View Poll Results: Should I get a cs Phat Cat and another HHx strat?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yas - more guitars are better

5 83.33%
  • No - the guitar is cool as is

1 16.67%

Thread: Should I get a custom shop Phat Cat?

OH THE GLAZE!

Default Should I get a custom shop Phat Cat?

I have my HHx with my Phat Cat in the middle and JB/Super D in the bridge. And I can't decide to leave the guitar as is cuz it's a cool pickup combo. Or get a custom shop med output Phat Cat bridge and make the ax double Phat Cat and then make a new HHx strat with the JB/Super D and my Seth/Ant which doesn't have a home right now.

Name:  HHx3.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  50.2 KB
    Last edited by Clint 55; 04-22-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Ultimate Tone Slacker metalchurch79's Avatar

Default Re: Should I get a custom shop Phat Cat?

If that guitar makes you pitch a tent I say leave it as is and build another guitar.
    87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

OH THE GLAZE!

Hmmmm. Then wat would I put in the bridge with my classic Seth/Ant hybrid when the JB/Super D is the most classic. A Phat Cat guitar will be my only single coil guitar.

YAS!

;>)/
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

OH THE GLAZE!

Yaazz

I've gotten what I wanted from Phat Cats by swapping magnets, tone, EQ, and volume-wise. For me, the stock A2's are probably the worst magnets that could have been chosen for that PU, and I like A2's in humbuckers.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

That's interesting, Blueman, what have tried and what did you end up liking?

OH THE GLAZE!

Ya, I have A5 A6 in the middle and I'm gonna do A6 A8 in the bridge.

OH THE GLAZE!

I ordered a 12k Phat Cat today yaas. Dennis was salty about putting 2 different mags in tho. Wat gives? I thought it was a custom shop??
    Last edited by Clint 55; 04-26-2019 at 02:30 PM.

What was his issue? I wanna hear about this pickup when you get it.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

OH THE GLAZE!

He just started talking about how they have different charges and that he would ask MJ if it would be ok. I was going to tell him, "you know I'll just swap the A6 and 8 in there immediately," but was polite and went along. I'll for sure post about it when it arrives.

Where's the option for "Yes, and install it in the neck position"?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

OH THE GLAZE!

WAT

Quote Originally Posted by masta' c View Post
    That's interesting, Blueman, what have tried and what did you end up liking?

Being a fan of the great P-90 tones of the 1970 era (Leslie West, Carlos Santana, Tony Iommi, etc) I waned to turn a HH guitar into a p-90 one, so I got a pair of Phat Cats, geez maybe 10 years ago or so. They sounded nothing like P-90's. The neck was powerful and dark with almost no high-end, sounded like it was locked in a closet (and that's with 500k's), while the bridge was under-powered & dominated by the neck. So I put an A3 in the neck to add treble (A3/A2), then an A4 (A4/A2), then an A5 (A5/A2), each getting progressively more high-end and clarity but still not where I wanted it to be. At that point I decided the A2 had to go. I settled on an A5/A4 pair in the neck slot, as it has a little less low end than twin A5's (less chance of being boomy), and is a bit less mid-scooped for a slightly fuller sound. I put an A5/A3 in the neck slot of an Epi SG, and it sounded 'chimey' in that guitar. Forum member Zhang said the neck Phat Cat is wound too hot, and took 1K of windings off of his to brighten it. He described the bridge PC as 'weak and puny' (so it's not just me!)

The A2's in the bridge PC of my guitar got yanked right off the bat. I tried a few combinations (A4/A4, UOA5/UOA5, etc) and and was most pleased with an A8/A4. The A8 adds warmth, mids, and output; something that I think bridge P-90's can often use, especially as they tend to sit lower than neck p-90's. The A4 moderates things, as twin A8's can be too in-your-face.

I've had no noticeable degaussing from using different strength magnets. The guy at Duncan didn't need to worry. I have a true P-90 set of BG's, and they came with a factory A4/A2 in each. I'd bet there's been mismatched magnets in various P-90's for decades, even if on a small scale. In HB's the Iommi Signature bridge has an A2 with ceramic side bars.

Think about this: in HB's there's 1/2 magnet per coil. In P-90's there's 2 magnets per coil. 4 times the magnet ratio. That gives you the ability to dial in your EQ much more precisely with a P-90 than a HB (unless you're a pickup winder, which few of us are).

In relaying my magnet experiments here over the years, a number of forum members have used my pairings or come up with their own. I like when people think outside the box.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

I've got a LOT of guitars with P-90 pups. I don't think a single one doesn't have different value mags. No problems at all over the years. They all sound just as great as when I put the different magnets in.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

I had a set in a SG clone but I found them somewhat tame and they were noisy in my playing space. Eventually ended with the dimarzio bluesbucker in the neck and a Iommi in the bridge. I'm curious to hear what kind of tones you get.