Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NPD: Boss OD-3 Overdrive

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Default Re: NPD: Boss OD-3 Overdrive

PM sent.

Last night at rehearsal I decided to use the OD-3 with the JMP setting on my amp instead of the JCM 800. The JMP model is a little cleaner, clearer and more crunch comparatively. The gain is set around 10 o' clock so it's a nice mid-gain sound that cleans up real nice. The OD-3 shines here. The level and tone are at noon and the drive at 1 o'clock. I'm getting plenty of push, great sustain, and even a little volume boost from it.

This is the kind of overdrive where you want to have a couple of them and keep one in the box locked up somewhere. And I might do that because if this one ever got lost, I would want another immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    I have not. Can honestly say I've never used any of this stuff in my rig. I have tried to SEM DS-1 at a guitar show years ago and a few of his own pedals, like the Java Boost and Compressor. That's all the experience I have with Keeley.

I bloody love that Java Boost . . . it works for me !
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Quote Originally Posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
    I bloody love that Java Boost . . . it works for me !
    From what I remember it was very cool. Essentially a Rangemaster clone. Come to think of it, one of the pedals I built some years back is a Java Boost, complete with the 3-way voicing toggle. I haven't used it in so long I almost forgot I had it.

This morning I ended up following up on my post about having one in the box locked up in case the one I use gets lost. Sure enough, a steal came across my Reverb feed. It's used in very good condition at a local shop. I've paid for it and my wife is going to pick it up for me. I might take the newer one I have (came in a black box instead of yellow) and put that one away and use this one with my rig. I'm glad I've starting using this OD. Don't know why I didn't try it years ago. It's great overdrive.

Edit: I should add that the one I just got was made December 2007, and through-hole components, while the one I first bought was made January 2019, also through-hole components. I guess they changed the boxes sometime between the two "eras".
    Last edited by ErikH; 06-02-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    OD3 is real sleeper/under-rated pedal
    I'll second that. Is very under the radar when it comes to Overdrive pedals.

VERY underrated. Crazy.

This thing is really good with the drive all the way down and the level all the way up. I set the tone on my rig to about 10 o'clock. A kick-ass boost. There is no problem on many settings cutting through the mix with this thing. I love the diversity.

I think part of the problem with this pedal is that it's more than 2X the cost of a SD-1 new and they both say overdrive, so most people think "I can have the super version for less than 1/2 the cost of the regular". But, they are 2 very different pedals, so maybe the OD-3 should be the "Ultra Deluxe Overdrive" or something.

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    I think part of the problem with this pedal is that it's more than 2X the cost of a SD-1 new and they both say overdrive, so most people think "I can have the super version for less than 1/2 the cost of the regular". But, they are 2 very different pedals, so maybe the OD-3 should be the "Ultra Deluxe Overdrive" or something.
    Yes, they are. The circuit of the SD-1 and the original OD-1 are quite similar. The addition of the tone control changed which out of the opamp is used for the signal and a few parts differences but overall, pretty simple circuit. I've modded the SD-1 to OD-1 specs before (at least the 8-pin chip version, not the original 14-pin chip version). The OD-3 is a completely different beast. I opened mine up and it is through-hole components and I did see a couple 1N4001's in there as clippers. Good stuff. Those are great clipping diodes. More headroom and a warmer clip, more natural sounding.

"Stunning Overdrive"

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    Yes, they are. The circuit of the SD-1 and the original OD-1 are quite similar. The addition of the tone control changed which out of the opamp is used for the signal and a few parts differences but overall, pretty simple circuit. I've modded the SD-1 to OD-1 specs before (at least the 8-pin chip version, not the original 14-pin chip version). The OD-3 is a completely different beast. I opened mine up and it is through-hole components and I did see a couple 1N4001's in there as clippers. Good stuff. Those are great clipping diodes. More headroom and a warmer clip, more natural sounding.

"Stunning Overdrive"
    The OD-3 is like neither of them, it's closer to the BD-2 than the SD or OD-1.

Quote Originally Posted by devastone View Post
    The OD-3 is like neither of them, it's closer to the BD-2 than the SD or OD-1.
    Well, yeah. I meant the SD-1 and OD-1 are quite similar to one another. I've seen the schematics of the OD-3 and it is vastly different.

I tried an OD3 next to a BD2 and at times it was hard to tell one from another.

The OD3 has a bit more low-end and has thicker mids, the BD2 is a bit more raspy and has a bit more high-end. I preferred the BD2 for low gain since it's a bit more open sounding.
    The OD3 for thicker high-gain sounds. Both sound great. I'd have a happy life boosting things with any of them.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

The BD-2 has more range of gain (dimed, it almost sounds like a fuzz), and you're right - there's a raspy thing going on all the time . . . which you either like or hate.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

I love that character it has. It gives a smooth, creamy amp a whole different flavor you probably wouldn't quite get from a TS9 or something.

It has its own thing going on and I love it.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

I poop in my KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

I have always been happy with a simple TS9 - not that I use one often. It's just been the box I've had/used all my life. I have been messing with a modded SD-1 lately. Still, OD-3 would be my goto if I was into OD's
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...