Thread: TC Spark vs Maxon OD9 - big low end vs mid range punch

Thumbs up TC Spark vs Maxon OD9 - big low end vs mid range punch

Probably some of the best when it comes to both boosting an amp/pedal and as standalone overdrives, imho. Extremely dynamic, able to go from high gain to sparkly cleans on a strat with picking dynamics alone. Even with the gain dimed, turning the volume knob down to get cleans is just overkill, a light pick attack will do just fine.

A picture is worth a thousand words and a Sennheiser E906 recording is worth about 2.5 times that so here's my comparison with a 50's Strat through an edge of breakup tube amp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI2NpN_ASOc

They both have their own thing going. The Maxon OD9 is definately The Classic Tube Screamer to have imho, but the TC Spark is no slouch either! Versatile EQ, three drive modes (thick bass, transparent clean and TS-style), but most importantly, lots of clean volume and low end! No bass and presence cut with this one.

And so what would be your favorite boost pedal of all for a nice crunchy tube amp?
    You'll find gear demos, gear reviews, gear shootouts, gear comparisons, gear gear and music here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChn...r-d7OnnwWbAs9g

Default Re: TC Spark vs Maxon OD9 - big low end vs mid range punch

I'm currently experimenting with the Xotic BB Preamp, and the Xotic AC Boost, used independently and together, getting some nice tones out of them, still in the tweaking stage, though....

Little Pigbacon

Of the two, I have played through the OD9. I love that pedal. I put it head-to-head against a TS9 and a TS808, and it won me over by quite a margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
    Of the two, I have played through the OD9. I love that pedal. I put it head-to-head against a TS9 and a TS808, and it won me over by quite a margin.
    That was my experience as well. I've had one since 2004; these days I'm using it to push my Lead 12 Mini Stack with a bit of tone shaping thrown in.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

I have a TC Spark booster pedal that works pleasingly well with my DigiTech Bad Monkey OD pedal and modified Boss DS-1 distortion pedal. The TC was a gift and I've enjoyed it immensely.

;>)/
    Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Ever since I was introduced to the Klon circuit, I started thinking of Tube Screamers as second-class citizens. I still think the MXR GT-OD is the best of those I've tried, though, and I still have one on my board.

Quote Originally Posted by RorySquier View Post
    I have a TC Spark booster pedal that works pleasingly well with my DigiTech Bad Monkey OD pedal and modified Boss DS-1 distortion pedal. The TC was a gift and I've enjoyed it immensely. ;>)/
    Well that's an amazing gift to get! My TC Spark also works wonders on my Boss DS1. I've never played the Bad Monkey, but it looks good with that bass knob. Wondering if it has enough volume for pushing a clean amp though.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam1963 View Post
    I'm currently experimenting with the Xotic BB Preamp, and the Xotic AC Boost, used independently and together, getting some nice tones out of them, still in the tweaking stage, though....
    Stacking drive is definitely awesome! BTW what amp are you running them into?
    You'll find gear demos, gear reviews, gear shootouts, gear comparisons, gear gear and music here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChn...r-d7OnnwWbAs9g

Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    That was my experience as well. I've had one since 2004; these days I'm using it to push my Lead 12 Mini Stack with a bit of tone shaping thrown in.
    Works wonders especially on an overdriven amp, plus the build quality on the OD9 is top notch!

Quote Originally Posted by misterwhizzy View Post
    Ever since I was introduced to the Klon circuit, I started thinking of Tube Screamers as second-class citizens. I still think the MXR GT-OD is the best of those I've tried, though, and I still have one on my board.
    I like the fact that the Klon has a lot of volume on tap! And that with the gain at zero it is completely clean. But it is a colored boost just like the tube screamers. Different colors, both great!

Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar

Stacking with the BB Preamp is instant winning.
    But stacking two ODs or and OD and a boost, or two character boosts can make some great combos!

Other favorites of mine for stacking are the Catalinbread Naga Viper, Bogner Harlow, and Thundertomate Fat Boost.

EDIT: Forgot to add the z.vex SHO!
    Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 04-24-2019 at 04:58 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
    Stacking with the BB Preamp is instant winning.
    But stacking two ODs or and OD and a boost, or two character boosts can make some great combos!

Other favorites of mine for stacking are the Catalinbread Naga Viper, Bogner Harlow, and Thundertomate Fat Boost.

EDIT: Forgot to add the z.vex SHO!
    Thundertomate is a new one to me, will check them out! BTW, what amp are you running all that goodness into?

Quote Originally Posted by ilikeoverdrive View Post
    Well that's an amazing gift to get! My TC Spark also works wonders on my Boss DS1. I've never played the Bad Monkey, but it looks good with that bass knob. Wondering if it has enough volume for pushing a clean amp though.

Stacking drive is definitely awesome! BTW what amp are you running them into?
    Right now, I'm running them into a Vox AC30 CC2, a Fender Twin, and a Marshall DSL 100, getting really usable tones out of each! Guitars are a Fender Telecaster HH FMT, and a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard w/ custom Burstbuckers...

Right now, I'm running them into a Vox AC30 CC2, a Fender Twin, and a Marshall DSL 100, getting really usable tones out of each! Guitars are a Fender Telecaster HH FMT, and a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Standard w/ custom Burstbuckers...
    With those amps you have all the bases covered! Maybe a single coil strat is all that might be added in there

With those amps you have all the bases covered! Maybe a single coil strat is all that might be added in there
    That's in Phase 2....

Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar

Thundertomate is a new one to me, will check them out! BTW, what amp are you running all that goodness into?
    My main amp heads are:
    Bumbox Cielo (50W JMP clone)
    Lil Dawg Champster (5W valve Champ clone, custom build)
    EAST Amplification Studio 2 (2W valve amp, custom build)
    MESA Trem-O-Verb

My main cabs are:
    Mid-late '70s Hiwatt 4x12 with Fane Crescendos (square back)
    Marshall 2x12 with Eminence Wizards
    Epiphone open back 1x12 with Weber Alinico speaker
    Randall Iso Cab with Eminence Swamp Thang (12")

EDIT: Sounds like this, btw

Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 04-24-2019 at 08:29 PM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

And so what would be your favorite boost pedal of all for a nice crunchy tube amp?
    Well, the 805, of course. It has a 3 band active EQ, and more gain range than most TS-based pedals.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Well, the 805, of course. It has a 3 band active EQ, and more gain range than most TS-based pedals.
    That's an awesome one! The Maxon OD9 is a very classic but specific tone, it does some stuff but it sounds like a tube screamer not matter what, for better or worse.

Now with the SD805 adding EQ (especially BASS!) knobs you really increase the versatility exponentially, plus you still have that screamer tone in there. Some might stick to the classic no matter what, but I think everyone should try as much as possible and settle for what works for them. BTW, does the 805 have more volume on tap than a TS9/OD9 or just distortion gain?

Little Pigbacon

Just checked a demo of that... Damn, it has VOLUME! And it doesn't seem to cut as much bass as a tube screamer!

Wish I had one to compare against the Spark