Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alnico 5 neck and Ceramic bridge for rock?

Default Alnico 5 neck and Ceramic bridge for rock?

I'm considering putting an SD 59 in the neck position of my strat equipped with a black winter trembucker in the bridge. This is a basswood strat with a hot ceramic bridge geared toward hard rock and heavier stuff (I dabble in metal) but I'm wondering how the a5 mags will sound with the ceramic bridge. The bridge having more bite is something I think I'd prefer, so that factor shouldn't be an issue unless it's an extreme difference.

Default Re: Alnico 5 neck and Ceramic bridge for rock?

It will be a pretty big difference since the 59 is pretty fat sounding. But sounds like that's what you're going for.
    I'm gonna rescue you
    So you can rescue me too
    Make it a rendezvous

Ultimate Tone Slacker KNUCKLHEAD's Avatar

since >> geared toward hard rock and heavier stuff (I dabble in metal) ~ they may Compliment cool together ( Especially with Todays versatile Tube Circuits ) I Know I could get it to work thru My gear , in Fact I Already do it and it works Killer ( Chopper T bridge / Twisted T - Neck )

Worry about how the whole pickups will sound matched together not their magnets.
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Quote Originally Posted by Edgecrusher View Post
    Worry about how the whole pickups will sound matched together not their magnets.

This. Duncan recommends the (A5) 59n with the (ceramic) Custom. But they only recommend the Black Winter neck with the BW bridge. That doesn’t mean a 59 won’t work, but if it doesn’t, it’s because of the entire wind, not just the magnet.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rex_Rocker's Avatar

I actually used to have a Black Winter Trembucker paired with a '59 Bridge in the neck. It worked fine. If you don't mind the neck pickup to be weaker than the bridge (which I do, personally), then it's a good working combo, especially if you're going for a modern tone in the bridge, and a vintage tone in the neck. I wouldn't go for a '59N, though. I would think the Black Winter would destroy it in terms of output.

Thanks for all the replies guys, sounds like a 59 may not be the best choice for me. Does anyone know if a sentient would be able to match better in terms of output and still warm up well (less bite)?

i think the 59b in the neck is a good suggestion if you want a paf like flavor that will better match with the bw bridge. the 59n might be a little light

Quote Originally Posted by KNUCKLHEAD View Post
    since >> geared toward hard rock and heavier stuff (I dabble in metal) ~ they may Compliment cool together ( Especially with Todays versatile Tube Circuits ) I Know I could get it to work thru My gear , in Fact I Already do it and it works Killer ( Chopper T bridge / Twisted T - Neck )

^^^ Like I already said in Tele this works Killer - just Figure which Strat Neck model ( I Also knew a guy who played a Chopper bridge Strat thru Boogie Rectifier that got a unique sound for H-rock / Metal stuff as well

I Dont Believe in Worry ~ I just deal with Szhitt

Ultimate Tone Member

Why haven't you considered a black winter neck?

Npinedo13 or Myself ?

Ultimate Tone Member

Either of you. The BW neck sounds versatile enough in the demos I've heard, and its more likely to balance properly with the BW bridge.

ok , but how knowledgable ( Not from Websites or Forums ) are U 1st hand on the versatility of the twisted Tele neck Thru Good Tube Amps ?

Ultimate Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNUCKLHEAD View Post
    ok , but how knowledgable ( Not from Websites or Forums ) are U 1st hand on the versatility of the twisted Tele neck Thru Good Tube Amps ?
    I misunderstood your application. Chopper, yes I'm reasonably familiar with (first hand), but Twisted Tele I have no experience with that!

I contacted SD and was told the BW neck model would most likely be more biting than I like since I'm looking for a warmer "vintage-esque" sound. They suggested the sentient neck as it had the power to match the BW but would be warmer (closer to a 59 type sound)

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rex_Rocker's Avatar

FWIW, I didn't think either the '59N or B is "warmer" than the BW-N. The BW may be hotter, but it's also not as sparkly. You get the sparkle from it by running it in parallel or split. The tone is you get from the higher DCR is darker, as you'd expect. Honestly, the last thing I'd call either of the '59 winds (or any A5 Duncan I've tried in the 7-8K range, for that matter) is "warm".
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 05-02-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Ultimate Tone Member

From my limited experience mixing A5 neck humbucker with ceramic magnet humbucker (a DP255), the issue is that you have to trade brightness to get sufficient output level. When you raise the neck pickup close to strings you will normally have a less defined, warmer or slightly more muddy tone. In that case it helps to start off with a bright and cutting neck pickup. It just depends if you will be able to get the output level you are happy with.

The main goal is to have a fat, hot, warmer tone for hard rock with the ability to get into the metal range (I really don't play much of it) think like 80s metal/hard rock or something like the guitarist from Airbourne. so maybe an all A5 setup is the way to go? I just don't know if the a2s in a slash set can get me that bit of "bite" that I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Npinedo13 View Post
    The main goal is to have a fat, hot, warmer tone for hard rock with the ability to get into the metal range (I really don't play much of it) think like 80s metal/hard rock or something like the guitarist from Airbourne. so maybe an all A5 setup is the way to go? I just don't know if the a2s in a slash set can get me that bit of "bite" that I'm looking for.
    Custom bridge + Jazz neck, done.

I've had that combo in my Explorer since 2003 and it's great for the tones you're chasing. If you want a bit more 'vintage' tone from the Jazz, just roll off the tone a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty philtrum View Post
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Quote Originally Posted by dystrust View Post
    Custom bridge + Jazz neck, done.

I've had that combo in my Explorer since 2003 and it's great for the tones you're chasing. If you want a bit more 'vintage' tone from the Jazz, just roll off the tone a little.
    I've heard people prefer the 59 to the jazz for more rock based playing. But I've been curious how the jazz neck does with higher gain?