Thread: NGD: Ibanez RG370 and pup's replacement

Tone Member Mathías Gabriel Rock's Avatar

Default NGD: Ibanez RG370 and pup's replacement

How are you doing fellas?

I have bought a beautiful Ibanez RG370AHMZ (pic here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwRxdADFJIC/ ) and I absolutely love it's playing, tuning stability, bridge (it's my first 'floyd rose' loaded guitar), neck, finish, almost everything except the pickups *that I almost hate*. The middle pickup is an alnico one, which I don't hate that much and I don't plan to change it now, but the stock ceramic humbuckers I think are awful. Has anyone any RG with SD's? Do they change a lot or would I not notice any significant change? As you know, there are guitars that react more to pup's replacement than others and I don't want to be messing up a new guitar for nothing.

I have at home a neck Invader that I am not using and an Alternative 8 bridge pup in another guitar that I won't use that much. Should I leave the new RG the way it is or should I try these pickups in it? Do you have any other combo to suggest?

Thank you!

Default Re: NGD: Ibanez RG370 and pup's replacement

I had an RG570 with a SD Distortion in the bridge, I absolutely loved it. Had an Invader in the neck that I wasnt fond of, sounded muddy to me but that could of been the setup.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550
    Guild D4 acoustic

Quote Originally Posted by Hsb View Post
    I had an RG570 with a SD Distortion in the bridge, I absolutely loved it. Had an Invader in the neck that I wasnt fond of, sounded muddy to me but that could of been the setup.
    I will check those Distortion, I am pretty sure I will find a video with that setup. Would you say maybe Distortion/Jazz set is better? Thanks man!

Ive never been a fan of the Jazz but think that would work better than the Invader. The Distortion also comes in a neck version also.
    Guild D4 acoustic

Mojo's Minions

Very different beasts

RG570, assuming you mean old MIJ? Basswood + Rosewood, superb edge or lopro edge trems, plain looking EXTREME high end shredder

RG370ahm? Ash + maple, indo, suspect edge zero trem, verrry purdy looker middling guitar

One's a spartan battleaxe, the other is a flashy ceremonial... and the specs are totally different, so they really shouldn't sound much alike
    Last edited by Adieu; 04-16-2019 at 07:44 AM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

I'd have to ask first what you hate about them. How would you change them? I also think that if you have pickups on hand, might as well try them- you are bound to hate them less than what is already in there.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
    Very different beasts

RG570, assuming you mean old MIJ? Basswood + Rosewood, superb edge or lopro edge trems, plain looking EXTREME high end shredder

RG370ahm? Ash + maple, indo, suspect edge zero trem, verrry purdy looker middling guitar

One's a spartan battleaxe, the other is a flashy ceremonial... and the specs are totally different, so they really shouldn't sound much alike
    Loved the comparison haha But yes, they are very different.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I'd have to ask first what you hate about them. How would you change them? I also think that if you have pickups on hand, might as well try them- you are bound to hate them less than what is already in there.
    Lifeless, stiff. I'd say that I do like the tone, but it's way too artificial to my ears (compared to the alnico middle pup or any other of my SD pups). I must also say that I am not a shredder, I prefer Fender-ish guitars but I already have some of those and I am thinking of playing some heavier stuff.

I might try the ones I have at home, theres nothing to lose if I am careful when replacing them.
    Last edited by Mathías Gabriel Rock; 04-16-2019 at 09:33 AM.

When I saw the model of guitar, I instantly thought "Quantum pickups" and then knew what my recommendation would be without reading the rest:

Alnico V magnet swap in neck and bridge

Cheap, easy cure for the stiff and lifeless quality of the stock, Ceramic-equipped Quantum series pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by Adieu View Post
    Very different beasts

Great comparison, yes it was a MIJ 570, loved the Wizard neck and tone for days. Sadly it was stolen never to be seen again.
    Guild D4 acoustic

Quote Originally Posted by masta' c View Post
    When I saw the model of guitar, I instantly thought "Quantum pickups" and then knew what my recommendation would be without reading the rest:

Alnico V magnet swap in neck and bridge

Cheap, easy cure for the stiff and lifeless quality of the stock, Ceramic-equipped Quantum series pickups.
    Holy fix! Thank you for your wisdom sir, you seem to have experience with those 'Quantum' ceramic things. However, I must say that where I live, there are no stores that sell magnets, so I would have to import them. And that's not a problem, but if I am going to pay for the shipment, I may prefer to buy a whole pickup. Uruguay hates guitarists.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsb View Post
    Great comparison, yes it was a MIJ 570, loved the Wizard neck and tone for days. Sadly it was stolen never to be seen again.
    So sad to read.. She was a dream to play for sure.

On my RG870RWZ-NTF I went with a PATB set. Awesome balance between the 5 position, and they sound great.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics), PRS SE Custom 24 Flametop (TB-5/PGn), Ibanez RG870RWZ (PATB set), Jackson DK2M1H (JB), LTD ST-213A (HRb/STK-S4 m&n) & TE-212 (Hot Stack/A2P), Dean Cadillac 1980 (59 set) & Old Skull V (TB-6/Jazz), Squier VM JM (SJM-1 set);Effects:Korg Pitchblack Poly, Digitech Drop, MXR CAE MC404 & EHX Wailer wahs, L6 HXFX, Fender FVP-1, EHX Volume Pedal; Amp & Cab:H&K GM 40 Dlx, L6 DT25 cab;

Quote Originally Posted by Synapsys View Post
    On my RG870RWZ-NTF I went with a PATB set. Awesome balance between the 5 position, and they sound great.
    Nice! Thank you for your input. Do you have any sound sample?

UPDATE: I have replaced the pickups with the ones I had at home (Alt 8 Bridge and Invader Neck) and now the guitar has come to life. I wouldn't say it sounds perfect but I am really happy with the outcome. Thank you for all your suggestions as I will try other pickups on her in the future, but for now I am comfortable with the ones I used.

Here is a video of her (first part with some overdrive and second part with distortion):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJNB4WXnPGI

I have just realized it was a Full Shred, not an Invader. Sorry for the mistake..

Full Shred neck with Alt8 bridge?
    Sounds like a score to me.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

It is in fact! I am really satisfied with the sound it has now. Thank you all once more.