Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Kemper - what's the point?

Default Re: Kemper - what's the point?

Then again, who needs more amps when we know that nothing sounds better than an SLO?
    Last edited by Sirion; 05-15-2019 at 07:53 AM.

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Let's say my favorite tone is a Way Huge Green Rhino with my specific settings, a modified Dual Recto with a specific set of tubes, and a mystery 4X12 with no-name speakers. The Kemper will profile all of that. Turning on the Tube Screamer on my POD XT with a Dual Recto model and one of the 4X12 cabinet settings will not sound the same.

I'm not saying it's necessary, because I can get a tone I like with more or less any reasonable stack of gear, just saying that it's not the same.
    Which is interesting, because everyone says they can tell the difference between Kemper and real tubes, which means it doesn't sound the same either....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

To borrow from David Spade "real that sounds like it's fake, fake that sounds like it's real..."

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    The way your guitar amp sounds depends on the room it's in, the number of people in that room, the air density/temperature, etc. That's why exactly the same amp with exactly the same settings will sound different from place to place. I doubt that the Kemper can capture all of these variables.
    Which is what cracks me up about the Uber-tone at a gig guys. These must be guys that meant to say "If I ever did a gig....I'd want..."

Because, you know, the difference between a POD and a Kemper through PA that is filling a parking lot is night and day!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirion View Post
    Then again, who needs more amps when we know that nothing sounds better than an SLO?
    You mean a real SLO (How many have actually heard one of those in a room anyway?), not a modeled SLO. Except the Kemper model, which is still not the same as the real tube amp. except for your Personally modeled SLO....

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    You mean a real SLO (How many have actually heard one of those in a room anyway?), not a modeled SLO. Except the Kemper model, which is still not the same as the real tube amp. except for your Personally modeled SLO....
    I have no idea about how a Kemper-modelled one would sound, but the original is plenty for me!

It doesn't take much brain power to understand what the Kemper does/is.

From the homepage:

https://www.kemper-amps.com/products/profiler/line-up

The PROFILER allows you to capture the sonic DNA of any amp with the press of a single button - a unique technology, called PROFILING™, invented by KEMPER™.
    Is it the best sounding amp in the world? Doubt it... but/and that's kinda just a "semantics" question due to the design of the Kemper (it's a profiler).

But one can surmise that it sounds very close to the real thing (whatever amp(s) you've profiled).

It's meant for two things:

1) tone-cloning other amps with excellent accuracy
    2) a portable amp "farm"

Possible scenarios:

1) guitarist never owned and doesn't have the $ for a vintage 1968 Plexi; grabs the '68 Plexi Kemper profile and now can haz Plexi tone
    2) guitarist with a barn full of vintage amps tone-clones all of them so he can protect his investments and use the Kemper for playing out
    3) guitarist with 3 amps doesn't want to lug them around due to weight/space concerns; Tone-clones them into the Kemper for playing out
    4) guitarist has 1 amp for clean and 1 amp for dirt; Tone-clones them into the Kemper and can switch between amps easily
    5) studio owner loads up Kemper with tons of amp profiles for his clients to peruse/use

etc...
    Lefty Lounge Lizard's Guitars & Amps Extravaganza

Fastest ears in the West

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    I thought it sounded great, until I heard something that sounded good.
    Guitaramped.com

So you are saying you have read the thread?

The PROFILER allows you to capture the sonic DNA of any amp with the press of a single button - a unique technology, called PROFILING™, invented by KEMPER™.
    This is some of the most useless ad-speak crap that I've ever heard for a product. "sonic DNA" is a made up term that could mean anything, and is captured using a 'unique technology'. Which again, could mean anything.

I strongly suspect "We run a frequency sweep through the amp a couple times to figure out it's relative EQ, then do multi-band tests of compression, and check the waveform for irregularities . . . . plug it into an algorithm and by hitting it with some DSP, a multiband EQ, and some multi-band compression end up with something that sounds like it's in the same ballpark." would be a lot more honest.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

This is some of the most useless ad-speak crap that I've ever heard for a product. "sonic DNA" is a made up term that could mean anything, and is captured using a 'unique technology'. Which again, could mean anything.

I strongly suspect "We run a frequency sweep through the amp a couple times to figure out it's relative EQ, then do multi-band tests of compression, and check the waveform for irregularities . . . . plug it into an algorithm and by hitting it with some DSP, a multiband EQ, and some multi-band compression end up with something that sounds like it's in the same ballpark." would be a lot more honest.
    I'm guessing that you will not be adding one to your collection any time soon. Which is fine. Neither you, nor anyone else is obligated to purchase one. Just as anyone who has purchased and been satisfied with one is obligated to care that some don't see the point in doing so.
    It's a marvelous world that we live in.

https://www.musicradar.com/amp/news/...g-amps-onstage

if Mark Knopfler can buy in to Kemper it would seem it must do a mighty fine job...
    EOS

8 strings of madness! JB_From_Hell's Avatar

Which is interesting, because everyone says they can tell the difference between Kemper and real tubes, which means it doesn't sound the same either....
    $50 says if you did a double-blind test with two identical amps, and told the guy playing one was a Kemper, AXE-FX or whatever modeler, they’d hear all sorts of giveaways that one was digital.

If my clean sound was my vintage Super Reverb with a Green Rhino set a certain way, my rhythm sound was a Dual Recto with a different drive pedal set another way, and my lead tone was a SLO with yet another pedal, or the same pedal with different settings, and I could afford to have them all in one device that got close enough to the original sounds for my ears, I’d do it.

Even if I wasn’t touring, I’d love to have that at home. Since I got the POD XT, I’ve been spending way more time playing than messing with different pedals. Despite the claims that too many options leads to endless knob twiddling, the opposite has been true for me. Yeah, when I first got it, I spent a few days dorking around getting tones, but since then, I spend a minute or tweaking to fit the particular guitar, then it’s just playing. Beyond that, I’ve even started saving presets for each guitar, so the tweaking is just maybe a little more treble to compensate for old strings.

I love the POD, and could likely be happy with it indefinitely. However, if I could suddenly afford a higher end unit, I’d love to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    I'm guessing that you will not be adding one to your collection any time soon. Which is fine. Neither you, nor anyone else is obligated to purchase one. Just as anyone who has purchased and been satisfied with one is obligated to care that some don't see the point in doing so.
    It's a marvelous world that we live in.

Wouldn't say that necessarily . . . I've mentioned it already, but I think the Kemper thing is a really cool idea. I've heard plenty of great music from modelling, so I'm sure they sound decent.

Just not a fan or worthless ad speak. Talk sense, or don't say anything.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Wouldn't say that necessarily . . . I've mentioned it already, but I think the Kemper thing is a really cool idea. I've heard plenty of great music from modelling, so I'm sure they sound decent.

Just not a fan or worthless ad speak. Talk sense, or don't say anything.
    I agree. Cutting through newspeak and marketing lingo to understand what one is actually getting is virtually always a worthy pursuit, in my opinion.

Well, Kemper does not come with my Tubemeister 18 sound out of the box. And, the tiny size makes it a no brainer for carrying to small gigs. Yet Kemper models Sansamp pedals. WTF?!?!?!?

So, I COULD model all four sound combos with the Kemper - or I could just use the Tubemeister, the foot switch, and toss a pedal of choice in there.

Tubemeister 18 > Kemper

Tubemeister 18 > Kemper
    f(Ace) = Tubemeister 18 > Kemper

f(everyone else) = (Kemper || tube amp) = (Kemper |= tube amp) = 3.1415

...because we like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demanic
    Incompetence is widespread in a world that rewards mediocrity while punishing excellence.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarFanatic
    I am currently using Skullcandy headphones I found in the garbage.
    I did find the DS-1 in the garbage.
    I once found a guitar amp in the garbage, a Peavey Studio 110. It caught fire at the first gig I played it at.. But it was at the end of it, thank god.

8 strings of madness! JB_From_Hell's Avatar

Well, Kemper does not come with my Tubemeister 18 sound out of the box. And, the tiny size makes it a no brainer for carrying to small gigs. Yet Kemper models Sansamp pedals. WTF?!?!?!?

So, I COULD model all four sound combos with the Kemper - or I could just use the Tubemeister, the foot switch, and toss a pedal of choice in there.

Tubemeister 18 > Kemper
    https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/in...ubemeister-18/

If you think uber-tone guys at a gig are silly, why bother taking a tube amp?

I think the point is Vinnie (un-Ace) loves to piss and moan about confusing new technology.

Fastest ears in the West

Guitaramped.com

Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    I think the point is Vinnie (un-Ace) loves to piss and moan about confusing new technology.
    New technology? From the guy who made a video on how to turn a vintage Marshall into a TC Dark Matter pedal.

New technology? From the guy who made a video on how to turn a vintage Marshall into a TC Dark Matter pedal.
    New technology is your friend, Vinnie.

(from the guy who taps a line level signal off a plexi and uses speaker iRs in a DAW... among many other advanced rig and studio concepts; some old some new)

Fastest ears in the West

Guitaramped.com