Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wat mic and interface do I get?

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Default Re: Wat mic and interface do I get?

It sounds to me too that you just did not find the sweet spot yet.

It is really hard to get a bad sound these days on a hardware level unless you have a genuinely terrible ancient audio interface. Even super cheap interfaces have high sample rates enough and decent AD / DA converters on the market.

On the original question, I think Focusrite Clarett interfaces have nice price / quality ratio. If 2 ins / outs are enough, the baseline Clarett 2pre is around $400.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 04-17-2019 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typos

OH THE GLAZE!

Quote Originally Posted by NecroPolo View Post
    It sounds to me too that you just did not find the sweet spot yet.
    I don't think so.

Thx for the recommendation.

I think so.

Getting different gear will get you a different sound for sure. But upgrading to a $500 interface is not going to make much of a difference tbh. I've went from a simple, entry level interface and a single 57 to a 57/421-U5/condensor combos into CAPI VP 26's then into an RME Fireface 800. And although I love the sounds I can get, my learning and experimenting with mic placements and how a guitar tone works in the mix is FAR more important than just the gear itself. I can toss a mic infront of the amp with that chain and make it sound like crap just as easy.

Listen to the advice being given to you, experiment more, and if you don't like the sound of a 57, I would change mic before changing an interface, as you are going to have to spend a significant amount to get a perceivable difference, vs a new mic.

Also, what rig are you recording? Can we hear a sample? If we can hear it we can have more to go on.
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

OH THE GLAZE!

Ya so Abbey Road uses a 57 into a pos interface from a bundle because that's all you need? Ya I'm sure. You guys are uppity as ****. Thanks for the recommendations and for the mic placement principles but wtf. Posting a thread asking for recommendations isn't a synonym for I'm a dumbass.

OH THE GLAZE!

So here's probably the best sound I've achieved with the 57 into pos interface and my little amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxH3S0UDVyE

Here's an example of the 57 sucking. Sounds really lo fi and doesn't capture my sound at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2bniSn82ao

Big improvement with the condenser mic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqW7G4-F3zI

So here's my $300 condenser recording my Warmoth strat into my twin reverb. I think it's possible to get better recorded sound than this since my guitar/pup/amp rig is pretty darn good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzyaqx5QIxU
    Last edited by Clint 55; 04-17-2019 at 11:36 AM.

No one's calling you a dumbass, we're simply stating work more with your current tools first before just buying gear blindly. And once again, a $500 interface isn't going to magically make everything sound great. I just told you that I record my rig with over $3,000 in equipment, and I still found my experimenting and understanding mic placements was more important. Does it mean my 3k in equipment was useless? No. But if I sent you all that and you left your mic where it was would it all of a sudden sound like magic? also no.

Abbey Road uses a 57 into a sweet ass channel strip in a great sounding room, with a great sounding rig, with a great player and....a great engineer who knows where to put the damn thing. It's a balance.

But hey, go ahead and get yourself a better interface if that's what you want. but like I said, if you're going to spend $$ on gear I would go mic first, then interface / dedicated preamp.
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

An interface to consider after your $500 interface:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en/products/babyface.php

It seems to be tiny and fragile but it is a tank really. It has very nice transparent preamps, the best AD/DA in price range and it has bombproof audio drivers.

After the RME, consider this:

https://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfa...-twin-usb.html

It is a tiny ninja of a sick-pro studio, awesome preamps and mixing apps, absolutely capable of recording and mixing / mastering an album.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
    Abbey Road uses a 57 into a sweet ass channel strip in a great sounding room, with a great sounding rig, with a great player and....a great engineer who knows where to put the damn thing. It's a balance.
    It should be pointed out that a studio engineer's job in the 1960s was vastly different from today. Most if not all of the high profile studios back then had signature sounds because the engineers there literally built the gear they used. A lot of the technology The Beatles used is commonplace today, but it simply didn't exist at the beginning of their career. The musicians or producers would come up with a sound they wanted to capture and the Abbey Road engineers would have to invent a way to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

OH THE GLAZE!

Quote Originally Posted by NecroPolo View Post
    After the RME, consider this:

https://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfa...-twin-usb.html

It is a tiny ninja of a sick-pro studio, awesome preamps and mixing apps, absolutely capable of recording and mixing / mastering an album.
    Yaaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
    ...and they still can't remember to turn the ringer off on the phone during a recording session. (can't find the version online with the phone ring but I have the original vinyl at home with it.)

Toneologist Obsessive Compulsive's Avatar

Steinberg UR824 is the shyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
    Steinberg UR824 is the shyte.
    RT series more like so. Better front-end with Neve developed trannies.

OH THE GLAZE!

^ Thx for your help. I ordered the Apollo Twin.

You're welcome. That's a great unit.

This should help clear up exactly what people are talking about when they mention the marginal, almost imperceptible improvement of only upgrading the interface (the part where he A/Bs a professional interface with a $50 soundcard is pretty illuminating.)

Another thing that will make one of the most obvious changes to the sound is your recording space. If you haven't already, definitely build yourself sound bass traps and acoustically treat any parts of your room that are causing reflections. Parallel walls are the worst offender.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

Agreed! The best thing I did for my practice space was to build bass traps. It doesn't seem like they're doing anything, but you remove them and all of a sudden there are weird reflections and uneven bass all over the place.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

OH THE GLAZE!

I did a demo with my new Apollo Twin and it sounds like 10 times better all you trolls.

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    Agreed! The best thing I did for my practice space was to build bass traps. It doesn't seem like they're doing anything, but you remove them and all of a sudden there are weird reflections and uneven bass all over the place.
    Got any links to plans, or are these your own design?

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    I did a demo with my new Apollo Twin and it sounds like 10 times better all you trolls.
    Universal Audio = Yes.
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    No-one has been trolling you. They were helping you to make sure your money didn't get wasted. If it worked, good for you.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation