Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: HH HUM CANCELING COIL TAP WITH DPDT

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1

    Default HH HUM CANCELING COIL TAP WITH DPDT

    How can I wire my HH Ibanez with 1 vol and 1 tone to get him canceling pickups in middle position? Can't seem to figure it out. One pick up (jb) is wires correctly, but I can't seem to choose the right color combo to cancel the hum on middle tapped position.

  2. #2
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    5,894

    Default Re: HH HUM CANCELING COIL TAP WITH DPDT

    Split the neck to the screw and the bridge to the slug. Use this diagram.

    https://images.app.goo.gl/eQKXgSScLZq9G1nLA

    Welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by Clint 55; 05-15-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    They'll hurt me bad but I won't mind
    They'll hurt me bad they do it all the time

  3. #3
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    21,635

    Default Re: HH HUM CANCELING COIL TAP WITH DPDT

    I think you mean split (tapping is another process entirely). Things get a little more complex if you want certain coils active and want to keep hum-cancelling, though.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  4. #4
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,522

    Default Re: HH HUM CANCELING COIL TAP WITH DPDT

    Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55 View Post
    Split the neck to the screw and the bridge to the slug. Use this diagram.

    https://images.app.goo.gl/eQKXgSScLZq9G1nLA

    Welcome to the forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I think you mean split (tapping is another process entirely). Things get a little more complex if you want certain coils active and want to keep hum-cancelling, though.
    My Explorer is wired to split the bridge pickup to the slug coil and the neck pickup to the screw coil. I used this diagram, but wired the bridge pickup like the top in the diagram and the neck like the bottom.

    It works great and sounds even better.
    Last edited by dystrust; 05-15-2019 at 09:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  5. #5
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    21,635

    Default Re: HH HUM CANCELING COIL TAP WITH DPDT

    I split to either both screw coils or both stud coils. A magnet has to be flipped to remain hum-cancelling, though.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  6. #6
    OH THE GLAZE! Clint 55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    New Mex
    Posts
    5,894

    Default Re: HH HUM CANCELING COIL TAP WITH DPDT

    Some wires have to be flipped as well. :P
    They'll hurt me bad but I won't mind
    They'll hurt me bad they do it all the time

  7. #7
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    21,635

    Default Re: HH HUM CANCELING COIL TAP WITH DPDT

    Indeed.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  8. #8
    Bacteriaolgoist GuitarDoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Calif
    Age
    72
    Posts
    12,846

    Default Re: HH HUM CANCELING COIL TAP WITH DPDT

    Please use correct terminology. There is a big difference between "tap" and "split".
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

  9. #9
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    21,635

    Default Re: HH HUM CANCELING COIL TAP WITH DPDT

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Please use correct terminology. There is a big difference between "tap" and "split".
    I am weird about this too, despite that many people don't know the difference. We, of all people, should use the right terms here. It makes it easier for people to understand the information presented.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  10. #10
    Ultimate Tone Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    355

    Default Re: HH HUM CANCELING COIL TAP WITH DPDT

    Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I split to either both screw coils or both stud coils. A magnet has to be flipped to remain hum-cancelling, though.
    Why is that, Dave? I mean, why did you choose to go that route rather than split to both inside or both outside coils?

    It makes me cringe when people doing YouTube demo videos - especially Chappers and the Captain, who should absolutely know better - use the wrong terms. Especially when some manufacturers (PRS I believe) do actually sell guitars with humbuckers that are wired to be tapped.

  11. #11
    Mojo's Minions dystrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    West St. Paul, MN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,522

    Default Re: HH HUM CANCELING COIL TAP WITH DPDT

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
    Why is that, Dave? I mean, why did you choose to go that route rather than split to both inside or both outside coils?
    I'm pretty sure that's what he is doing. With typical humbucker orientation both slug coils would be inside, while both screw coils would be outside.

    I split my bridge humbucker to the slug coil because they tend to be less bright, and it's also farther from the bridge than the screw coil. With the neck humbucker it matters less, so I split that one to the screw coil because I don't want to deal with flipping magnets and reverse wiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

  12. #12
    Ultimate Tone Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    355

    Default Re: HH HUM CANCELING COIL TAP WITH DPDT

    Sorry, I think I'm having a special moment because all the humbuckers in the room are either double-slug or double-hex.

  13. #13
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    21,635

    Default Re: HH HUM CANCELING COIL TAP WITH DPDT

    Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's what he is doing. With typical humbucker orientation both slug coils would be inside, while both screw coils would be outside.

    I split my bridge humbucker to the slug coil because they tend to be less bright, and it's also farther from the bridge than the screw coil. With the neck humbucker it matters less, so I split that one to the screw coil because I don't want to deal with flipping magnets and reverse wiring.
    Yeah, that's what I am doing. The sounds are similar, but not exact. I actually like both screw coils the best.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •