Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tube Screamer or EQ

Default Re: Tube Screamer or EQ

Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    Not asking for purchase advice, just trying to wrap my head around something. Seems to me most people recommend using TS style pedals with the gain bottomed out, level up and tone to taste. So basically, a clean-ish boost with a mid-hump for cutting through a loud band and/or mix.

Is there any reason not to just use an EQ with a gain knob (like say, the MXR 10-band or equivalent)? Wouldn't it give you the same effect, with the added option of being able to further dial in mid boosting and bass cutting?
    How about a TS9 into a 10band EQ ?
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Just picked up an MXR 10-band today. Sounds good in the FX loop. It does the TS thing, but without sounding like a TS. I like it. Gain slider doesn't really seem to do much though, unless hooked up in front of the amp.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Ultimate Tone Slacker Van Noord's Avatar

I always felt that having the gain on a TS boost pedal set to zero thinned out the sound too much. I always set the pedal's gain to 1/10. That retained some warmth and girth without clouding up the input signal.
    Last edited by Van Noord; 05-31-2019 at 09:13 PM.

It's good enough for Dime and Slayer. Do it.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

Ultimate Tone Slacker Van Noord's Avatar

Also note that some EQ pedals also have their own voice and add it to your tone. The DOD FX45 or the Boss GE-7 for example that I'm using with one of my rigs. I really like the way it smooths and clears up all the frequencies. It adds almost a hi-fi element to my sound.
    The DOD I had before did the same. I used it to boost the front end of my Marshall 8100. I did this when I was in my late teens and didn't really know much about gear or that boosting amps was even a thing. I did it, and it sounded great, so I that was it...

Ultimate Tone Slacker Nostalgic Distortion's Avatar

I use both....

I run a TS-9ish pedal (Wampler Clarksdale) with lots of volume & not much gain at the beginning of my pedal chain, then a MXR 6 Band EQ shaped into a mid bump after my Fuzz but before any modulation or time based effects...

Unless I’m playing a amplifier that’s got a effects loop that is. Then the EQ, modulation, & time based effects are pushed through the loop & all my dirt boxes sit out front of the amp..
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    Just picked up an MXR 10-band today. Sounds good in the FX loop. It does the TS thing, but without sounding like a TS. I like it. Gain slider doesn't really seem to do much though, unless hooked up in front of the amp.
    One of the first tone tricks somebody taught me when I first started playing and was looking to tweak things was exactly that; an EQ pedal in the Effects Loops. Works wonders.