Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 23 of 23

Thread: What do you think of this maple top ?

  1. #21
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: What do you think of this maple top ?

    Dyes and stains are synonyms here. Stains are simply a dye in a water or alcohol. For furniture, stains have a finishing oil added usually so there is protection as well as the colour tint.

  2. #22
    Mojo's Minions ItsaBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011

    Default Re: What do you think of this maple top ?

    Dyes are solvent + color. All they do in the end is to deposit color, and nothing else, on/in something.

    Stains are solvent + color + binder. They are technically hard finishes.

    Many people call things stains, when they are actually dyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

  3. #23
    Mojo's Minions devastone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Longmont, CO, USA

    Default Re: What do you think of this maple top ?

    On guitars stains and dyes are not synonymous.

    Dyes give a different look than stains because they get into the grain, that's why they have more of a 3D look. You can't buy dyes at your local Home Depot or Lowe's and you have to mix them yourself. The results are worth it though.

    I posted a link about the differences a few posts back.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts