Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Amp opinions?

  1. #1
    Member Semetery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    The Graveyard
    Posts
    34

    Default Amp opinions?

    Hey everyone,

    I was wondering if I could get some opinions on a couple of amps I'm looking at?

    I'm considering trading my Kemper (bad idea?) and I've had a couple of offers but am not sure which would give the most value and sound like something I'm looking for. Sure, it's subjective to each individual but if anyone has played any of them, I'd love a little input. I have no way to play any of the offered amps, even the Dual Rec. I play everything from Iron Maiden to the Allman Brothers and then over to Killswitch Engage, Pantera, Megadeth, Cannibal Corpse, Death, and on. I think I have the more 'rock' and traditional stuff covered with a Marshall JCM800 and a Peavey VTM. I also have a 5150, 5150 II and 5150 III that I use for metal (of course), but they're similar enough that I think I could branch out pretty easily to something different.

    Think I'd get anything from any of these options that I don't have covered already?

    Diezel Herbert
    Diezel Einstein
    ENGL e636 Extreme Aggression
    Mesa Dual Rec (3 channel)

    Again, I understand that we all like different things, only looking for opinions from those who have tried any of this stuff.

    Thanks everyone! And thanks to SD for the Slash Alnico II set. Haha.

  2. #2
    Super Toneologist VinceT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,398

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    I’d say keep the Kemper (and possibly trade one of the 5150s?)


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    5,908

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    I would think you can cover any tone you’d want with what you already have, no?

  4. #4
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,655

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    I would think you can cover any tone you’d want with what you already have, no?
    +1

    And if the Kemper isn't enough, for the sort of money a Diezel demands in the US (or a Mesa in the EU) you could easily get an AxeFx to cover those tones where the Kemper isn't working for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  5. #5
    Super Toneologist justFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,161

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    +2
    looks like ya got it covered...maybe a Martin D-18???every player needs an acoustic for sanity check occasionally...

  6. #6
    Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    AZ
    Age
    18
    Posts
    9,402

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    Kemper is the future.

  7. #7
    Member Semetery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    The Graveyard
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    Maybe I needed to know I wasn't missing anything? I just ALWAYS hear about the Mesa and how they have that desirable sag so figured I'd ask around. Thanks everyone for the input, it's very much appreciated.

    Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    +1

    And if the Kemper isn't enough, for the sort of money a Diezel demands in the US (or a Mesa in the EU) you could easily get an AxeFx to cover those tones where the Kemper isn't working for you.
    I was thinking that as well but the new Axe III's are pretty expensive right now. I wouldn't mind just running that with my Kemper and having actual room back.

    Quote Originally Posted by justFred View Post
    +2
    looks like ya got it covered...maybe a Martin D-18???every player needs an acoustic for sanity check occasionally...
    You're absolutely right! I don't have an acoustic that cost more than $350. I played a few recently and, I guess maybe because I'm used to very low end acoustics, actually preferred a $1500 Taylor 224k to one that was twice that. But I am partial to Gibsons, guess I just came up seeing them and wanting one, got a Marshall for that very reason at first.

    So, not to derail my own thread I guess but, anyone have anything to say about the latest Gibsons? Is Martin or Taylor that much better, in your opinion?

  8. #8
    HardtailPisser ibanezrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,097

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    Why do you want to get rid of the Kemper?

    Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Member Semetery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    The Graveyard
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrocks View Post
    Why do you want to get rid of the Kemper?

    Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    Well, really, I guess I don't. I grew up with tubes, more often low end solid state's, like most, and I think I get caught up in reading too much and making an amp bucket list that's probably unnecessary. Might be a lot in my head, the Kemper sounds fantastic.

    I will say that I think I need to try a good frfr with it though, to mix with the cabs I've been using, so I can better hear more tonal variety.

    Has anyone tried the Friedman, Laney or headrush cabs they make for this? I was thinking about some Yamaha monitors (dxr) but I think they're too much for home right now probably.

  10. #10
    Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Land of Confusion
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,539

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    Check out this one:

    https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/produ...iestm-new/k82/

    It's not a textbook geetar FRFR but an indusrty-grade, pretty flexible onstage speaker instead. Some weeks ago I tried it back on tour. I use an Alto wedge that is almost identical to the Headrush. It seemed to be a good idea to test this QSC as it's half the size and my spine wants to consider this, I'm always open for a lighter solution. I tried this during sound check with my line gear and and was blown away, it was so ridiculously effective that I kept using it on the gig. It totally makes sense onstage.

