Thread: A rare japanese sparkly creature found it's way to my workbench this week.

Default A rare japanese sparkly creature found it's way to my workbench this week.

36 years of fretwear and gigging from it's owner, a 1983 Westone Raider I.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190331_164221.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	97248

Name:	20190331_164232.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	97249

Name:	20190331_183405 (2).jpg 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	97250

Name:	20190402_092441 (2).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	97252

Name:	20190405_052714.jpg 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	97253

Name:	20190405_052800.jpg 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	97256

Name:	20190405_052837.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	97254
    The fretboard was so dry it was starting to crack open, it had wire wool marks up and down the neck where it was never masked off, and the frets were worn down to sharp angular saw-tooth like blades.
    It sits at a weird in between scale length of 24.75, which was strangely comfortable and sounds pretty nice. I have no earthly idea what the Dimarzio in it is, assuming it's just a weird covered super distortion.

I told the owner I wanted to fix it up for him so he could gig with it again and to pay for strings and I'd get to work, it took less than 3 hours to level/crown/polish the frets, clean the guitar, and set it up right. Well worth it to see the look on his face when it doesn't play like crap, but I honestly think that he'll tell me it doesn't play right without green rusty destroyed frets.
    Last edited by StoRMiE; 04-07-2019 at 04:51 PM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker metalchurch79's Avatar

Default Re: A rare japanese sparkly creature found it's way to my workbench this week.

My buddy has a lefty one of those in the same color and everything! I want it so I can add a reverse Jackson neck and a Floyd but he wont get off of it. haha! Prob best he keeps it because they are very hard to find.
    87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Default Re: A rare japanese sparkly creature found it's way to my workbench this week.

Quote Originally Posted by metalchurch79 View Post
    My buddy has a lefty one of those in the same color and everything! I want it so I can add a reverse Jackson neck and a Floyd but he wont get off of it. haha! Prob best he keeps it because they are very hard to find.
    lol borrow it from him and trace the body, these things have so many straight lines it would be really easy to route a copied body for interesting projects. It'd be missing the sparkle, but it's definitely bass boat paint and I'm sure somewhere would do it.

Ultimate Tone Slacker metalchurch79's Avatar

Haha yea I actually asked him for a tracing of it atleast. He made no mention of the scale length and I saw you posted that is was 24.75 so I'd likely have to do some fenangling (sp) if I were to mod it.

I was thinking black with a blood drip or something like Chris Holmes from WASP would play cause he always had really cool Star shaped guitars and even though Im not a fan of him or that band I always liked his guitars.
    87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

That guitar looks sick with just one pick up and one control knob. I really dig it! You've done a good job with the fret board and frets. Do you have any more close-up pictures of the fret board?

;>)/
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by RorySquier View Post
    That guitar looks sick with just one pick up and one control knob. I really dig it! You've done a good job with the fret board and frets. Do you have any more close-up pictures of the fret board?

;>)/

Name:	20190331_183056.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	97353

Name:	20190331_183129.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	97354

Name:	20190402_092454.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	97355

Name:	20190402_100457.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	97356

Love it! Westones are killer guitars!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
    Love it! Westones are killer guitars!
    I had a feeling you would show up on this thread.

;>)/
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Westone necks are great. This one has lived and deserves a refret.

What wood the body is made of ? It is not specified here :
    http://www.westoneguitars.net/guitars/raider-i-ii/

Last two weeks the guitar I played the most was a Westone (Concord III : basically of wide neck strat) the second most played being a 1968 SG...
    3 main guitars : Jeff Beck Strat v1 (baseball neck & Lace Sensors) / 1978 Deluxe Telecaster (Wide Range & diving headstock), 1968 SG Standard with 2018 frets (SH-6 / P-Rail)

Guitars with specific purpose : Slide in E or open G, Baritone, 12 strings, open C / C# Slide, high-strung Nashville...

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    What wood the body is made of ?
    I think the bodies are alder, looks like it through the chips and in the neck pocket.

The owner tried it out last night and was really happy, I told him it was a freebie but he insisted on paying me anyway.

But he sent it back with me. Not because there was anything wrong with it, but because he wanted the jack replaced and wanted a coil split wired to a push pull. He intends to play it at a show on friday, his band immediately took a liking to it during practice as they had never seen or heard it before. I just wanted to see him play it again.

That thing kicks ass. Funny to see such a radical body shape with just 21 frets, though.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Quote Originally Posted by StoRMiE View Post
    It sits at a weird in between scale length of 24.75, which was strangely comfortable and sounds pretty nice.
    What's so weird about that scale? Every LP and ~99% of LP style guitars have that scale.

But seriously, don't run with that guitar, it's very pointy!

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    What's so weird about that scale? Every LP and ~99% of LP style guitars have that scale.

But seriously, don't run with that guitar, it's very pointy!
    It just feels very weird and different being on a bolt on with a strat neck and bridge, it's in between trying to be a strat, and trying to be an LP while being it's own strange thing.

That makes sense. FWIW Jake E Lee's Charvels are Gibson scale.

Many guitars have scale in-between Gibson and Fender : PRS and Aria Pro II for example.
    and also some accoustics like Martin.

So if you are used to both Strat and LP such guitar scales are convenient to play.
    Last edited by Francois; 04-17-2019 at 02:33 AM.
    3 main guitars : Jeff Beck Strat v1 (baseball neck & Lace Sensors) / 1978 Deluxe Telecaster (Wide Range & diving headstock), 1968 SG Standard with 2018 frets (SH-6 / P-Rail)

Guitars with specific purpose : Slide in E or open G, Baritone, 12 strings, open C / C# Slide, high-strung Nashville...

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    Many guitars have scale in-between Gibson and Fender : PRS and Aria Pro II for example.
    and also some accoustics like Martin.

So if you are used to both Strat and LP such guitar scales are convenient to play.
    24.75" is not in-between, it is the standard Gibson scale.