Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My guitar’s body is too thin, I guess... Suggestions?

Default Re: My guitar’s body is too thin, I guess... Suggestions?

How do I go about replacing the screws? Are they the same screws that you can see the head of at the top of the pickup? Sorry for the dumb questions, I’m still new to some of these concepts. If I change to shorter screws, will it still change the response of the pups if the replacements are the same metal/material? I’m thinking I might go with the hacksaw idea if there’s really no way to keep the exact same tone/response of the pickups while solving my problem.
    “The lies that withheld me for an eon shan’t live to be, for where I find shelter once more must last for eternity... My strength through my tongue now has found a way to endow what causes their lachrymosa; the words thus be unbound!”

Again I would suggest calling the number MINCER provided above.
    Let the manufacturer replace the screws
    So you don't violate your warranty
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

changing the length of the screws will change the tone a bit but you may like it, especially in the neck.

the six screw heads you see on the top of the pup are the same screws that poke through the bottom

I did as Adieu said and made sure they fit by unscrewing the screws and putting the pups in the cavity. Looks like I have no choice but to cut the screws. I emailed tech support in hopes they’d give me a better option, but I doubt they’ll have one, and I’m pretty sure I’m already beyond the pale in terms of the warranty. Thanks for all the help, guys! I hope I can get this much help when it comes time to mod my Micro Dark, ha ha.
    “The lies that withheld me for an eon shan’t live to be, for where I find shelter once more must last for eternity... My strength through my tongue now has found a way to endow what causes their lachrymosa; the words thus be unbound!”

Well, let us know how this turns out. I'd still call about maybe some replacement screws.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Well, let us know how this turns out. I'd still call about maybe some replacement screws.
    Yeah I wouldn't do anything until I heard back from tech support
    They could at least give you the size screws you'd need when you went to the hardware store
    EHD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutwrencher View Post
    How do I go about replacing the screws? Are they the same screws that you can see the head of at the top of the pickup? Sorry for the dumb questions, I’m still new to some of these concepts. If I change to shorter screws, will it still change the response of the pups if the replacements are the same metal/material? I’m thinking I might go with the hacksaw idea if there’s really no way to keep the exact same tone/response of the pickups while solving my problem.

Sure you have another option you can just as easily use a drill press and drill holes for the screws to fit into in the body. Easy enough to mark off the bit making sure you dont drill thorugh the body. This will have minimal to zero impact on tone.

Cutting the screws is a minor change on tone it has a larger effect on pick response. It will tighten it up.

If you need replacement screws you can get them here https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/P...epieces-Nickel

dont go to your hardware store the alloy they use doesnt sound good. If you want to dive down the rabbit hole different screw alloys do change the tone but very subtly.

If it was me I would be inclined to drill the holes in the body. That way if you ever swap pickups you can without having to mod the pick ups again.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't do anything until I heard back from tech support
    They could at least give you the size screws you'd need when you went to the hardware store
    Does really no one around this forum remember that the pole piece screws are 5/40 fillister screws? Last i checked SD didnt sell parts. But its been a couple of years since i asked them to do so, maybe they have changed.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Does really no one around this forum remember that the pole piece screws are 5/40 fillister screws? Last i checked SD didnt sell parts.
    Oh, Oh, I did, I did!

Same for DiMarzios. I was just about to post that they are 5-40 screws, but I didn't want to get into a metallurgical discussion. FWIW, he will probably want 5/8" or 1/2" screws, and since it is a BW, in black.

https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/P...lepieces-Black

i dont think id drill the body. id replace the screws so you have the stock ones in case you sell the pup. youll also be able to use the screws on a different pup if you end up swapping at some point down the road

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Sure you have another option you can just as easily use a drill press and drill holes for the screws to fit into in the body. Easy enough to mark off the bit making sure you dont drill thorugh the body. This will have minimal to zero impact on tone.

Cutting the screws is a minor change on tone it has a larger effect on pick response. It will tighten it up.

If you need replacement screws you can get them here https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/P...epieces-Nickel

dont go to your hardware store the alloy they use doesnt sound good. If you want to dive down the rabbit hole different screw alloys do change the tone but very subtly.

If it was me I would be inclined to drill the holes in the body. That way if you ever swap pickups you can without having to mod the pick ups again.
    I don’t have a drill press, or a working drill at the moment for that matter, so I’ll just go ahead and cut the screws or get some replacement screws. I like the other stuff you wrote, though! Good to know that cutting the screws gets me a tighter pick response.
    Last edited by Gutwrencher; 04-24-2019 at 03:47 PM.

I would replace the screws rather than cutting them

The process of cutting them will damage the start thread
    And when you go to put them back in, damage the pickup
    Either stripping the existing threads or breaking a winding
    EHD

I would replace the screws rather than cutting them

The process of cutting them will damage the start thread
    And when you go to put them back in, damage the pickup
    Either stripping the existing threads or breaking a winding
    Thank goodness I didn’t put the cut ones in yet. I just got done cutting them, but I lost a couple of them in the process, so I just ended up ordering some replacements online.

or breaking a winding
    No way he would break a winding. These arent strat pups where the polepieces touch the winding, there is a plastic bobbin between the winding and the screw.

But its simple enough when you cut a screw to use a file or some sand paper and take off any rough edges before you put it in your pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutwrencher View Post
    Thank goodness I didn’t put the cut ones in yet. I just got done cutting them, but I lost a couple of them in the process, so I just ended up ordering some replacements online.
    Mojotone has these https://www.mojotone.com/Pickups_x/P...lepieces-Black they are black and will match the ones in the black winter and are already a 1/4 inch shorter. May not be enough shorter.

Hey man, I already posted those under the cat picture!

And yes, some care has to be taken with the screws ends after cutting, but it doesn't ruin them. It's actually a good idea to put a nut on the screw above where you are cutting and filing/cleaning up, then when you take the nut off it cleans out the threads. But, 5-40 nuts aren't the easiest to come by.
    Last edited by devastone; 04-25-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Super Toneologist DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

You can cut the ends of the screws off. I had to do that with my Parker P-38 because it has a thin body.

Also try to buy pickups with the short legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    Hey man, I already posted those under the cat picture!

And yes, some care has to be taken with the screws ends after cutting, but it doesn't ruin them. It's actually a good idea to put a nut on the screw above where you are cutting and filing/cleaning up, then when you take the nut off it cleans out the threads. But, 5-40 nuts aren't the easiest to come by.
    That you did.... and yet somehow when i wrote my other post it slipped my mind like wooosh....

Here have another cat

Name:  Cat4_imgur-5aab02cbff1b78003653092c.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  64.2 KB

That would be me on a daily basis!

that pic literally made me laugh out loud, thanks!