Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do solid state amps need maintenance?

Default Re: Do solid state amps need maintenance?

You would have to see the vid, but no, nothing to do with the tube. Mostly loose resistors.
    The tube was a doddle to change and livened up the amp a fair bit to my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyMonkey View Post
    You would have to see the vid, but no, nothing to do with the tube. Mostly loose resistors.
    The tube was a doddle to change and livened up the amp a fair bit to my ears.
    Probably due to heat from the tube though. Solid state amps shouldn't develop loose components generally, with the exception of maybe the jacks.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

I think most of the broken solder joints in the YT vid were too far from the tube to be attributable to valve heat. I am no expert though.
    BTW I got this amp from my LGS and tried it out first. When I got it home I changed the speaker and an inch of fluff was lying at the bottom of the cone. Looked like the owner did all his band practice in a cotton mill! The chassis was OK though. Pretty much an enclosed unit on these amps.

Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrocks View Post
    +1

Unless it breaks, leave it alone. You're more likely to break it doing "maintenance" than actually help anything.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    +2!
    I have been using and abusing the same 1978 Randall RG since 1988. It has been dropped, kicked, left on, carried up and down thousands of stairs, stored in hot attics and damp basements, and one time used at an outdoor show when the temp was 30 degrees Fahrenheit. ZERO maintenance. The master volume on the green channel has a few crackles between zero and one. That is the only hint that it is more than a couple years old.