Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about the Boss DS1 in stock form.

Default Talk to me about the Boss DS1 in stock form.

I've never owned one and I think I wanna buy one for my 34th.

I'd be using it to boost my already crunchy Tweaker with my Les Paul.
    I think it would be cool since it's a vintage style amp and guitar combination, so why not add a classic cheap box in front and see what happens?

I used to love a Blues Driver in front of this amp so gritty sounding boxes are my thing apparently.

Don't want to mod it, I know there's a million mods for it, but if it doesn't work in stock, then I'd rather pass.

Anything I could be missing here? Sounds like PB&J to me.
    Last edited by Diego; 05-07-2019 at 05:04 PM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

Default Re: Talk to me about the Boss DS1 in stock form.

I'm not a scholar of distortion boxes at all but I did have a vanilla DS1 for a while in the mid-'90s. As far as I can remember it was the only distortion pedal that I liked enough to buy it.

Little Pigbacon

My experience with that pedal has been limited to recent pressings from Taiwan. What has been happening for me is that the tone, texture, and feel vary wildly with which channel on which amp I’m using. I’ve gotten sounds everywhere from $8 Danelectro to high-dollar deluxe.

Careful with that tone control Eugene.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

The DS-1 is definitely different than the BD-2. I had both on my board for a year or so and eventually went with the BD-2. You can get the BD-2 sounding great into a completely clean, bright amp . . . but not the DS-1. The DS-1 has a kinda weird fizzy thin thing into clean channels but worked nicely into a warm sounding overdriven channel. The BD-2 is more flexible IMHO (it works as a pretty high gain pedal, it works as a clean boost, it does light gain well) and there are multiple settings I like with it. I found myself always using the same one on the DS-1 . . . level way up, tone back, gain around 12. It's not bad at all though.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

tonewood instigator

Just a general rule of thumb for setting the controls on a DS-1: Tone and volume are always in bottom half of travel, gain is always in the top half. This setup with vintage/moderate output pickups into an already slightly dirty channel is what the DS-1 really shines at.
    Like the fool I am and I'll always be
    I've got a dream, I've got a dream
    They can change their minds but they can't change me
    Oh, I know I could share it if you'd want me to
    If you're goin' my way, I'll go with you

I poop my pants and wear KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Just remember - a DS1 is for juicing a stock Marshall 800 with a guitar with stock PAF's....

To the degree that the amp is less than far-from-mondo-distorted, but distortable, like an old 800, the better the DS1 will be.

I have used one recently with my Mesa Stiletto, just for old time's sake, but honestly no need. It can put the crunch channel into a cool place, making it like a two channel amp (or three...) but like I said - no reason....
    Last edited by Aceman; 05-07-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    The DS-1 is definitely different than the BD-2. I had both on my board for a year or so and eventually went with the BD-2. You can get the BD-2 sounding great into a completely clean, bright amp . . . but not the DS-1. The DS-1 has a kinda weird fizzy thin thing into clean channels but worked nicely into a warm sounding overdriven channel. The BD-2 is more flexible IMHO (it works as a pretty high gain pedal, it works as a clean boost, it does light gain well) and there are multiple settings I like with it. I found myself always using the same one on the DS-1 . . . level way up, tone back, gain around 12. It's not bad at all though.
    Hmm. I definitely will NOT use mine into a clean amp. My amp's always a bit gritty.

Does the DS1 clean up well when rolling the guitar volume back?
    I hate pedals that muffle themselves out when you do that. My Zvex SHO clone is amazing at that, and the BD2 was great at that too, and in fact I used it as part of the amp, always on. Grit and boost that you could roll back and have a nice bright clean-ish tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    Just remember - a DS1 is for juicing a stock Marshall 800 with a guitar with stock PAF's....

To the degree that the amp is less than far-from-mondo-distorted, but distortable, like an old 800, the better the DS1 will be.

I have used one recently with my Mesa Stiletto, just for old time's sake, but honestly no need. It can put the crunch channel into a cool place, making it like a two channel amp (or three...) but like I said - no reason....
    That's the way I set my amp. Slightly crunchy and I'd use my LP which has Probuckers, Alnico II PAF based pickups. Love 'em.

