purposes with the Wampler Standard and 808 mods) just if anyone thought that might affect their answer.

Little Pigbacon

Default Re: Best Blues Driver Mods?

Leave it. It’s better than 90% of the overdrive pedals out there.

D3 -> Change this 1SS133 to a different (1N4002) diode for asymmetrical clipping. This adds second order harmonics. This adds to the tube type sound.

D7 and D10 -> Change these diodes from 1SS133 to 1N4002. More second order harmonic distortion.

C1, C7, C6, C12, C13, and C15 -> Change this electrolytic capacitor to a 10uF tantalum. Nicer overall sound.

C14 -> Increase input coupling capacitor value to 0.1uF for more bass response.

R1, R2, R18 and R19 -> Change the resistors to carbon composition. These old resistors probably have some frequency dependent component, which means that there is a capacitive element to the resistor. This is because of the spacing in the material.

C100 -> Tone control. You can increase the lower frequencies by increasing the capacitor value to 0.033uF.

At least, that's the info that Keeley used to have on his website before he started taking big buck to do BD-2 mods. I did 'em to my bd-2 more than a decade and a half ago and have been happy with the changes. :P
    Last edited by GuitarStv; 04-04-2019 at 10:31 AM.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Ultimate Tone Member

What are the merits of simply replacing parts of the pedal with higher quality pieces of the same value? Does it add up in the long run to a better tone or is it not worth it? Also, can it make the tone worse?

tonewood instigator

I forget where I found this, but here is the parts list for the Galaxie mod:
    Name:  20190404_172927.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  68.6 KB
    I'm not sure he sells the kit anymore, but this is an approximation of the components.
    Once I had myself a million, now I've only got a dime.
    Difference don't seem quite as bad today.
    With a nickel or a million I was searchin' all the time
    For something that I never lost or left behind.