Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations welcomed for new 24 fret guitars that don't suck!

Default Recommendations welcomed for new 24 fret guitars that don't suck!

This is my first post since joining the forums and I will greatly appreciate your patience with my noobness. So, I have tried to play some Schecter, Jackson, ESP, and Ibanez. I am 41 so I've been around for a bit and my main stage guitar is my 2015 Gibson SG standard and a mij Fender 69 thinline reissue with SD Antiquities. I am grateful for the awesome gear I have but I would like to have a little 24 fret shreddin' goodness too. I have an Ibanez RG 270b but I'm just wondering if any of y'all have a newer model guitar that's24 frets, with 6 strings, for standard tuning you really dig on or would recommend ��. Thank you!
    Last edited by MikeyPikey; 05-13-2019 at 09:29 PM.

Default Re: Recommendations welcomed for new 24 fret guitars that don't suck!

I like the S series Ibanez guitars
    With the thinner RG shape

But that's me
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar

I've got this same BC Rich Jr V deluxe
    And it is absolutely perfect in every way.
    Frets, weight, sound, ebony board, neck thru, original Floyd.... It's always in tune, it's flat and fast... I can't say enough about it, must have been built on a wednesday.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-C-Rich-Jr...0AAOSwPVBcdEaS

You can find them cheaper than 1k FYI.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-C-Rich-JR...AAAOSwRJFcwg~W

I also owned a "not deluxe" version, and it was mediocre,
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 05-13-2019 at 09:47 PM.

My Schecter C-1 Platinum and PRS SE Custom 24 are both 24 frets. Both sound great and play like butter. The PRS has a sweet trem that’ll do all the Floyd noises, too.

Easy I have a 2017 Kiesel DC that is my #1. Own 15 other guitars play this one by far the most.
    24 fret neck 25 scale thin profile option 14 radius Jumbo SS frets ebony board maple neck alder body.
    Guitar is absolute perfection in fit and finish, plays like butter, sounds amazing, sustains for days and stays in tune!
    Would be right around $1800 to build today and is worth every last penny!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 Keisel DC 135 1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	98320
    Last edited by Ascension; 05-13-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Fender 99 Mex modded Strat, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120, Taylor 115
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    I like the S series Ibanez guitars
    With the thinner RG shape

But that's me
    Love my Saber's but they're mostly 22 frets. I think some of the newer models are 24 though. My 7 string S7420 has 24 and a nice ZR trem, so a 7 string shred machine ...not for djenty jun, jun, jun!
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

My first good guitar (purchased in '82) was a 24 frets. It does not suck !

I am currently transcribing violin concertos for electric guitar so I will definitely not team with those who complain about the 24 frets for tonal issues (especially if they play their leads with the bridge pickup (Do not take this bad I also play these pieces on some 21 frets guitars and that then requires a 3 half tones bends on the 21st fret. This does not make it easier.

Here is my only 24 fret guitar (currently tuned to the Nashville Tuning - It plays to intro to PF" Hey You") :

ARIA PRO II - RS-X80 (Sept 1981 - Matsumoku) designed by H. Noble-san and inspired by Alembic :

Name:	PA201473.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	98325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA201474.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	98326
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

I poop my pants and wear KISS diapers Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Define "suck"

I play a Jackson JS32 King V a lot on stage. It does not 'suck'

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1542.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	98329
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Ultimate Tone Slacker NecroPolo's Avatar

I'm recently taking care of a friend's two 24-fret Ibanez axes while he's abroad: a simple RG421MOL workhorse and an RGIB baritone, both loaded with SD Nazgul / Sentient. I was never into these guitars as everyone around my place use them (I don't like go where the crowd goes) and the vol pot is placed uncomfortably close for me.

They seem suck soooo much that I will consider to get a 400 or 500 series Ibanez axe some time after the friend returns and relocate the vol pot to the position of the tone pot that I never use anyway.
    Last edited by NecroPolo; 05-14-2019 at 06:19 AM. Reason: typos

Ibanez RG series are really quite hard to beat for playability. In the lower models, however, the pickups kind of suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Oops ! Aceman's Jackson V trem really dive bombs !
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

I think half the guitars available today have 24 frets. We might have to narrow this down a bit. Shape? Do you like headless? Any particular brand or artist you are drawn to?
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyPikey View Post
    This is my first post since joining the forums and I will greatly appreciate your patience with my noobness. So, I have tried to play some Schecter, Jackson, ESP, and Ibanez. I am 41 so I've been around for a bit and my main stage guitar is my 2015 Gibson SG standard and a mij Fender 69 thinline reissue with SD Antiquities. I am grateful for the awesome gear I have but I would like to have a little 24 fret shreddin' goodness too. I have an Ibanez RG 270b but I'm just wondering if any of y'all have a newer model guitar that's24 frets, with 6 strings, for standard tuning you really dig on or would recommend ��. Thank you!
    I was in the same boat as you - have a number of great guitars but had the bug for a 24 fret beater. I also wanted to polish up on my setup skills too, so recently got an RG421AHM, hardtail, ash body 2nd hand for around $200. You'd be familiar with the shape and feel since you have the 270b. It's decent quality, but as most people say, be prepared to swap out the p'ups and probably some minor fretwork too.

For something a little more pricey, this https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php..._24_satin_2019 is top of my list for a under a grand USA option. Probably similar feel to your SG, and personally I love satin finishes.
    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Tone Member

LTD EC1000.

Too many options. The market is freaking hot with 24 fret shredder guitars.
    Ibanez, LTD, Schecter, Dean, Jackson, Chapman, it's up to your budget and personal preference.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A2P neck + Custom bridge
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    My first good guitar (purchased in '82) was a 24 frets. It does not suck !

I am currently transcribing violin concertos for electric guitar so I will definitely not team with those who complain about the 24 frets for tonal issues (especially if they play their leads with the bridge pickup (Do not take this bad I also play these pieces on some 21 frets guitars and that then requires a 3 half tones bends on the 21st fret. This does not make it easier.

Here is my only 24 fret guitar (currently tuned to the Nashville Tuning - It plays to intro to PF" Hey You") :

ARIA PRO II - RS-X80 (Sept 1981 - Matsumoku) designed by H. Noble-san and inspired by Alembic :

Name:	PA201473.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	98325Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA201474.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	98326
    Had a couple Matsumoku build U series Arias from that era. Most here guarantee have no concept of just how good those guitars really are but I DO! WICKED COOL GUITAR!!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Fender 99 Mex modded Strat, Washburn USA MG 104, MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120, Taylor 115
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

I also say Ibanez. Get a Prestige.

Toneologist Obsessive Compulsive's Avatar

If you can't troll with less than 3 posts, you are doing it wrong.

Need more info to make a recommendation. Trem or no trem? Can you get along with super thin necks? Prefer Fender or Gibson scale?

The Gibson Modern Double Cut has 24 frets and a TOM bridge
    Also available in semihollow

Just putting it out there

Still think Ibanez is the way to go
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)