Thread: Simple Wiring Question

Default Simple Wiring Question

On the rather simple attached schematic, what wire or wires would I move to make this arrangement tone only on the bridge pup? Tell me in terms of colors of wires. I don't follow legs that well. Thanks for the assistanc
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Super Toneologist DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

Default Re: Simple Wiring Question

The green wire from the tone pot should connect to the same terminal on the switch as the bridge pickup is connected to.

Keep in mind that when both pickups are on the tone control will affect both pickups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks David, but i dont see a green wire on the middle pot...the only green i see is on the Blender going to where you said on the switch!?

The green wire from the tone pot should connect to the same terminal on the switch as the bridge pickup is connected to.

Keep in mind that when both pickups are on the tone control will affect both pickups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Super Toneologist DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

Look again. Is that green or blue? Either way itís not black or white. Lol.

Think about how the circuit works. Itís not hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh..okay! So I'd have 3 wires to that same lug on the switch? Right? Nothing but a ground connecting the tone pot to the volume pot...still gives me bridge tone?As you can probably tell, I'm new at some things~~

Look again. Is that green or blue? Either way it’s not black or white. Lol.

Think about how the circuit works. It’s not hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by moto; 04-21-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Oh..okay! So I'd have 3 wires to that same lug on the switch? Right? Nothing but a ground connecting the tone pot to the volume pot...still gives me bridge tone?As you can probably tell, I'm new at some things~~

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

First of all, that diagram is seriously wrong. Note that the bridge and neck "hot" wires are shorted together. So giving advice based on that diagram will get you nowhere. Let me study it a little closer and see if I can figure out the proper diagram. I assume, on your actual guitar, that the neck and bridge aren't both on all the time.

For the moment, compare that Strat diagram to Lindy's Tele diagram. Note the 3-way switch. See how the wire (yellow) that connects those 4 terminals together is NOT the same terminals where the pickup hot wires go. That's the problem with Lindy's Strat diagrams.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/wp-con...-90-Wiring.pdf

Ok . . . the bridge hot wire and green wire need to change places with the purple wire. The neck hot wire should go to that unused terminal on the top-right. I'm trying to redraw it now.

Remember, your guitar is probably wired correctly. Only the diagram is wrong. (Although, a pic would help.)

The wires at the green arrow should go to the red arrow terminal, and vice-versa. (White and green only. Yellow stays where it is.) There should be a solder connection at the blue arrow. Proabably already there. Then, the cyan wire, (cyan arrow), should go to the red arrow terminal.

Again, a pic of your actual wiring would help.

Artie

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lindy_1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	97798
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-24-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks... But don't forget this contains a Blender pot whereas the Tele schematic does not. Thanks for the help & kindly reassess your findings.
    Kenny

Yup. I didn't forget. That's why you would move the white AND green wires to where the red arrow is. But this is important: I'm sure your guitar is not wired incorrectly. Only the diagram is wrong. So . . . you only move the lines on the diagram. You don't actually move any wires on your guitar.

The main point I'm making is that we can't really use that diagram to help with your original question. And, keep in mind, for your original question, you only need to move one wire. (That cyan one.) But where to move it is the problem. Again, because of the incorrect diagram. Note that not only does that diagram show the neck & bridge "hots" shorted together, they also show the blend pot shorted out. It can't work that way.

So ultimately, to answer your question properly, we need an actual pic of the wiring of your guitar. Otherwise, we're shooting in the proverbial dark.

Or, you could look at it like this: Wherever that cyan wire is connected to the volume pot . . . simply move that end to the place wherever the bridge "hot" wire is connected. That's really all you have to do.

Edit: Update. Just talked to the good folks at Fralin. They were very receptive and immediately recognized their mistake. I imagine an updated diagram will be posted as soon as they are able. You may want to hold off 'til then, and we can start over from the right diagram. Although, it really is as easy as moving that one wire end.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-25-2019 at 07:09 AM.

Thanks ARTIE TOO! I haven't done anything yet as it's my 1st do-it-myself project. Also, i think I just might be switching gears to the 3 pup setup shown below. And what i want to do, like my original plans, was to have BRIDGE ONLY, understanding that whatever the pu is on with the bridge pu will also be affected. SO, if you will, advise me on what wire(s) to move to produce the above results. Thank you brother & keep rockin'! Kenny. I can't attach anything, but I'll send it as a new thread with ARTIE TOO as the header!!
    ��

Thanks again ARTIE TOO! I have yet to try this yet, I have no existing wiring!! This is my 1st DIY, and I'm teetering between just buying an already assembled Emerson harness or trying this myself. Though I've been playing for 55 yrs, since i was 8, simple fixes with a gun are easy & i can read schematics, but never anything from scratch!! oy

Cool. I hope I helped.

You sure did!! We'll speak again, I'm certain.
    Kenny
    ��