Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My guitar’s body is too thin, I guess... Suggestions?

Default Re: My guitar’s body is too thin, I guess... Suggestions?

Late but relevant update: I put in the smaller screws in the pickups (I got them from mojotone). Unfortunately, they sound kinda worse than before. In the old guitar, the pups sounded killer with the exact amount of attack I wanted. Now, they don’t have that same percussive, bright quality to them that they used to. The old guitar and the current guitar have the same body and neck woods, but different fretboard woods (old one has maple while the current one has Jatoba), so that might also be a contributing factor to that. Oh well. At least the pups still sound better than the stock Ibanez ones, especially the neck pickup.

If it’s breaking the rules to post here long after the thread has died, feel free to delete this post and close the thread.
    “The lies that withheld me for an eon shan’t live to be, for where I find shelter once more must last for eternity... My strength through my tongue now has found a way to endow what causes their lachrymosa; the words thus be unbound!”

Dang well that's unfortunate
    But all the materials that make up the guitar have subtle but cumulative effects
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Yeah, that's not a great ending here. Are you going to replace them again?
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    I think the issue he's having is that the height adjuster screws are bottoming out. Such is the reason why Warmoth does this to their bodies:

Attachment 97724
    No. The height adjusting screws do not move up and down. The routs that you illustrate are for the screw tabs on the pup baseplate (which DOES adjust up and down).
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutwrencher View Post
    Late but relevant update: I put in the smaller screws in the pickups (I got them from mojotone). Unfortunately, they sound kinda worse than before. In the old guitar, the pups sounded killer with the exact amount of attack I wanted. Now, they don’t have that same percussive, bright quality to them that they used to. The old guitar and the current guitar have the same body and neck woods, but different fretboard woods (old one has maple while the current one has Jatoba), so that might also be a contributing factor to that. Oh well. At least the pups still sound better than the stock Ibanez ones, especially the neck pickup.

If it’s breaking the rules to post here long after the thread has died, feel free to delete this post and close the thread.
    The difference in tone/attack that you are hearing is NOT due to the screws. The shorter screws would in fact do just the opposite.

The difference you are hearing is because it is a different guitar (different woods, even in the fretboard, make the difference).
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    No. The height adjusting screws do not move up and down. The routs that you illustrate are for the screw tabs on the pup baseplate (which DOES adjust up and down).
    Right, but most of the time the height adjustment screws stick out of the bottom of the tabs even further. I've had to cut height adjustment screws many times on bodies that don't have that route, but I've never had to install one of those routes on a body to accommodate tabs.
    Like the fool I am and I'll always be
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    They can change their minds but they can't change me
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    Oh, I know I could share it if you'd want me to
    If you're goin' my way, I'll go with you