The DS1 should be great but I might go back to a Blues Driver. That grit it has is something else.

Super Toneologist DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

If you want more bang for your buck, check out the Behringer DM100 Distortion Modeler. It has a three way switch to choose between DS-1, MXR Distortion +, and Proco Rat. And itís under $30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    If you want more bang for your buck, check out the Behringer DM100 Distortion Modeler. It has a three way switch to choose between DS-1, MXR Distortion +, and Proco Rat. And itís under $30.

Oh, that would be nice but I've got a Line 6 M13 already. I just want a classic standalone 9 volts dirt box to go with my rig, so it's gotta be a Boss. Not to mention I'll get every peso back if I sell it back!

I think I won't reinvent the wheel and just get a BD2 again.

As a boost for a crunchy amp, gain around 10 - 11 o' clock, tone ~ 9 - 12 o' clock (season to taste), output ~1 o'clock (more if necessary).

Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    Oh, that would be nice but I've got a Line 6 M13 already. I just want a classic standalone 9 volts dirt box to go with my rig, so it's gotta be a Boss. Not to mention I'll get every peso back if I sell it back!

I think I won't reinvent the wheel and just get a BD2 again.
    They say ďmodelerĒ but itís just a stomp box. Those three circuits are very similar. Itís easy to change a few parts.

There are a few easy mods for the DS-1 that really help. Grab an older used one off Reverb and start ripping out components.

I poop my pants and wear KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    If you want more bang for your buck, check out the Behringer DM100 Distortion Modeler. It has a three way switch to choose between DS-1, MXR Distortion +, and Proco Rat. And it’s under $30.

That's a sweet combo of choices. That would kill in a high quality pedal....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    That's a sweet combo of choices. That would kill in a high quality pedal....
    It sounds good from the demos Iíve seen. Itís a plastic case, but I still have an old SoundTank chorus from the 80s. It hasnít broken.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Nostalgic Distortion's Avatar

The DS-1 is an absolutely fantastic, amazing, & useful distortion pedal, TO MOD.....
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

In my experience over the years, the older MIJ ones sound better than the newer ones with the different chip. I've had plenty of the post 2000 DS-1's and each time I ended up selling them or modding them and then selling them later on. The best mod I found, for what I like, is on Jack Orman's blog called the Fat Mod. Two resistors lower the gain and re-bias the input transistor (which is overdriven in stock form). It sounds much better with that change. For me, the DS-1 always worked better with single-coils vs. humbuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    Thanks guys!

Hmm. I definitely will NOT use mine into a clean amp. My amp's always a bit gritty.

Does the DS1 clean up well when rolling the guitar volume back?
    I hate pedals that muffle themselves out when you do that. My Zvex SHO clone is amazing at that, and the BD2 was great at that too, and in fact I used it as part of the amp, always on. Grit and boost that you could roll back and have a nice bright clean-ish tone.
    This sounds like an ideal case to use a DS-1 to be honest. I found the pedal to clean up reasonably well when rolling back volume, and it works best into an already gritty amp. The DS-1 isn't a muffled sounding pedal by any means.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    In my experience over the years, the older MIJ ones sound better than the newer ones with the different chip. I've had plenty of the post 2000 DS-1's and each time I ended up selling them or modding them and then selling them later on. The best mod I found, for what I like, is on Jack Orman's blog called the Fat Mod. Two resistors lower the gain and re-bias the input transistor (which is overdriven in stock form). It sounds much better with that change. For me, the DS-1 always worked better with single-coils vs. humbuckers.
    This used in tandem with the Brian Wampler JCM800 mod is truly a thing of beauty. You can also install a switch to change R13 to 1k and C8 to 1uf if you ever feel the need for balls through the wall level of gain.
    Like the fool I am and I'll always be
    They can change their minds but they can't change me
    Oh, I know I could share it if you'd want me to
    If you're goin' my way, I'll go with you