Thread: 70's Electra SG becomes Drop C# or C riff machine due to garbage intonation (Clip)

Super Toneologist GuitarFanatic's Avatar

Default 70's Electra SG becomes Drop C# or C riff machine due to garbage intonation (Clip)

I overhauled this Electra SG from the 70s that had seized pots and dead pickups, put a Seymour Duncan SH6 set in there as well as CTS pots and Switchcraft switch and jack that I got for free out of a Chibson. I got the bridge for free from another guy and it did fit, but the intonation on this guitar is garbage so I decided to get it as close as I could and tune it to Drop C to make some 80's riffs. Or I think it's a Drop B guitar..
    Gear
    Organs: 1972-73 Conn 632 "Serenade" church model, 1972 Hammond T-524 (in progress chop!), Audiosonic 237S, and Lowrey Wandering Genie + my '71 Hammond L-112 across the country.
    Synths: Roland D-20, Kawai K11.
    Leslie Cabinets: Leslie 825 and 705.
    Guitars: 1961 Amena Model 1827, Monterey Stage Series bitsa, 1991 Charvel CX-291 bitsa, 70s Hondo acoustic and a ton of parts.
    Pedalboard: Home made DJ case thing conversion with a lot of budget pedals on it.
    Amps: Fender M80 (in pieces)

Default Re: 70's Electra SG becomes Drop C# or C riff machine due to garbage intonation (Clip

You are a monster kid I love it. Cool shirt too.

tonewood instigator

Default Re: 70's Electra SG becomes Drop C# or C riff machine due to garbage intonation (Clip

There's nothing cooler than taking something and bending it to be used for in a way it was never intended to.

And yes, I see the double meaning in that.
    Like the fool I am and I'll always be
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    They can change their minds but they can't change me
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    Oh, I know I could share it if you'd want me to
    If you're goin' my way, I'll go with you

You got the gainz!

Cool riff... see how it sounds stoner style on the neck pickup with less gain and more mids.

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    You are a monster kid I love it. Cool shirt too.
    My guitars are the embodiment of Frankensteins.
    Gear
    Organs: 1972-73 Conn 632 "Serenade" church model, 1972 Hammond T-524 (in progress chop!), Audiosonic 237S, and Lowrey Wandering Genie + my '71 Hammond L-112 across the country.
    Guitars: 1961 Amena Model 1827, Monterey Stage Series bitsa, 1991 Charvel CX-291 bitsa, 70s Hondo acoustic and a ton of parts.
    Pedalboard: Home made DJ case thing conversion with a lot of budget pedals on it.

Nathan, what pedals and amp are you going through?

Mojo's Minions

Are you sure the wrong intonation isn't on account of the freebie bridge you put on it?

Most Electras were higher end japs and had good hardware. Give the original a soak in alcohol or WD-40 if it's grimy or seized up
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Quote Originally Posted by Securb View Post
    Nathan, what pedals and amp are you going through?
    I wasn't using any pedals here, but I had Amplitube 4 running with some FX and such from there. My amp died so I can't use my pedalboard much anymore.
    Gear