Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Port City OS wave 2x12 speaker considerations

Default Port City OS wave 2x12 speaker considerations

Recently grabbed up an empty Port City OS Wave 2x12 cab. I am thinking about putting a Celestion Gold and a Celestion V Type in it as I have those two on hand. Both 16 ohms. I have heard differing opinions on the Gold in a closed back, but the Port City does have the front port. Just curious about mixing the Gold with another speaker, and in a ported cab. I plan on trying it but if I was to get a lot of negative feedback I might ditch the idea. Both speakers are in other cabs so I am just trying to save some headache if it's not a good idea. Amp is a Marshall DSL40CR - styles are clean, instrumental rock, 80's hard rock, dirty blues.
    If anyone else has this cab I'd love to hear what you loaded into it and what you think of your combination.
    thanks as always.

Default Re: Port City OS wave 2x12 speaker considerations

since you have both speakers, i see no reason not to try it

Default Port City OS wave 2x12 speaker considerations

I have that cab.
    I have a Splawn Small Block paired with a Celestion G12t-75.
    It works great for me. I play rock/hard rock through a Quickrod, Blackstar and JCM 800.

Iím donít have any experience with the speakers you currently have so I canít help there, but since youíve got them on hand thereís reason to not install them and see.

yep, will try them this weekend if I can, gotta work my damn day job. I think the Gold is rated higher in sensitivity, 100db vs 98 db for the V Type. Will the Gold dominate in the cab?

yes a little bit. matchless used to put a g12m and g12h in cabs and that combo sounded great even though the g12h is 3db more efficient