Thread: Best match for a 1980's Bill Lawrence L500

Default Best match for a 1980's Bill Lawrence L500

Hi, I bought the L500 sometime between '80 and '82, it has been in a few different guitars but is now back in the bridge position of the early 70's Antoria Thin-Line it was bought for. Was thinking of either a Hot Rails or Cool Rails just wondered if anyone had any opinions? :-)

Default Re: Best match for a 1980's Bill Lawrence L500

L45S maybe? I used to have a guitar loaded with a L500L and 2 L45Ss, great set up.

http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Twin_Blades.html

Thanks, Might well be the best option, Years ago I had the L500 in the middle of 3 HB's, A Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, the L500 in the middle and a DiMarzio Dual sound in the neck. I 'bodged' the wiring with a 5 way selector, 2 DPDT's and a SPDT. There were a lot of different tones, the majority were unusable, just horribly thin and tinny, but there were a few wonderful sounds in between. I didn't have a clue what I was doing with the wiring and when I tried to wire it with only the good sounds available (far too easy to flick the wrong switch live and produce the kind of nasty feedback that has dogs running for cover for miles around) I killed the 'magic'. I did my best to put it back the way it was but it was never the same. One of my many wtf did you do that for moments, like fitting a Kahler to my beautiful SG2000S ... that one still makes me feel sick.

Yeah, I used to play with wiring options years ago, then I realized I only used a couple of settings anyway and everything else just got in the way.