Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most overrated pedal or type of pedal

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Default Re: Most overrated pedal or type of pedal

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    The amount of depht and sustain you gain for long notes with big muff is just phenomal. I was very skeptical about them, until I bought one and learned to play it. Now I love it.
    I love Big Muff, I olay a Russian Greeny mostly, but also do the vintage silver.

The one thing about Muffs that could make then seem "Overrated" is that new clone, variation, or mod fuzzes on the market today can absolutely be as good or better than the old ones IMO. It's a circuit that begs to be tweaked and played with in innovative ways.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Except they invented most every digital effect amongst many other analog effects, also when almost every company quit making pedals in the early 80s -they remained as the champion to keep Pedals alive -even EHX quit the pedal industry for a decade.

so I don't know if they CAN be overrated -they are the lifeblood of pedal history.
    This is all admirable, but none of it speaks to how their pedals stack up sonically to the what’s out there. The competition in the industry they helped make possible is not easily dismissed. They have some great pedals, but they don’t always win in a head to head.
    Last edited by Little Pigbacon; 04-20-2019 at 05:30 AM.
    Pigs in space. Pigs in space. Preparing to launch all pigs into space.

I poop my pants and wear KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

True by-pass on any pedal. I never knew my tone sucked until I was told it did by True-Believers in True-Bypass.

Funny thing - none of the tones I aspire to had true bypass. Probably propaganda from Strymon
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    True by-pass on any pedal. I never knew my tone sucked until I was told it did by True-Believers in True-Bypass.

Funny thing - none of the tones I aspire to had true bypass. Probably propaganda from Strymon
    Just so long as it isn't hardwire bypass, you should be good.
    Like the fool I am and I'll always be
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    They can change their minds but they can't change me
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    Oh, I know I could share it if you'd want me to
    If you're goin' my way, I'll go with you

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I'd more blame it on Behringer's little secret chinese brother TC Electronic
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

I blame whoever was making pedals that sounded so bad off that people first got the idea of TruByPass in the first place. One guitar, through one pedal, into one amp? With the pedal turned off, it should sound like you’re plugged straight into to amp, regardless of the technology inside the pedal.
    Pigs in space. Pigs in space. Preparing to launch all pigs into space.

Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    I blame whoever was making pedals that sounded so bad off that people first got the idea of TruByPass in the first place. One guitar, through one pedal, into one amp? With the pedal turned off, it should sound like you’re plugged straight into to amp, regardless of the technology inside the pedal.
    My first distortion pedal was a black Ross I bought new in 1983 or so. That thing KILLED the sound when it was off! Totally muffled it.

In your buy/sell/buy thread I talk about loving the sound of a DOD FX40B eq pedal except when it is OFF! Exact opposite problem: the buffer makes my guitar sound brighter and spankier than without the pedal.

I really like my guitar sound and the last thing I want is pedals that change it when the are NOT turned on!

Quote Originally Posted by 80's_Metal View Post
    While I'm at it, let's add all the big muffs .... Bleh... Everyone talks about them and owns a few, but do they ever get used?
    Yes! Mine gets used pretty often. I hate the big muff into an overdriven amp with high output pickups . . . but into a pristine clean channel with low output single coils it's a lovely lead sound.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Mojo's Minions

The most overrated pedal, hands down, no debate, mic drop ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    My first distortion pedal was a black Ross I bought new in 1983 or so. That thing KILLED the sound when it was off! Totally muffled it.

In your buy/sell/buy thread I talk about loving the sound of a DOD FX40B eq pedal except when it is OFF! Exact opposite problem: the buffer makes my guitar sound brighter and spankier than without the pedal.

I really like my guitar sound and the last thing I want is pedals that change it when the are NOT turned on!
    A friend of mine back in high school had a Zoom 505 II and the damn thing would bypass like you rolled the tone knob down to 2.

Hilariously bad.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    My first distortion pedal was a black Ross I bought new in 1983 or so.
    My first distortion was a tan ROSS I bought around 1979, I still use it. It sounds a lot like an MXR D+ with a little less gain and grit.

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    My first distortion was a tan ROSS I bought around 1979, I still use it. It sounds a lot like an MXR D+ with a little less gain and grit.

The JHS YouTube channel had an episode for op-amp distortion pedals and I'm pretty sure that exact same pedal was on it.

Sounded phenomenal. As you say, like a slightly fatter D+.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post

That is the version just before the one I had. I don't know if they sound the same or not; I believe my version was made in Taiwan? It sounded really good on but TERRIBLE off. Like Diego said, it was like rolling the tone down to 1 or 2 when it was off. If that thing had true bypass I would have never sold it but I wanted bright cleans and thick distortion sounds and it kind of gave me the exact opposite!
    Last edited by Dave Locher; 04-25-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darg1911 View Post
    The most overrated pedal, hands down, no debate, mic drop ...

thats actually a damn good tube screamer

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    thats actually a damn good tube screamer
    Pretty sure it's a slightly tweaked version of the pedal you just bought from me.

Mojo's Minions

I think the Overrated Special is a modified Green Rhino ... which is a modified Tube Screamer.

I’m going to be the fourth person in a row that says it’s a Tube Screamer.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I'm amazed when a pedal company makes an oversized casing, or names a pedal something silly or describing how fat of huge it is, or names it something that has the word tone or vintage that this becomes the barometer for how good the pedal is.

Marketing in pedal world is suuuuper effective.

If I built a clone TS with a 100hz switch and called it "Traditional Silicon Diode Distortion Box w/ bass boost" -nobody would laude how awesome it was, but if I called it "Vintage TrueFat Tube Monster" -people will testify to it's greatness.

It was Mike Fuller (Fulltone) in ~1995-ish at the beginning of the "boutique" pedal craze that started the big deal about TB. Hard to believe how many pedal companies have started in <25 years.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I'm amazed when a pedal company makes an oversized casing, or names a pedal something silly or describing how fat of huge it is, or names it something that has the word tone or vintage that this becomes the barometer for how good the pedal is.

Marketing in pedal world is suuuuper effective.

If I built a clone TS with a 100hz switch and called it "Traditional Silicon Diode Distortion Box w/ bass boost" -nobody would laude how awesome it was, but if I called it "Vintage TrueFat Tube Monster" -people will testify to it's greatness.
    but also, interesting, this doesn't seam to matter with amps and guitars like it does pedals. people literally do not give 2 sh*ts what a new model guitar's model naming style or number designation is
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 04-25-2019 at 04:05 PM.