Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A grittier sounding 808/TS9 ?

Default Re: A grittier sounding 808/TS9 ?

Quote Originally Posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
    I saw a Blues Rock band last night, and the guitar player used the usual suspects.
    Fender Strat, TS9, (some 2nd overdrive . . . i think it was an Akai unit) and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (40W, 1X12)

It is the best Strat tone that i have heard live / attended.
    I was never a tube screamer fan, and sold my TS9 a year ago.
    I am wiling to try again, but this time i am looking for an overdrive with all the 808/TS9 qualities, but slighly grittier in it's tonal charcter.

Is there such a thing ?

Thanks to all.
    Try a TS808 with a battery thatís got less juice. I donít mean like about to die but not putting out a proper 9v.

Alternatively you could use the MXR iso brick and bring the voltage down to 6-7v but the good part is itíll still supply the same MA current.

Youíll find the sound is more full and less top endy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimate Tone Slacker eclecticsynergy's Avatar

Tubescreamers stack famously well with other ODs. Some of the magic in that tone you liked so much probably was due to the combination of pedals that guitarist was using.

Lovepedal makes a drive called the Valve Reamer, said to be a hybrid of the TS808 and SD-9 circuits.
    I haven't seen the schematic but the thing behaves like a fatter TS with a bad attitude.
    "Brains have been washed. Wheels have been greased. Fear has been mongered. Now we prepare for the final stage of our conspiracy theory."

Ultimate Tone Slacker Nostalgic Distortion's Avatar

The Lovepedal Valve Reamer is pretty gritty & fits your prerequisite pretty well...

Personally I’m a big fan of TS style pedals that have active EQ’s like the Wampler Clarksdale or even Duncan’s 805.....
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
    Tubescreamers stack famously well with other ODs. Some of the magic in that tone you liked so much probably was due to the combination of pedals that guitarist was using.

Lovepedal makes a drive called the Valve Reamer, said to be a hybrid of the TS808 and SD-9 circuits.
    I haven't seen the schematic but the thing behaves like a fatter TS with a bad attitude.
    Thanks for the heads-up.
    Deff gonna look into that one this evening.
    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West