Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Older Squire update

Default Older Squire update

Hi, first post!

I'm updating one of my E series squire strat's, its a red body/white pick guard with a rose neck. Currently has a Area 58 neck, Drucbucker mid and Hot rails bridge, I play mostly rock/light metal through a DSL-40C.

I am changing the pick guard to a Ivory/abalone one, Wilkinson bridge, Tusq Xl nut, CTS 500K pots with a no load on the tone. Will have the blender wiring, thinking of doing a phase shift or coil split with a push pull.

In my box of pickups I found a little 59 neck and a JB JR Bridge. I am pretty happy with the Area 58, it's nice and plinky, but I'm thinking of trying the JB JR in the bridge. I listened to some sound clips on YT, but because of the different amps and people that should not be recording their playing I am not sure it'll be a good move. I looked at the tones and levels when I compared them in the pickup selector area, they seem similar, just a lower output from the JB JR.

Anyone have any first hand experience using both pickups in the same guitar and same position? Think I want to make this guitar a little more Strat traditional, I have other guitars with PAF's and EMG's for the really crunchy stuff.

Default Re: Older Squire update

Quote Originally Posted by Outa_Tune View Post
    Hi, first post!

I'm updating one of my E series squire strat's, its a red body/white pick guard with a rose neck. Currently has a Area 58 neck, Drucbucker mid and Hot rails bridge, I play mostly rock/light metal through a DSL-40C.

I am changing the pick guard to a Ivory/abalone one, Wilkinson bridge, Tusq Xl nut, CTS 500K pots with a no load on the tone. Will have the blender wiring, thinking of doing a phase shift or coil split with a push pull.

In my box of pickups I found a little 59 neck and a JB JR Bridge. I am pretty happy with the Area 58, it's nice and plinky, but I'm thinking of trying the JB JR in the bridge. I listened to some sound clips on YT, but because of the different amps and people that should not be recording their playing I am not sure it'll be a good move. I looked at the tones and levels when I compared them in the pickup selector area, they seem similar, just a lower output from the JB JR.

Anyone have any first hand experience using both pickups in the same guitar and same position? Think I want to make this guitar a little more Strat traditional, I have other guitars with PAF's and EMG's for the really crunchy stuff.
    If you want to make it more Strat traditional, why are you considering single sized humbuckers? You're not going to get even close.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

If I were you, I would sell the two pickups you have and buy 2 more of the Area pickups to go with the one you like. An Area 61 or VV54Pro for the bridge, and another Area 58, or an Area 67 for the neck

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    If you want to make it more Strat traditional, why are you considering single sized humbuckers? You're not going to get even close.
    I can't do single coils in my house, too much 60Hz hum despite proper shielding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    If I were you, I would sell the two pickups you have and buy 2 more of the Area pickups to go with the one you like. An Area 61 or VV54Pro for the bridge, and another Area 58, or an Area 67 for the neck
    Not a bad idea, though I really like the drucbucker I'd bet the Area will sound as good or better.

You *could* try the Lil 59 and JB Jr in parallel. They'll still be noiseless, but they'll be brighter and quieter than in full series mode.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

I tried using the JB JR, Drucbucker and Area 58, but with the output of the area 58 being lower than the Duncans the guitar wasn't balanced. The blender didn't work well with 2 unevenly matched pickups. I ended up putting the lil 59 in the neck, so I have the everything axe combo with the blender mod now.

The JB JR is nice, no where near as hot as the hot rails, but lately I've been enjoying less distortion and more tone so this is pretty good for now. The Lil 59 is a bit muddy for me, and the drucbucker is not as "Fender" as I'd like, so overall I'm not 100% satisfied but it's not bad for using stuff I already had. Think I'm gonna get a MIA Strat with the noiseless pickups to satisfy that urge. Seems like every time I mess with pickups I learn the same lesson over, you can't get every tone you want in one guitar.

Going to post up the Area 58 for sale.

Welcome to the forum!

The JB Jr, no matter how it is wired, won't ever sound very traditional. The Little 59, might be a tiny bit closer, but just a tiny bit. I'd almost think 2 Classic Stacks would be better in the neck and bridge. Noiseless, too.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.