    On the topic:

    - keep the Kemper
    - sell two Peaveys, keep just the fav one
    - get an Engl
    - get a Mesa
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 04-25-2019 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typos

  11. #11
    Super Toneologist justFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,161

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    used acoustics sound better...listen to a new Taylor or whatever and an older one...that was what I was told some years ago...tried it with my D-18 and the ones with some years on them sounded better for some reason that is beyond my understanding....

  12. #12
    Member Semetery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    The Graveyard
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by NecroPolo View Post
    Check out this one:

    https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/produ...iestm-new/k82/

    It's not a textbook geetar FRFR but an indusrty-grade, pretty flexible onstage speaker instead. Some weeks ago I tried it back on tour. I use an Alto wedge that is almost identical to the Headrush. It seemed to be a good idea to test this QSC as it's half the size and my spine wants to consider this, I'm always open for a lighter solution. I tried this during sound check with my line gear and and was blown away, it was so ridiculously effective that I kept using it on the gig. It totally makes sense onstage.

    On the topic:

    - keep the Kemper
    - sell two Peaveys, keep just the fav one
    - get an Engl
    - get a Mesa
    I had been looking at the 12.2 that's in that line (I believe). Is the 8 pretty loud? That's one of the things I've had a hard time really figuring out from videos, it's hard to get a real perspective. I play at home right now but I'd like a good speaker that I can take with me when I'm playing out again soon, even for just a simple acoustic/vocal show.

    I want a Mesa and ENGL both. I play heavy stuff from the 80's to modern sounding (though I don't play modern music exactly, I do like the sound of some of it).All these years I've kept buying the same type and, while it's what I really like the sound of, it hasn't offered me much 'different' to play with.




    Quote Originally Posted by justFred View Post
    used acoustics sound better...listen to a new Taylor or whatever and an older one...that was what I was told some years ago...tried it with my D-18 and the ones with some years on them sounded better for some reason that is beyond my understanding....
    Ha, that's cool. I guess the wood settles or whatever? Changes? I'm not sure what to call it but I can tell even in the cheap ones I've used that the tone changes over time.

  13. #13
    Ultimate Tone Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    366

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    For FRFR with a modeler they are better options than QSC (and other PA speakers). PA powered speakers are designed to project sound over the head of the crowd at maybe up to 40', not what you are used with a guitar cab. You can like it and get it used to (I have an EV ZLX12P that I use to test my patches), but I will suggest you look at Atomic CLR, XTones, Matrix and Accugroove. Tech21 just release a new power engine (Deuce Deluxe) dedicated for guitar/bass modelers and Celestion is launching a new speaker also dedicated to guitar modelers (should be able to put in a regular guitar cab).
    So keep your Marshall, Peavey VTM and one 5150 and sell two others to finance a good FRFR dedicated to modelers. My choice would be an Accugroove Latte.

  14. #14
    HardtailPisser ibanezrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,097

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    If you just need speakers for home use with the Kemper, try studio monitors. A PA setup is overkill. Bonus with the studio monitors: now you have studio monitors for home recording.

    Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,655

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Semetery View Post
    I was thinking that as well but the new Axe III's are pretty expensive right now. I wouldn't mind just running that with my Kemper and having actual room back.
    They are, but they're not any more expensive than a Diezel in the US or a Mesa in the EU. You could always sell a redundant amp or two to help finance it, or opt for a used Axe II and save a bundle.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  16. #16
    Member Semetery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    The Graveyard
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    I have been looking pretty hard at some studio monitors, thinking of how they'd work for many different things. Good suggestion. Do you think the Kemper will sound thin or small if I got something like the Yamaha HS8 set? With the subwoofer?




    Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    They are, but they're not any more expensive than a Diezel in the US or a Mesa in the EU. You could always sell a redundant amp or two to help finance it, or opt for a used Axe II and save a bundle.
    Can't argue with that logic. I see the III is also on a waiting list. I haven't read anything about the differences from the II to III, might be a good time though I guess. I'd be really willing to let go of my 5152 if not for it being Cameron modded. It has a stronghold on me and I prefer the original for the heavy deep end it has, I like the option of boomy in an amp. Don't record with it, of course, but I like it in the room.


