Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Duncan Pickups - Les Pauls

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default Duncan Pickups - Les Pauls

    Hi All

    Turn on closed captions

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rpurY4InOg

    Peter

  2. #2
    Toneologist JMP/HBE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    740

    Default Re: Duncan Pickups - Les Pauls

    Great job, good technique.

  3. #3
    Ultimate Tone Member OsvyRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    497

    Default Re: Duncan Pickups - Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by PMcCarthy View Post
    Hi All

    Turn on closed captions

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rpurY4InOg

    Peter
    That second pickup combination, the Custom 5 + Pearly Gates neck was pretty neat sounding. Couldn't say the same with a regular (ceramic) SH-5 in the bridge.
    Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

  4. #4
    Super Toneologist jmcorey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    1,476

    Default Re: Duncan Pickups - Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by OsvyRock View Post
    That second pickup combination, the Custom 5 + Pearly Gates neck was pretty neat sounding. Couldn't say the same with a regular (ceramic) SH-5 in the bridge.
    Actually, did the OP even switch pickups? It seems that the tobacco sunburst was set to the bridge JB all the time and the cherry sunburst was set to the neck Pearly Gates.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Duncan Pickups - Les Pauls

    Thanks for listening, yeah...I switched the pickups on the Cherry Burst and used them together.

    PM

  6. #6
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    6,345

    Default Re: Duncan Pickups - Les Pauls

    Cookin
    Maniac - Blasphemer - Necrobutcher - Hellhammer

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Posts
    80

    Default Re: Duncan Pickups - Les Pauls

    Great chops and great tone. Nice work, Peter
    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop 'bucker, SH2b (neck)
    Fender bassbreaker 30r

  8. #8
    Ultimate Tone Member rainsong86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Age
    33
    Posts
    506

    Default Re: Duncan Pickups - Les Pauls

    How do you feel about the alnico pro amd pearly gates in the neck position? I have the 59 in most of my les paul style guitars and I feel it's a tad bit too boomy and dark. Would either of those two alnico II pups help. I've already got a custom 5 I plan on putting in the bridge pos, and almost bought an alnico pro II for the neck

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Duncan Pickups - Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by rainsong86 View Post
    How do you feel about the alnico pro amd pearly gates in the neck position? I have the 59 in most of my les paul style guitars and I feel it's a tad bit too boomy and dark. Would either of those two alnico II pups help. I've already got a custom 5 I plan on putting in the bridge pos, and almost bought an alnico pro II for the neck
    Thanks guys!
    The TB Paul has a maple neck so the JB and A2P are a good match. I dig the PG on the Cherry burst. It has more grunt and sizzle. I would think the 59 would be the brightest of the 3..I have a 59 bridge in a LP axcess and love it..I'm planning on putting one in the neck as well.

    I'm into bright neck pickups. So I raise the screws a tad to match neck radius. I find that makes a huge difference.
    Thanks again for listening.
    Peter

  10. #10
    I poop in my KISS diapers while I cry that they are mean to me Aceman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!
    Age
    52
    Posts
    34,660

    Default Re: Duncan Pickups - Les Pauls

    First of all - That JB tone was fantastic on that tune. I used a Custom Custom personally when playing that tune/slide. But - similar EQ curve and we don't know where he set the tone. Nicely done!

    Second - Another just great, if understated PG neck tone! Many here, including me approve the PG as the best all around LP neck pickup period.

    But...REALLY would have loved to hear the A2P and the C5 sounds!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: Duncan Pickups - Les Pauls

    Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    First of all - That JB tone was fantastic on that tune. I used a Custom Custom personally when playing that tune/slide. But - similar EQ curve and we don't know where he set the tone. Nicely done!

    Second - Another just great, if understated PG neck tone! Many here, including me approve the PG as the best all around LP neck pickup period.

    But...REALLY would have loved to hear the A2P and the C5 sounds!!!!!!

    Here's a C5 in the Bridge of the LP, except the middle solo which is a 59 in a LP Axcess


    https://soundcloud.com/user-611866108/big-squawk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •