Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Super Switch Wiring Help

Default Super Switch Wiring Help

I am installing a JB/Jazz set into my PRS Standard 22 and wanted to replace the 3 way switch with a 5 way super switch to get some different pickup configurations. I am having a very hard time figuring out how to wire this to do what I am looking to do. I am using 1 volume and 1 tone and would like the switch positions to go as follows 1. Bridge Humbucker Series 2. Outer Coils Series 3. Neck South Coil 4. Inner Coils Series 5. Neck Humbucker Series. Does anyone know how to wire a super switch with this configuration?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-Way-Switch.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	97723

Default Re: Super Switch Wiring Help

I think I can craft up a diagram for you. Do you want hum-cancelling in positions 2 and 4?

That would be awesome thanks! I am going for a straty type tone with position 2 and 4 so what ever would have more chime.

two series coils isnt very stratty. typical strat 2 & 4 are two pups wired parallel in phase. nothing wrong with series but not sure youll get what you want.

Yeah I know it’s not really like a strat but I have an Ibanez az that does this configuration an I really like the tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdiggy View Post
    Yeah I know it’s not really like a strat but I have an Ibanez az that does this configuration an I really like the tone.
    Yeah, I just wired my Jackson like the AZ, really liking it. Very stratty tones. So to get hum-cancelling, you'll either need to flip the entire neck pickup around or flip the magnet inside the neck pickup around (bridge is fine too, it doesn't really matter). Either alteration won't affect the tone in a noticeable way. Which one works for you?

I will flip the neck pickup. Thank you

physically flipping the pup wont change the magnetic relationship between the two pups. you need to flip the magnet

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    physically flipping the pup wont change the magnetic relationship between the two pups. you need to flip the magnet
    I'm a bit inexperienced in this, but if you flip the pickup, in position 2 for example, the screw coil in the neck pickup and the slug coil in the bridge are wired in parallel, which have opposing polarities. They'll cancel out the hum. Same deal for position 4. It works the exact same as the slug and screw coil that are right next to each other in the humbucker. Flipping the magnet will produce the same effect, however if you wire the full neck and bridge together, they'll be out of phase in that case.

Please don't be hesitant to correct me if I'm wrong.

That makes sense to me.

I will flip the neck pickup. Thank you
    Alright here goes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (5)_LI.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	97783

Both red and white wires are going to Lug A3.

Again, if something doesn't seem right or straight up doesn't work, hit me up.

Credits to BriGuy1968 for doing most of the diagram.

If you wire it up and find positions 2 and 4 to be underwhelming and lacking pop (like I did), consider adding a treble bleed circuit. It helped my tone massively.

Thanks. So it looks like the red and white go into A4 but you said A3. So would they go to A3 and then nothing in A4?

Thanks. So it looks like the red and white go into A4 but you said A3. So would they go to A3 and then nothing in A4?
    Sorry for being unclear. The connection to lug A3 was drawn by me, so I was trying to provide clarification. The red and white wires go to BOTH A3 and A4. If you follow the rest of the diagram, you should be fine.

Thanks For your help. I will let you know how it goes.