    Speaking of liking a really chugging, boomy, bassy bottom on an amp, what are some good amps for that? I had a Peavey Ultra that had a lot of butt on it but the 5153 doesn't. It's a great, even dare I say nearly perfect, amount with resonance up, but I like it to feel the thunder rumble through my Orange 4x12's since my current situation lacks us a bass player. Haha. I'll cut all that down once we fill that position. Anyone know how the low is on the Randall Satan or EVH Stealth? I don't expect a lot on the Stealth. I was looking in to Mesa, ENGL, Diezel and the Ubershall for that exact thing though I may just look for those amps in profile form.
    Last edited by Semetery; 04-26-2019 at 02:18 AM.

  17. #17
    Chris JB_From_Hell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Age
    40
    Posts
    18,933

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    Just curious, what made you get the Kemper if it's not copping all those other tones?

  18. #18
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,655

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Semetery View Post
    I have been looking pretty hard at some studio monitors, thinking of how they'd work for many different things. Good suggestion. Do you think the Kemper will sound thin or small if I got something like the Yamaha HS8 set? With the subwoofer?
    Short answer: No.

    They probably wouldn't be great for monitoring at a gig, but they're not really designed for that. They'd be great for practice or recording, and they may even be too much depending on the size of the room you're playing in. An 8" speaker sounds small for guitar, but that's not the right way to approach studio monitors or PA speakers. Yamaha HS8s are surprisingly loud and have a lot more low end than you'd expect. I seriously doubt you'd need the sub for guitar; it's more useful for bass and kick drum while mixing.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  19. #19
    Member Semetery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    The Graveyard
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Just curious, what made you get the Kemper if it's not copping all those other tones?
    I couldn't try it first, there isn't a shop anywhere near me that has one. I still would've, just later, when I was playing live and recording again.






    Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    Short answer: No.

    They probably wouldn't be great for monitoring at a gig, but they're not really designed for that. They'd be great for practice or recording, and they may even be too much depending on the size of the room you're playing in. An 8" speaker sounds small for guitar, but that's not the right way to approach studio monitors or PA speakers. Yamaha HS8s are surprisingly loud and have a lot more low end than you'd expect. I seriously doubt you'd need the sub for guitar; it's more useful for bass and kick drum while mixing.
    I do think in terms of cabs and typical guitar speakers, still working on that. I think I'll try the HS8's then, I wish I could try them in person too but I couldn't find them in store at the Guitar Center last time I went.


    Contrary to what considering trading it away might seem like, it is all they say it is, just confused to whether it's what I want right now. I like to crank an amp through a cab and twist knobs and find what I like and then try to find something else for a while. With the Kemper, most of the work is done for you (the beauty of it, the convenience, a wonderful purpose) and you're flipping other people's settings to find out what you agree with and then making what tweaks you can/want. Or you profile your own, which I'm thinking I might just do in this case. There are a ton of fantastic profiles out there, free or affordable, but they don't replace the amp-head experience for me. Whether that's worth the money for more amps or saving money for other things I guess is up to each owner.

    I think I'll get monitors and see how that goes. I was just looking for opinions and they've been good ones. There are a lot of posts on the Kemper forums talking this same stuff about not meshing with it at first or it not replacing heads for some, I wanted some different perspective here.

  20. #20
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,655

    Default Re: Amp opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Semetery View Post
    Contrary to what considering trading it away might seem like, it is all they say it is, just confused to whether it's what I want right now. I like to crank an amp through a cab and twist knobs and find what I like and then try to find something else for a while. With the Kemper, most of the work is done for you (the beauty of it, the convenience, a wonderful purpose) and you're flipping other people's settings to find out what you agree with and then making what tweaks you can/want. Or you profile your own, which I'm thinking I might just do in this case. There are a ton of fantastic profiles out there, free or affordable, but they don't replace the amp-head experience for me. Whether that's worth the money for more amps or saving money for other things I guess is up to each owner.
    For the way that you want to use it, an AxeFx would be a much better fit than a Kemper. Instead of having a snapshot that you can adjust, an Axe is essentially a digital version of an amp that you can tweak just like the real thing. If you want to go down the rabbit hole you can also do things like change tone stack values and output transformers.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •