Thread: Need help choosing a color

Default Need help choosing a color

Hi.

Got this charvel desolation and its got a black chrome hardware. Floyd rose 1000 series. With hardened steel saddles and brass sustain block.

Got a deal on a gold hardware german made original floyd rose but came with an R2 nut, thats the deal.

I wont be installing that R2 because of a horrible missmatch with it being a small/short fitting that means i will be using the stock black chrome nut that cames with the guitar.

Need help so i can sleep better.

Should i go with all black chrome hardware or does it look ok with gold bridge and the stock black chrome nut?

Default Re: Need help choosing a color

Are the blocks the same depth on both? Or will you transfer the big-block (which I assume is the correct depth for the guitar) over the the gold trem?

If the blocks aren't close there can be a weird angle on the springs from claw to block,,,,,,can cause issues depending,,,,,,,some do have spring-locker bars too.

Also, you could always just buy some gold locking pads for the nut instead of changing the nut itself.
    Last edited by dave74; 04-15-2019 at 12:53 AM.

Visually, the color mis-match isn't my favorite, but you could also use the clamp pads from the R2 nut on your factory nut to bring a little gold to the headstock, as well

Chrome or black for me.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Not into gold, but I don’t mind the mismatch. Agree on using the gold pieces from the new nut.

Black....definitely.

I’ve never really liked gold hardware.

IMHO, black, that guitar has enough going on already with all the abalone.

To me the only place gold hardware is acceptable is on a LP Custom.

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Tricky.

I guess I'd go with black as that huge gold piece of trem steers my attention away from the fancy figured top of the guitar.

Not my style at all but I think it looks fantastic.

Spray it black
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

I see a gold trem and I want to paint it black

Gold looks great --- for a little while then it looks like pure s#$t. Stay with the Black trust me you WILL regret the gold if you are going to actually play the guitar and regret it quickly!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Fender Modern Player Tele, 99 Mex modded Strat, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120, Taylor 115
    Amps Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Black & chrome

Yet another vote for black chrome.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Ultimate Tone Slacker

I dont like the gold bridge unless it's with other gold hardware on the guitar like tuners

Also, that's not a great color green with the tiger maple stripes for gold hardware -a lighter like mint, sea foam or shoreline mist green or a darker flat art deco era green would look WAAAAY better with gold hardware IMO

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Ultimate Tone Member rainsong86's Avatar

If you go gold you can't skimp on the gold.. tuners, string tree, strap buttons, volume knob, switch, pickup height screws, and whatever parts you can use for the locking nut.

If you go that route I'd also suggest switching to an aged white/parchment set of pickup rings. Same for the switch tip. Details matter

So after asking the wife without her recognizing iv bought a new toy we came up with the gold hardware. But let me explain.

The gold hardware is all i could afford. I got it nos for like 180 dollars as opposed to 400 new from the store. Its even cheaper than a chrome floyd.

The floyd the guitar came with was a 1000 series (not the special although i do have that also from another guitar, ill talk about that later).

This is how she looks

Ok so i hate gold. I know that itll fade ugly but im not planning on playing this alot because its actually the most beautiful axe iv owned for 20 years.

But since its only this gold hardware i could afford that has the german steel so i went with it.

Its an 800 dollar axe and now it feels like 1000 dollars more.

The 1000 series floyd i transfered that to an LTD guitar that has a special on it. That guitar now is very loud acoustically.

The charvel also comes with EMG 81/85. Im still not used to this type since iv never owned an active setup before. Im not sure if im suppose to lower the pickup like youd do to a passive. Im not even sure when to know if the battery is dying though a new rechargable is in there.

Its also my first neckthru. I cant believe the sustain this guitar has. When cant hear the strings ringing i could still feel the vibration on my left palm.
    Last edited by budubum92; 04-16-2019 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I dont like the gold bridge unless it's with other gold hardware on the guitar like tuners
    While I agree that the hardware should match, we will have to agree to disagree on colors, gold only goes with black or white, on a LPC although I will give you the Gretsch. It has no place on any form of strat-ish instrument. There are a couple of the Charvels that I really like, except they have gold hardware, yuck, IMHO that Angel Vivaldi model is hideous. {Please read that in a semi-sarcastic tone, it is all ice cream and I only like the gold flavor in relatively few, specific settings}

Quote Originally Posted by budubum92 View Post
    So after asking the wife without her recognizing iv bought a new toy we came up with the gold hardware. But let me explain.

The gold hardware is all i could afford. I got it nos for like 180 dollars as opposed to 400 new from the store. Its even cheaper than a chrome floyd.

The floyd the guitar came with was a 1000 series (not the special although i do have that also from another guitar, ill talk about that later).

This is how she looks

Ok so i hate gold. I know that itll fade ugly but im not planning on playing this alot because its actually the most beautiful axe iv owned for 20 years.

But since its only this gold hardware i could afford that has the german steel so i went with it.

Its an 800 dollar axe and now it feels like 1000 dollars more.

The 1000 series floyd i transfered that to an LTD guitar that has a special on it. That guitar now is very loud acoustically.

The charvel also comes with EMG 81/85. Im still not used to this type since iv never owned an active setup before. Im not sure if im suppose to lower the pickup like youd do to a passive. Im not even sure when to know if the battery is dying though a new rechargable is in there.

Its also my first neckthru. I cant believe the sustain this guitar has. When cant hear the strings ringing i could still feel the vibration on my left palm.
    I think the theme would be complete with gold pick up rings. That would really stand out.

;>)/
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Oh that looks fine

I'm not a fan of gold hardware either
    But you cant hear the difference
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)